Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] No Wake On Lan since 10.13.1 High Sierra Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it doesn't make me from shutdown, but it does wale High Sierra, so that's at least a workaround, thank you.
It would be nice for remote control to wake it as well though

@Sajaan
Am on high Sierra 10.13.6 and am unable to do WOL. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME FROM BIOS SETTINGS TO ROUTER SETTINGS the whole process is as nothing works for me.

Last edited:
Alternatively, I put the network Kexts in the 10.13 folder in the clover EFI partition and it appears to have solved the same problem.

Edit: If I sleep and then wake again fairly soon afterwards, things still work. But if I sleep and wait a bit, ethernet does not work. Using appleethernet1000e v 3.3.6 on High Sierra.

SOLVED EDIT: I removed AppleEthernet100e.kext from /Library/Extensions and /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other & 10.13. I manually installed IntelMausiEthernet.kext in /Library/Extensions (and used terminal to refresh the kexts) and /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other & 10.13.

From looking around, it appears that AppleEthernet1000e appeared to be working fine for a lot of us until 10.12 or 10.13, but IntelMausiEthernet seems to handle High Sierra better.
So you mean that WOL is working even with macOS fully shut down? I mean, won't it turn off the network adapter?

It seems like wake on lan and wake on demand are not exactly same things.

Wake on lan - is hardware (bios?) feature, allowing to wake computer when ethernet or wifi gets WOL packet.

Wake on demand - is a macOS feature (introduced in Snow Leopard?) that allows seeing sleeping computer resources as awake in finder (thanks to sleep proxies like Airport or Apple TV, that keep a list of resources available on network and show to those who request it through Bonjour)

So what my problem really is, since upgrading to High Sierra WOL still works but WOD - doesn't.
I can wake computer using apps like WakeOnLan, but on Sierra I didn't have to - resources were always available even while computer sharing them was sleeping.

Anyone still has WOD working on High Sierra and above or did apple shut it down?

I have got WOL after computer shutdown working on GIGABITE GA-Z170X-Designare.
I had to add AppleIntelE1000e.kext into /Library/Extensions. Not using any kext, using IntelMausiEthernet.kext and/or AppleIGB.kext did not work.
The motherboard has two network interfaces. The second interface is working by default without any kexts. But WOL is not working after shutdown (the LEDs stop blinking). I also tried IntelMausiEthernet.kext but WOL didn't work.
The first network interface does not work by default. Adding AppleIGB.kext enables the interface. However WOL does not work after shutdown.
Finally trying adding AppleIntelE1000e.kext in /Library/Extensions made the second interface work with WOL after shutdown. (I have removed other network kexts.)

This is how I have installed the kext:

cd /Library/Extensions
sudo cp -R ~/Downloads/AppleIntelE1000e.kext .
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntelE1000e.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelE1000e.kext
sudo kextcache -i /

And then reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back