Contribute
Register

[Solved] Mojave on Z390-P and i7-9700k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto reboot does not work, but that doesn’t mean you can’t reboot the machine yourself.

Correct, although it is a little annoying and not exactly good practice.

A possible fix is to reinstall Clover (from Sourceforge.net) with emulated NVRAM on the internal (boot) drive:
For emulated NVRAM select:
- Clover for UEFI booting, Install Clover in the ESP, Theme
- UEFI Drivers (defaults plus ApfsDriverLoader-64, EmuVariableUefi-64, OsxAptioFix3Drv-64 and uncheck AptioMemoryFix-64)
- Install RC scripts on target volume

Before reinstalling Clover, make a copy of config.plist and any kext files in kexts/Other in the EFI partition on your existing internal drive. After reinstalling Clover transfer any kext files to kexts/Other. (You will need to download EFI Mounter V.3 from tonymacx86 Downloads | Community Software to mount the EFI partition on the internal drive in order to copy/paste files in Finder).

@Jakeofspades how (if at all) did you get sleep to work? Did you patch Intel FB at all?
I've got everything working except of sleep in 10.14.1 as far as i can check (no USB 3.1 frontpanel to test that connector).

@Jakeofspades how (if at all) did you get sleep to work? Did you patch Intel FB at all?
I've got everything working except of sleep in 10.14.1 as far as i can check (no USB 3.1 frontpanel to test that connector).

Hi Tyr,
We have the same setup except the gpu. Do you mind to share your settings in bios and clover/multibeast?

Not at all. I didn‘t use either unibeast or multibeast though but created a bootstick manually with the latest versions of Clover, FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet as well as the debug versions of AppleALC, whatevergreen and lilu to be flexible to use Intel FB patcher in Mojave. Also as the board does not seem to have writeable NVRAM I did install that driver. I‘m currently away from home but I can update regarding BIOS settings when I get back (probably late tomorrow or the day after).
Couldn‘t get the system to shutdown (stuck at black screen) with SMBIOS 18.1 which I thought would be preferable without PEG GPU, iMac 18.3 did the trick and works even without the graphics glitches noticed on earlier platforms when using only iGPU.
System will get a RX 580 sometimes later but I need the card at the moment in another project.
I also created a kext for USB Port assignment internal/external in FB-Patcher. All the USB ports tested good (except. USB 3.1 Type C frontpanel header which I could not test because I don‘t have such a panel or a breakout with that onboard connector)
Sleep is AFAIK the last remaining issue to fix.
I did test VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC with less desireable results, speedstepping does not work well and the idle CPU only clocks down to x13 with VirtualSMC while it reaches x8 with FakeSMC. I also got the impression that clockspeed changes above the minimum multiplier happen more granular and more frequently with FakeSMC but as I do not have a means to record that data I might be wrong on that front. I used Intel Power Gadget as well as iStat Menus - maybe that is a flawed approach - cannot really tell. Maybe someone can shed a light on a correct test method that gives us hard evidence?

EDIT: There seems to be an issue with HDMI support. It did work in initial test but now does not. Something I did in the process seems to have broken it. Not an issue for me as I use DP anyways.

Last edited:
Not at all. I didn‘t use either unibeast or multibeast though but created a bootstick manually with the latest versions of Clover, FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet as well as the debug versions of AppleALC, whatevergreen and lilu to be flexible to use Intel FB patcher in Mojave. Also as the board does not seem to have writeable NVRAM I did install that driver. I‘m currently away from home but I can update regarding BIOS settings when I get back (probably late tomorrow or the day after).
Couldn‘t get the system to shutdown (stuck at black screen) with SMBIOS 18.1 which I thought would be preferable without PEG GPU, iMac 18.3 did the trick and works even without the graphics glitches noticed on earlier platforms when using only iGPU.
System will get a RX 580 sometimes later but I need the card at the moment in another project.
I also created a kext for USB Port assignment internal/external in FB-Patcher. All the USB ports tested good (except. USB 3.1 Type C frontpanel header which I could not test because I don‘t have such a panel or a breakout with that onboard connector)
Sleep is AFAIK the last remaining issue to fix.
I did test VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC with less desireable results, speedstepping does not work well and the idle CPU only clocks down to x13 with VirtualSMC while it reaches x8 with FakeSMC. I also got the impression that clockspeed changes above the minimum multiplier happen more granular and more frequently with FakeSMC but as I do not have a means to record that data I might be wrong on that front. I used Intel Power Gadget as well as iStat Menus - maybe that is a flawed approach - cannot really tell. Maybe someone can shed a light on a correct test method that gives us hard evidence?

EDIT: There seems to be an issue with HDMI support. It did work in initial test but now does not. Something I did in the process seems to have broken it. Not an issue for me as I use DP anyways.

