Intel I7 4790K
Graphics
Builtin Intel HD4600
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I've just installed my first hackintosh and I've found a strange issue which I need some help with. I have an 6TB external RAID which connects via USB 3.0. This worked just fine - once. After a reboot I'm unable to mount the drive via USB 3.0 ever again. I can mount and unmount it via USB 2.0 without issues.

Any ideas? I've gone over RehabMan's guide to USB 3.0 but I'm not sure if it applies since I had it working once.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Edit: Just tried with a USB stick and it doesn't work in any USB 3.0 ports. It works in USB 2.0 ports just fine.

Attachments

• IOreg output 27-1-2018.ioreg
    17.2 MB · Views: 301
  • config.plist
    5.7 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Hi all,

I've just installed my first hackintosh and I've found a strange issue which I need some help with. I have an 6TB external RAID which connects via USB 3.0. This worked just fine - once. After a reboot I'm unable to mount the drive via USB 3.0 ever again. I can mount and unmount it via USB 2.0 without issues.

Any ideas? I've gone over RehabMan's guide to USB 3.0 but I'm not sure if it applies since I had it working once.

Edit: Just tried with a USB stick and it doesn't work in any USB 3.0 ports. It works in USB 2.0 ports just fine.

I downloaded the newest version of Multibeast for Mojave and selected the options in the screenshot. After a reboot the USB 3.0 ports are working again but only at USB 2.0 speeds. Any advise is greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2018-11-30 kl. 15.50.36.png
    Skærmbillede 2018-11-30 kl. 15.50.36.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 902
As well as @RehabMan 's excellent guide, it might help to see the problem "visually".

Run the utility IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to the XHCI section. You will more than likely only see ports with the HS## tags. Maybe an extra USR one as well. Once you have created a bespoke SSDT as per the guide ( @ammulder wrote a more compact version too in his/her Skylake guide ) you will notice the IORegistryExplorer now shows the HS## ports above a smaller set of SS## ports. These latter are the now revealed USB 3.0 port definitions. :thumbup:

In previous macOS versions IORegistryExplorer showed all possible ports of all varieties even before the SSDT had been created. I'm not sure what changed or where but there we go...

:)

As well as @RehabMan 's excellent guide, it might help to see the problem "visually".

Run the utility IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to the XHCI section. You will more than likely only see ports with the HS## tags. Maybe an extra USR one as well. Once you have created a bespoke SSDT as per the guide ( @ammulder wrote a more compact version too in his/her Skylake guide ) you will notice the IORegistryExplorer now shows the HS## ports above a smaller set of SS## ports. These latter are the now revealed USB 3.0 port definitions. :thumbup:

In previous macOS versions IORegistryExplorer showed all possible ports of all varieties even before the SSDT had been created. I'm not sure what changed or where but there we go...

:)

Thanks a lot for the above explanation! I will be looking into that as well :)

Hi @UtterDisbelief @ammulder
I hope you don't mind I tagged you both. I tried to follow the Skylake guide regarding the USB 3.0 port configuration here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide.179221/#DetailedUSB

However I don't see any wedges or connected device under the different ports (HS** and SS**). From the screenshot in the guide which shows these ports and connected devices I don't see the "FakePCIID_XHCIMux" as I do on my system. I do see my connected devices under "EH02@1A". This might be the issue but I'm not sure. I'm attaching my configuration if you don't mind taking a look.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2018-12-01 kl. 14.18.16.png
    Skærmbillede 2018-12-01 kl. 14.18.16.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 387
  • Skærmbillede 2018-12-01 kl. 14.26.04.png
    Skærmbillede 2018-12-01 kl. 14.26.04.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 398
  • Skærmbillede 2018-12-01 kl. 14.27.48.png
    Skærmbillede 2018-12-01 kl. 14.27.48.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 369
  • IOreg 1-12-2018.ioreg
    13.7 MB · Views: 252
  • config.plist
    6.7 KB · Views: 228
Hi.

When you plug something in, the wedges appear - usually.

Have you created an SSDT template? If so post it here, it's just text at this point :thumbup:

I'll check in more depth when I get back to my desktop :)

I'm not familiar with FakePCIID_XHCIMux except insofar as it's a kext and I wouldn't use it unless you're sure you need to. It wasn't in your kext list screen shot, so perhaps it was injected by clover?

From your first screen shot showing HS01 to SS01, it looks like you don't have all your USB ports enabled. (Unless you cut off the bottom of the screen shot). That looks like you hit the 15-port limit, and it activated 14 USB2 ports and only 1 USB3 port. Therefore I'd expect any USB3 device you plug in are unlikely to work. And I think XHCIMux does something with USB2 devices, which may be why they're showing up elsewhere.

So... I would remove the XHCIMux kext and/or the FakePCI kext and apply the correct remove-15-port-limit patch (there are different ones for different OS releases and sometimes patch levels, so look up and use the correct one for your OS). In the first screen shot you should see 20+ entries between HS## and SS##, and your keyboard and mouse should be listed. Then you should be good to start the port mapping.

@UtterDisbelief @ammulder

Thanks a lot for your tips guys. Really appreciated :thumbup:

I'm making progress. I managed to remove the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext from the EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder. That has led to a slow boot until it gets past clover. Probably because I haven't "uninstalled" the driver correctly other than moving the kext to the desktop.

The good news is that I now have a similar configuration as in the Skylake guide. Regarding the number of ports I tried running Multibeast 11 and selected to remove the USB port limit. That didn't bring any additional ports in IOreg. According to the motherboard manual I should have a total of 14 ports (6 x USB 3.0/2.0 and 8 x USB 2.0/1.1). Why IOreg is showing a total of 15 I don't know. However IOreg now registers an USB 3.0 device on the HS** ports but it's still running at USB 2.0 speeds but at least now I can carry on with the port discovery.

Thanks a lot :)

Attachments

• IOreg 1-12-2018 16.46.ioreg
    13.7 MB · Views: 240
  • config.plist
    7.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Skærmbillede 2018-12-01 kl. 16.34.25.png
    Skærmbillede 2018-12-01 kl. 16.34.25.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 354
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back