Contribute
Register

[Solved] Mojave graphics problem when PCIe RAID card is plugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds very reminiscent of years ago when I had an Apricorn Velocity Solo X1 my old MacPro3,1 (discussed here). Booting with it installed was always weird...

Aren't you currently using a Vega 64? Personally, I think that the issue is more with the RAID card than with the video card.
Actually now it’s booting up with storage option disabled. It just takes a while till clover kicks in. I have a vega56 but do you think it makes sense to go for a vega64? I can use the power anyway for video editing. The Highpoint 2720 is still sold but the latest firmware is from 2012 lol. But it’s a very stable and fast card. In raid 5 i get 450mbs in raid 0 i get 750mbs with 4 4tb hdd 3,5.

Actually now it’s booting up with storage option disabled. It just takes a while till clover kicks in. I have a vega56 but do you think it makes sense to go for a vega64? I can use the power anyway for video editing. The Highpoint 2720 is still sold but the latest firmware is from 2012 lol. But it’s a very stable and fast card. In raid 5 i get 450mbs in raid 0 i get 750mbs with 4 4tb hdd 3,5.

In my opinion, performance-wise, there's very little difference between Vega 56 and 64. I went with Vega 56 and never had any desires to upgrade to Vega 64. I did, however, switch from a Vega 56 with a reference style cooler to one with three fans and an "open" style cooler and had Samsung HBM. The improved cooling and better HBM memory gave me pretty significant improvement in performance because it never throttles and I can run the HBM at much higher MHz.

In my opinion, performance-wise, there's very little difference between Vega 56 and 64. I went with Vega 56 and never had any desires to upgrade to Vega 64. I did, however, switch from a Vega 56 with a reference style cooler to one with three fans and an "open" style cooler and had Samsung HBM. The improved cooling and better HBM memory gave me pretty significant improvement in performance because it never throttles and I can run the HBM at much higher MHz.
Do you have experience with putting a Vega 64 bios on the 56? I also think about upgrading to a i9 9900k but don’t know if it makes big difference for premiere pro and Davinci resolve.

Do you have experience with putting a Vega 64 bios on the 56? I also think about upgrading to a i9 9900k but don’t know if it makes big difference for premiere pro and Davinci resolve.

I'm currently running Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 BIOS on my PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56.

Sorry, I don't know how much difference an i9-9900K will help with those apps. I don't use either...

ok now I did a BIOS update and the "above 4G" option was showing up. I enabled it but no changes. tried it on and off. Strange thing is I have another PCIe card which is not a problem. A Blackmagic Decklink card. Any other suggestions? I guess will have to go back to High Sierra otherwise.

Did you try removing the Decklink PCIe card to see of it makes a difference?
Did you verify that the driver for the rocketraid card is installed and compatible with Mojave?

I have the 2840A card and it works perfectly, but I've never upgraded this hack to Mojave

I am currently using it with a vega64 on an X299 board running HS.

I'm currently running Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 BIOS on my PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56.

Sorry, I don't know how much difference an i9-9900K will help with those apps. I don't use either...
Now it really works normal with that storage option disabled. Thanks for your help! Sometimes I guess we don't really have to know why things work. At least it works. :)
I did try to update the Vega to 64 but always got an error message. like not compatible bios or so

Last edited:
Did you try removing the Decklink PCIe card to see of it makes a difference?
Did you verify that the driver for the rocketraid card is installed and compatible with Mojave?

I have the 2840A card and it works perfectly, but I've never upgraded this hack to Mojave

I am currently using it with a vega64 on an X299 board running HS.
I removed the Decklink Card. No difference. And as I wrote before no problem with the Nvidia card. Really strange. I think the Highpoint cards are really amazing. But well don't know why this is a problem. I use the card since so many years (2012) never let me down.

One thing I forgot to mention why I wanted to swap to AMD graphics in the first place was that I had random kernel panics and they where always related to the Nvidia Web-Driver. Very rarely sometimes only once in a week but always und load of Davinci or Premiere. I was really tired of it and since it becomes obc´vous that Nvidia is not working on the drivers anymore I wanted to change to ATI

I removed the Decklink Card. No difference. And as I wrote before no problem with the Nvidia card. Really strange. I think the Highpoint cards are really amazing. But well don't know why this is a problem. I use the card since so many years (2012) never let me down.

Remove the drivers. SAVE THEM in case these don't work. Try these. I think I could run my old 2760A with them. Some of the older RocketRaid cards like my 2760A are technically no longer supported. I got these drivers from Highpoint support in April of 2018 (I think...)

Attachments

• HighPointRR_Mac_109_1013_v4.14.9_18_03_27.dmg
    666.2 KB · Views: 41
Glad you had me looking at my raid. One of my 12 disks dropped off. I only have one spare left (12 x 4TB drives, RAID 10, 2 hot spares) I guess I had the alarm disabled. Losing 1 disk a year isn't too bad. Time to go buy another 4tb back up drive and free it from it's case.

Worse... I don't remember how to figure out which drive is dead. I guess I'll just dupicate a big file and mark all the active disks. the two inactive ones will be the dead drive and the remaining hot spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back