Contribute
Register

[Solved] New user hackintosh attempt (Please be gentle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX970 Palit
Hello Guys,

First of all, here are the specs of my system, unfortunately when I built the system, I didn't have a hackintosh in mind, but it's nothing special so didn't think I would have many problems.

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3 (Updated to the latest version, F22)
HDD: Samsung SSD 750 EVO 500GB
Data HDD: 1TB
Memory: Avexir 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300C17 2666MHz Quad Channel
GFX: Nvidia GTX970 Palit

Been trying for 2 days now to get this working, and the most annoying thing is it WAS working for a little while, had the GFX card working fine, and set everything up to match my dev machine at work, all I had to do on boot was un-tick inject nvidia, and remove the nv_disable=1 flag.

But obviously this wasn't ideal so looked at how to change the flags so it just booted right away, did so and then it stopped working.... (loading screen got about half way then get a black screen and no signal from the monitor :cry:)

So I have decided to start again from scratch and list what I have done so hopefully someone can tell me where I am being stupid....

Pre-Install
First I used a Linux live USB to wipe the HDD (As for some reason I have about 22 UEFI boot options to choose from...)

• BIOS: Everything got set to default, and then the following changes made
    Secure Boot: off
    VT-d: off
    OS Type: Other OS
    IO SerialPort: off
    XHCI Handoff: on

• USB: Installed Sierra with Unibeast - UEFI Boot mode, Sierra.
Install

Booted from USB, wiped the drive as OS X Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Map and clicked install.

After installed and rebooted, booted from the SSD and followed the setup and signed in with apple ID and setup my account.

Post-install

So i'm now on OSX sierra..

Dock is not transparent and 2nd screen not working, so check about this mac

MacOS Sierra
Version 10.12.5 (16F73)
iMac (27-Inch, Late 2013)
Graphics Display 7 MB

So as per https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/ I downloaded the driver for my version, turns out its the top link (16F73).

Install and restart (Still booting from USB and then selecting the HDD, now removing the nv_disabled=1 flag (Just leaving dart=0) and ticking NVIDIA WEB drivers in Graphics Injector) As I have still not ran MultiBeast at this point...

OSX loads up but login screen has grey background and have some screen flickering. Log in and check about this mac again

Still showing Display 7MB

So open NVIDIA Driver Manager and see that OSX Default driver is ticked, so change that to NVIDIA Web Driver and reboot in the same way again... (Removing nv_disable=1, but this time webdrivers is already ticked)

OSX loads up (again) with a grey background, check NVIDIA and its back to OSX Driver......

So I decided to use Multibeast now, in hopes it will change it from defaulting to OSX

UEFI Boot Mode
Bootloaders: Clover 2.4 UEFI Boot Mode
Customize: NVIDIA Web Drivers Boot Flag

And then build/install, as by the looks of things everything else is working OK

Once complete, reboot (again) this time booting from the HDD (New UEFI option) and check the boot flags, just dart=0 so no need to remove the nv flag, and Graphics Injector still has Web drivers ticked, so no need to change anything this time.

Boot into OSX again and yep... Grey screen (AGHRRR) OSX Driver again (I assume this is the issue) so I change it back to web again and reboot. And yep grey login background and back to the OSX driver.

PLEASE, does anyone know where I am being stupid?

Cheers,
Neodite (Sorry for the long post, just didn't want to miss anything out).

EDIT: I have also tried booting with nvda_drv=1 and even injecting nvidia and still the same result.

EDIT2: After looking at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/ again, I tried the Clover V2 option, but not when booting the loading bar goes half way then black screen :(

Last edited:
7mb RAM normally means that the drivers are not loading for one reason or another. As you have a Gigabyte 100 series board native nvram is not working, see problems 6:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/#Problem6

You also need to be using iMac 14,2 for this to work properly. There are issues around using iMac 15, and some of the Mac pro system definitions that lead to a black screen. Boot with -v ( press the spacebar at the Clover boot screen. Take a clear photograph of were the text stalls and post it using the 'upload a file' feature.

Cheers for the reply.

So just did a fresh install (Been playing while waiting on a reply).

Using iMac 14,2
Followed the steps in problem 6

Unfortunately still the exact same issue :(

Booted in verbose mode and get the attached.... (Harder than I thought, that black screen comes quick haha!)

verbose.png

Straight after that screen, I get the black screen (No signal on monitor)

Any other ideas? :( Cheers.

Tried both ways. Both the same issue.

Also just attempted removing the Nvidia card and just trying with the HD530 iGPU with inject intel.

That works the same as if I have nv_disabled with the nvidia card installed. Makes me think it's maybe not a GFX issue?

Ok, well I don't know WTF just happend, but I put back the nvidia card, and booted up the PC, and it booted into Sierra fine with the GFX card working!!!!

I'm now scared to reboot haha!

Ok I rebooted, and it worked again. I'm so damn confused.....

Ok so next question. How do I clone this whole damn thing to a bootable USB so if anything goes wrong again I can just plug in the USB and re-install?

Ok so next question. How do I clone this whole damn thing to a bootable USB so if anything goes wrong again I can just plug in the USB and re-install?
Use carbon copy cloner to do the main os/data, then use clover configurator to mount the boot drive and USB drive EFI partitions, and copy the boot drive EFI folder and paste it to the USB EFI folder (overwrite/replace).

FWIW I had the same problem with the OS reverting to the default Nvidia driver, and I believe I fixed it by editing sone permissions, but I don't remember exactly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back