Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone. I recently completed my new build but I can't export h.264 video in Final Cut Pro 10.4 with the igpu disabled. I know enabling the igpu and quicksync can help with that (I had quicksync working on my old z97 build) but no matter what I try I can't seem to get it working on this new build with the HD 630.

Here is a rundown of my system/setup:
MacOS: 10.13.4
Gigabyte z370n-wifi
i8700k
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 Special Edition
SMBIOS: 18,3
BIOS -> Primary Graphics: PCIE Slot
BIOS -> Integrated Graphics: Enabled
BIOS -> CSM: Enabled

I tried following this guide to enable Quicksync:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-nvidia-primary-display-with-airplay-mirroring.118662/

If I do everything the guide says, I get a boot time that takes like 5 minutes or more (seems like the system doesn't know which graphics card to use). It flashes several times and then finally finishes booting. MacX Video Converter then says that Quicksync is not enabled. If I export h.264 video in fcpx it'll work but not at quicksync speeds so it doesn't seem like its working properly (and the massive boot time is a deal breaker).

If I don't have the igpu enabled, and no headless igpu settings, then MacX Video Converter says that Quicksync IS enabled but I can't export h.264 in FCPX (very weird behavior).

I've tried both options from the guide above, with ig-platform-id = 0x59120003, with/without GFX0 to IGPU, with/without Lilu + whatevergreen, I've tried with RadeonDeInt enabled and disabled, tried with/without Inject Intel and/or Inject ATI and I've tried every combination I could think of with all these settings on or off.

I was previously on SMBIOS 14,2 because I was getting black screen after boot because I use Dual Monitors with DP cables. Adding the latest Whatevergreen from a few days ago fixed that issue so I changed back to 18,3.

Anyway, any help with this is greatly appreciated. I have to be able to export to h.264 because of all the video editing that I do.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I recently completed my new build but I can't export h.264 video in Final Cut Pro 10.4 with the igpu disabled. I know enabling the igpu and quicksync can help with that (I had quicksync working on my old z97 build) but no matter what I try I can't seem to get it working on this new build with the HD 630.

Here is a rundown of my system/setup:
MacOS: 10.13.4
Gigabyte z370n-wifi
i8700k
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 Special Edition
SMBIOS: 18,3
BIOS -> Primary Graphics: PCIE Slot
BIOS -> Integrated Graphics: Enabled
BIOS -> CSM: Enabled

I tried following this guide to enable Quicksync:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-nvidia-primary-display-with-airplay-mirroring.118662/

If I do everything the guide says, I get a boot time that takes like 5 minutes or more (seems like the system doesn't know which graphics card to use). It flashes several times and then finally finishes booting. MacX Video Converter then says that Quicksync is not enabled. If I export h.264 video in fcpx it'll work but not at quicksync speeds so it doesn't seem like its working properly (and the massive boot time is a deal breaker).

If I don't have the igpu enabled, and no headless igpu settings, then MacX Video Converter says that Quicksync IS enabled but I can't export h.264 in FCPX (very weird behavior).

I've tried both options from the guide above, with ig-platform-id = 0x59120003, with/without GFX0 to IGPU, with/without Lilu + whatevergreen, I've tried with RadeonDeInt enabled and disabled, tried with/without Inject Intel and/or Inject ATI and I've tried every combination I could think of with all these settings on or off.

I was previously on SMBIOS 14,2 because I was getting black screen after boot because I use Dual Monitors with DP cables. Adding the latest Whatevergreen from a few days ago fixed that issue so I changed back to 18,3.

Anyway, any help with this is greatly appreciated. I have to be able to export to h.264 because of all the video editing that I do.

CSM should be disabled, PCIe as primary and IGPU enabled in the BIOS.
ig-platform-id = 0x59120003 is correct.

What happens when you Share the video in FCPX as H.264 ?
Post your config.plist & IOREG files (using IORegistryExplorer.App r2.1).

CSM should be disabled, PCIe as primary and IGPU enabled in the BIOS.
ig-platform-id = 0x59120003 is correct.

What happens when you Share the video in FCPX as H.264 ?
Post your config.plist & IOREG files (using IORegistryExplorer.App r2.1).

Thanks. I had to disable CSM in BIOS and also click on "-disablegfxfirmware" in the Boot -> Arguments section of Clover Configurator in order to finally get quicksync enabled. So far so good.

Still using latest Lilu and Whatevergreen in order to get dual monitor with dp cable to work after boot and also to get audio working.

Hope this little bit of info helps someone else out there.

Thanks. I had to disable CSM in BIOS and also click on "-disablegfxfirmware" in the Boot -> Arguments section of Clover Configurator in order to finally get quicksync enabled. So far so good.

Still using latest Lilu and Whatevergreen in order to get dual monitor with dp cable to work after boot and also to get audio working.

Hope this little bit of info helps someone else out there.

Hi Khris.

Good that you got it working. Could you do a few test for me? Would be awesome.

- What is your Bruce X export to ProRes422 & H.264 ? Should be below 20 secs on both.

