Contribute
Register

[Solved] No boot device option when trying to do a clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's interesting. I gave up yesterday and installed Sierra. Then I went to the App Store to get the installer for High Sierra, and it downloaded the full installer rather than the 19MB pseudo installer I was getting when I was using El Capitan. I'll try using Unibeast this afternoon to make a USB installer from the App Store full-sized installer, and report back.

I look forward to reading your results!

I made the new High Sierra USB installer with Unibeast today and it showed up in Clover! And yes, it installed 10.13.2. Install went fine (well, except for the fact that I left all of my drives plugged in and every time it restarted I was out of the room so it booted into El Capitan. Then I had to restart and had to keep choosing something like "Boot from macOS on Install macOS" on an internal drive, and eventually that changed to "Boot from macOS on High Sierra" once the install completed). Now I'm having trouble getting High Sierra to boot from Clover on the EFI partition on the High Sierra internal drive. I suspect I'm missing a kext or something in the EFI partition. I assumed after running Multibeast I'd be able to boot without booting Clover from the USB, but that hasn't worked yet. That's a separate issue however.

For me at least, I can confirm that the Unibeast created USB installer using the full-sized Install High Sierra app downloaded through the App Store does work. So my previous assumptions were wrong apparently. The issue does not lie with Unibeast or Clover, but with using dosdude1's patcher utility to download the installer. I would suggest first installing Sierra, and then seeing if you can get the full installer from the App Store in Sierra. I never could get the full installer in El Capitan.

Last edited:
I can also report success, I got a hold of a younger Mac (HS was installed regularly, no need for the patch tool), created a new USB and it showed up on Clover.
However, I'm having a similar issue as WolfpactVI re boot drives....

For me, for some reason Multibeast did not put the FakeSMC and USBInjectAll kexts into the /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder on the new EFI partition the first time around. I forget if I manually copied them or just ran Multibeast again and confirmed they were there after. But all is good now.

I had same issue (No boot device in clover), I got my HS with dosdude1 tool as AppStore was giving only 19MB version. Anyway I did checksum on that dosdude downloaded HS.. and it didn't match with official Apple version checksum. So no sure thats the story there.. but I would avoid that version.

I got hold of good HS version (that does mach checksum) and it worked fine.

I am still having this issue. Could it be that the latest version is 13.2.01 instead of 13.2? And also the reason why the checksum does not match.

Arbuzas what is the exact version of the HS installer you end up getting?

Hello all,

Any help is greatly appreciated. I was so looking forward to using the new OS. And I'm completely at a loss as to where to start to fix this. Read as many of the other threads as I could find with people having the same problem as me, but didnt come across anything that seemed to be a definitive solution. I did read that some people got it to work by installing 10.13.1 first and then updating, but I have no idea how to access the earlier version of the installer.

See the UniBeast 8.2 bug that I posted here.https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...over-missing-iabootfiles.248994/#post-1718315

Hello all,

Long time lurker, infrequent poster. Finally got my act together to upgrade to High Sierra from El Capitan. Bought a new drive to do a clean install. You can add me to the list of people who get no boot device option after the Clover boot. Boots just fine into Clover, but then there is no option for the "Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra". If I have my other drives plugged in, all of the Windows partitions on the Windows drive show up, the El Capitan partitions shows up on the Mac drive, but the install partition on the USB drive is no where to be found. When I unplug everything, Clover still boots just fine, but there is just no drive listed at all from which to boot.

I had to use the dosdude1's High Sierra patcher in order to download the High Sierra full installer, since the App Store was just giving me the 19MB pseudo installer. Followed all of the steps on the installation page here. Fairly certain my BIOS settings are correct. Havent changed anything since the El Capitan install, and everything mentioned on the install page was correct. Unibeast had no trouble creating the USB installer. I chose UEFI, the 5.2GB High Sierra in the Applications folder, the erased 32GB USB drive, and no graphics options because I'm just using the integrated graphics. Everything went swimmingly until Clover booted up.

Nothing is plugged into the computer except the keyboard, mouse, monitor via DVI, USB stick & unformatted new Crucial SSD. Tried erasing the USB drive and re-downloading the High Sierra installer and using Unibeast again, with the same result.

My setup is:
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H (BIOS version is F7, the latest)
i7-4770K
Crucial 16GB DDR3 1600 (2x8GB)
Currently running El Capitan on a Crucial SSD so I can at least use the computer (and post my question on this excellent site!)

I wasnt sure which BIOS screens to take pics of, so I took pics of everything (and some needed two pics to get everything). If there's anything else you need pics of, or uploaded, let me know (but pics will have to wait until after work tomorrow at this point).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I was so looking forward to using the new OS. And I'm completely at a loss as to where to start to fix this. Read as many of the other threads as I could find with people having the same problem as me, but didnt come across anything that seemed to be a definitive solution. I did read that some people got it to work by installing 10.13.1 first and then updating, but I have no idea how to access the earlier version of the installer.

TRY . using unibeast 8.3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back