CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
EVGA GT 740 FTW
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've been happily running a custom box with a GA-797X-UD5H motherboard and an Nvidia GT 740 graphics card (EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB FTW). After installing the 10.10.3 upgrade, my setup was working but I was seeing a lot of instability with the onboard NIC. So, I re-ran MultiBeast (settings listed below) and on my next boot I didn't have any video. Everything seems to work right up to the point where it should display the login screen; at that point, the screens go blank (and quickly go into power-saver mode).

Following some advice on the forums surrounding the 10.10.1 compatible Nvidia drivers, I booted the system with -x and nv_disable=1. That worked, albeit in a super low-res mode. I then installed the latest Nvidia drivers based on this post. Then I rebooted, but I'm still having the same problem.

Any suggestions on what else I should check?

Thanks!

-Sean

MultiBeast Settings
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
DSDT Free
3rd Party SATA
10.10.3 TRIM Patch
FakeSMC v6.14.1364
AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0a
Chimera v4.1.0
Basic Boot Options
Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Kext Dev Mode
Use KernelCache
Mac Pro 6,1
tonymacx86 Black

No Graphics after 10.10.3 upgrade

After installing the drivers you have to boot using nvda_drv=1 to use the drivers.

After installing the drivers you have to boot using nvda_drv=1 to use the drivers.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Sadly, that didn't work. Manually specifying "nvda_drv=1" as a boot parameter seemed to have no effect; the screen still goes blank. I even checked /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and added nvda_drv=1 to Kernel Flags (it was missing).

On further testing, I can boot the system in safe mode with "-x nv_disable=1" and successfully log in. But if I boot the system with just "nv_disable=1" (not safe mode), I get the login screen but then it hangs on login.

-Sean

Last edited:

Yeah, that's what I figured. Sadly, that didn't work. Manually specifying "nvda_drv=1" as a boot parameter seemed to have no effect; the screen still goes blank. I even checked /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and added nvda_drv=1 to Kernel Flags (it was missing).

On further testing, I can boot the system in safe mode with "-x nv_disable=1" and successfully log in. But if I boot the system with just "nv_disable=1" (not safe mode), I get the login screen but then it hangs on login.

-Sean

Ahh, I just notice you are using a MacPro6,1 system definition. That is the problem, either use something besides MacPro6,1 or iMac15,1 or follow these steps to fix it: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/161439-gtx-970-black-screen-after-nvidia-346-01-02f01-2.html

Ahh, I just notice you are using a MacPro6,1 system definition. That is the problem, either use something besides MacPro6,1 or iMac15,1 or follow these steps to fix it: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/161439-gtx-970-black-screen-after-nvidia-346-01-02f01-2.html
We've seen too many problems with the iMac15,1 and MacPro6,1 SysDefs. Update your nVidia drivers with the safe MacPro3,1 then change to iMac14,2 (toleda recommends). Works for me.

We've seen too many problems with the iMac15,1 and MacPro6,1 SysDefs. Update your nVidia drivers with the safe MacPro3,1 then change to iMac14,2 (toleda recommends). Works for me.

I personally use 14,2 as well.

I personally use 14,2 as well.

Boom! That was perfect. Exactly the problem. I should know better than to change more than one setting at a time. *sigh*

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back