- If you install "Intel Power Gadget", you should have a green line indicating the iGPU is "on", but does it move when watching a Youtube video?

- Last but not least, can you try and run a geekbench score (just Metal Score for your GPU), with nothing running, and then with a youtube video running. To see if there is any major difference in GPU degredation.

I am running on iMac Pro 1,1 (z370 8700k / Vega 64) - and with or without iGPU my GPU score goes down considerably when running H.264 content (perhaps 50-60% less performance).

My Bruce X score is 11-12 secs ProRes422, H.264 is about 15 secs. Geekbench Metal is 205.000, and drops to 155.000 with any H.264 content running (It could be a .mov in Quicktime on pause or just working in FCP X with H.264 files... bugs the hell out of me). It also believe it makes my card unstable - since I had a few crashes in FCP X.

Unkle

Hi Khris.

Good that you got it working. Could you do a few test for me? Would be awesome.

- What is your Bruce X export to ProRes422 & H.264 ? Should be below 20 secs on both.

- If you install "Intel Power Gadget", you should have a green line indicating the iGPU is "on", but does it move when watching a Youtube video?

- Last but not least, can you try and run a geekbench score (just Metal Score for your GPU), with nothing running, and then with a youtube video running. To see if there is any major difference in GPU degredation.

I am running on iMac Pro 1,1 (z370 8700k / Vega 64) - and with or without iGPU my GPU score goes down considerably when running H.264 content (perhaps 50-60% less performance).

My Bruce X score is 11-12 secs ProRes422, H.264 is about 15 secs. Geekbench Metal is 205.000, and drops to 155.000 with any H.264 content running (It could be a .mov in Quicktime on pause or just working in FCP X with H.264 files... bugs the hell out of me). It also believe it makes my card unstable - since I had a few crashes in FCP X.

Unkle

Ok, I installed Intel Power Gadget app but the only green line I see is in the "Frequency" section and it only slightly moves up to like 0.10 - 0.23ghz. Is that what you are talking about or should I be looking somewhere else?

BruceX ProRes 422 = 15 seconds
BruceX H.264 = 18 - 19 seconds (ran it 3 times)
BruceX export while watching youtube or h.264 video = No decline in export times at all

Geekbench 4 - I don't have the paid version so I can only test Compute with OpenCL
Geekbench 4 Compute OpenCL (nothing playing in background) = 139820
Geekbench 4 Compute OpenCL (Youtube playing in background) = 142698
Geekbench 4 Compute OpenCL (Quicktime h.264 video playing in background) = 146478
Scores actually went up when watching video. Interesting

I haven't used FCPX besides just running export tests to see if quicksync is working, so I can't give you any real insight into whether it's stable or not. I'm trying to get my system running nicely first before I start using it extensively. Hope some of this info helps.

I'm using FCPX 10.4, no plugins installed yet. Just fresh install.

@khriswithak Thanks very very much for your time taken to do this.

It would seem Quicksync doesn't do much to help you improve your FCP X render score/time, but if it helps on stability, that's great.

Interesting indeed that your Geekbench score shoots up a bit. That's a first :)

I'm sure some out there can start compare score / times in Bruce X too see if they are in the ballpark with the same hardware/setup.

Thanks again.

Quicksync has never helped with my BruceX time (on my previous system either), but it makes a huge difference on export times for my regular projects (the longer the project, the more time is saves).

Right now, quicksync has cut my h.264 export time in half on a 3 minute video project I've been using for testing purposes.

a.jpg
b.jpg
Hello guys ..
i have the same prob with vega 64 and Intel 630 on mojave.
i have inject both,i have hardware acceleration but verry slow export on h.264
When use iMac pro smbios im stable but slow.
When use 18.3 smibios goes black screen and restart on export.
Any ideas ?

View attachment 354043 View attachment 354044 Hello guys ..
i have the same prob with vega 64 and Intel 630 on mojave.
i have inject both,i have hardware acceleration but verry slow export on h.264
When use iMac pro smbios im stable but slow.
When use 18.3 smibios goes black screen and restart on export.
Any ideas ?
I was having this same issue as of High Sierra 10.13.6. It has been a frustrating journey with few definitive answers out there. And the same problem persisted in testing with Mojave. What I did I felt was 'non-standard', whatever that means in Hackintoshing, but what I have works and is stable so I offer it to you here. This is the ONLY way I've managed to make it work on the system in my ID. I'm also using 18,3 SIMBIOS.

Unless there is another method the iGPU has to be the boot graphics.
I have whatevergreen, IntelGraphicsFixup, Lilu, Shiki kexts in my other folder (along with the other usual kexts)
I have inject Intel and RadeonDeinit checked in Clover config
I have added shikigva=1 (4 for AMD, 12 for Nvidia) as a custom flag in clover config

I downloaded VideoProc.app from digiartysoftware.com. Used the demo version and clicked on settings. It will show you if QuickSync is enabled.

The Intel Power Gadget shows the green line showing that QS in enabled. Final Cut is not blazing but shows a frequency of 1.0 when conforming 4kvideo down to 1080p. So I know it's working. At least 50% speed improvement. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back