Wow thanks Tyr I really appreciate the help you provided! :)
I will try what you suggested since our systems are identical and provide feedback. I didn't understand when you say "Also as the board does not seem to have writeable NVRAM I did install that driver" what driver did you install?
With Unibeast/Multibeast method cpu clocks down to x10. Hwmonitor shows low temperatures which dont go above 29C at idle. As AIO Im using Kraken x62 and it seems to be doing very well at this point. Also Im using only DP ports for connection with my 2 Dell monitors. The most serious problem Im facing is random freezes occasionally... that's why I asked for bios settings in case I need a few settings to change extra. Also bios is up to date (0604).

Correct, although it is a little annoying and not exactly good practice.

A possible fix is to reinstall Clover (from Sourceforge.net) with emulated NVRAM on the internal (boot) drive:
For emulated NVRAM select:
- Clover for UEFI booting, Install Clover in the ESP, Theme
- UEFI Drivers (defaults plus ApfsDriverLoader-64, EmuVariableUefi-64, OsxAptioFix3Drv-64 and uncheck AptioMemoryFix-64)
- Install RC scripts on target volume

Before reinstalling Clover, make a copy of config.plist and any kext files in kexts/Other in the EFI partition on your existing internal drive. After reinstalling Clover transfer any kext files to kexts/Other. (You will need to download EFI Mounter V.3 from tonymacx86 Downloads | Community Software to mount the EFI partition on the internal drive in order to copy/paste files in Finder).
Thank you for the suggestion. I did try it, but on my particular motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 Designare) I believe NVRAM is present.

From the EFI Shell, I used the bcfg command as follows:

bcfg boot dump -v
bcfg driver dump -v

The EFI help screen states that "bcfg" displays and modifies NVRAM. Because I am not using EmuVariable, the fact that there was something in the "bcfg boot dump" output suggests that I have NVRAM.

However, switching to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64 (and removing all other AptioFixes) led to immediate "Couldn't Allocate Memory" errors on boot. So I switched back to the previous configuration.

My priority right now is to get Intel UHD630 graphics working, then build custom SSDT for my USB ports, and troubleshoot the ALC1220-VB audio. After that, I want to see if I can get the onboard Titan Ridge Thunderbolt working. Such fun!

Wow thanks Tyr I really appreciate the help you provided! :)
I will try what you suggested since our systems are identical and provide feedback. I didn't understand when you say "Also as the board does not seem to have writeable NVRAM I did install that driver" what driver did you install?
that's why I asked for bios settings in case I need a few settings to change extra. Also bios is up to date (0604).

1. emuvariable

2. Don‘t think i am on 604 already, I‘m not home yet so can‘t check.

1. emuvariable

2. Don‘t think i am on 604 already, I‘m not home yet so can‘t check.

Update: I didn't have disable Secure Boot mode. I don't know if it was the reason of my freezes. So far so good.
Preview and quickview doesn't work also with jpgs but it works with other type of files. This is ofc a common problem.

Where did you get 604? I‘m on 602 and that is the latest I can find on the ASUS servers. Did 604 get pulled?

I installed an MSI RX 580 Armor 8g OC today and that one gave me a very hard time...
Bios would not let me enable PEG slot (one could change it but after reboot iGPU was primary again).
It started to work only after I enabled iGPU Multi Monitor and set iGPU Memory to 96MB (either that is a BIOS bug or the feature works differently than ASUS documents it). All told I‘m not impressed with this ASUS board and the current state of the BIOS.
VCore adjustements for OC stability do not seem to stick and reset every now and then - I have not yet found a pattern when it reverts (before anyone asks I am not using their AI feature).

Then Boottimes went down to a crawl. Windows took over 18 minutes to boot, Mojave took over 25 minutes!!
That one was fixed by disabling CSM (which worked fine with iGPU only).

PS: @skroutz999 I have not forgotten your BIOS settings, ATM I‘m testing stability and will follow up later regarding those.

Last edited:
Where did you get 604? I‘m on 602 and that is the latest I can find on the ASUS servers. Did 604 get pulled?

I installed an MSI RX 580 Armor 8g OC today and that one gave me a very hard time...
Bios would not let me enable PEG slot (one could change it but after reboot iGPU was primary again).
It started to work only after I enabled iGPU Multi Monitor and set iGPU Memory to 96MB (either that is a BIOS bug or the feature works differently than ASUS documents it). All told I‘m not impressed with this ASUS board and the current state of the BIOS.
VCore adjustements for OC stability do not seem to stick and reset every now and then - I have not yet found a pattern when it reverts (before anyone asks I am not using their AI feature).

Then Boottimes went down to a crawl. Windows took over 18 minutes to boot, Mojave took over 25 minutes!!
That one was fixed by disabling CSM (which worked fine with iGPU only).

PS: @skroutz999 I have not forgotten your BIOS settings, ATM I‘m testing stability and will follow up later regarding those.

I was using always Asus motherboards (maximus vi formula, z97-p) and never had stability issues so far. You are right the bios version is indeed 0602. Strange it is... maybe you experience compatibility issue between gpu and mobo.In my case I have disabled igpu and have conneted dual monitors via dp with my rx580 (Sapphire Nitro+). CSM is working for me w/o issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back