Contribute
Register

[Solved] Mojave graphics problem when PCIe RAID card is plugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
yesterday I installed Mojave and a Saphire Pulse Vega 56 in my setup. Everything went smooth until I replugged my Highpoint RocketRaid 2720 card into the second or third PCIe slot. When I do this the machine boots up to a black screen with cursor and some strange red dots. Sometimes it showing the desktop partly in the middle of the monitor. Please check attached image. When I unplug the card again it boots up normally.
My setup in the moment is:
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z170xp SLI
Graphics: Saphire Pulse Vega 56
CPU: 7700k
I use the Highpoint already since years with macOS 10.11, 10.12 and 10.13 and it always worked fine. Its normally recognized as a hard drive not influencing the booting up.
If anybody has an idea how to fix this I would be very happy. I want to upgrade to a 9900k that's why I want to run Mojave.
Best
BenView attachment 421073

I experienced a tiny screen image when I was messing around with Z390.

Which Aptio memory fix are you using? Have you tried a different Aptio memory fix?
Have you tried toggling CSM on and off in BIOS?

I experienced a tiny screen image when I was messing around with Z390.

Which Aptio memory fix are you using? Have you tried a different Aptio memory fix?
Have you tried toggling CSM on and off in BIOS?
I don't really know I used the standard MultiBeast settings.
I did some further tests. I installed High Sierra on another SSD and tried to boot with RAID card. No luck. Then I plugged back the GTX980Ti and it booted just fine and the RAID was showing up normally.
So it not related to Mojave and not to the RAID controller. The problem seams to be the Vega56. Or at least the combination of Vega and the RAID.
I will look for the Aptio Men fix and the CSM setting now.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.2 MB · Views: 71
Please try this EFI.
I tried. Unfortunately no change. I have the feeling the problem is more on the hardware side. The Gigabyte logo is already full of glitches and distorted before clover starts and only when the raid card is plugged in. Also tried different PCI slots meanwhile. No change.

I tried. Unfortunately no change. I have the feeling the problem is more on the hardware side. The Gigabyte logo is already full of glitches and distorted before clover starts and only when the raid card is plugged in. Also tried different PCI slots meanwhile. No change.

If you are seeing graphical glitches on the motherboard slash screen, it's likely that your video card is flakey.

Also, you should use the EFI folder I posted moving forward, the one you were originally using had too many different Aptio fixes and apfs.efi which isn't needed.

If you are seeing graphical glitches on the motherboard slash screen, it's likely that your video card is flakey.

Also, you should use the EFI folder I posted moving forward, the one you were originally using had too many different Aptio fixes and apfs.efi which isn't needed.
The wired thing is that I only see graphical glitches when the RAID controller is plugged.
Maybe I send the card back and buy another model or a Vega64?

The wired thing is that I only see graphical glitches when the RAID controller is plugged.
Maybe I send the card back and buy another model or a Vega64?

Maybe a conflict in firmware on the two cards. Toggling CSM can affect this too. Maybe check to see if there's a firmware update for the RAID card.

Maybe a conflict in firmware on the two cards. Toggling CSM can affect this too. Maybe check to see if there's a firmware update for the RAID card.
I tried a lot of settings in BIOS now and made some progress. I found out that when I disable "storage boot option control" it would boot up to the Gigabyte splash screen and nothing else would happen. Normally the BIOS of the RAID controller would come first and say: scanning Divices, which would take a while, then the Gigabyte splash screen would come and boot up clover. But when I boot up to the Gigabyte screen like this, then, when nothing happens I press f12 to get the boot options and select my startup disk, it boots up Mojave normally and since the RAID is plugged it shows up and works normally. This is a strange way to start the computer but maybe I can live with it. Even when I select "storage boot option control - UEFI" it would not go past the Splash screen but I can select the drive with f12 again and it boots up. I wonder if its a problem that the RAID utility is not scanning the drives. I also what this option has to do with it and why it only goes beyond the splash screen when I select legacy? The Boot disk is UEFI.
Now I have to decide if I wanna do it that way or I send the GPU back and get a Vega64 instead, hoping that it works better.

I tried a lot of settings in BIOS now and made some progress. I found out that when I disable "storage boot option control" it would boot up to the Gigabyte splash screen and nothing else would happen. Normally the BIOS of the RAID controller would come first and say: scanning Divices, which would take a while, then the Gigabyte splash screen would come and boot up clover. But when I boot up to the Gigabyte screen like this, then, when nothing happens I press f12 to get the boot options and select my startup disk, it boots up Mojave normally and since the RAID is plugged it shows up and works normally. This is a strange way to start the computer but maybe I can live with it. Even when I select "storage boot option control - UEFI" it would not go past the Splash screen but I can select the drive with f12 again and it boots up. I wonder if its a problem that the RAID utility is not scanning the drives. I also what this option has to do with it and why it only goes beyond the splash screen when I select legacy? The Boot disk is UEFI.
Now I have to decide if I wanna do it that way or I send the GPU back and get a Vega64 instead, hoping that it works better.

This sounds very reminiscent of years ago when I had an Apricorn Velocity Solo X1 my old MacPro3,1 (discussed here). Booting with it installed was always weird...

Aren't you currently using a Vega 64? Personally, I think that the issue is more with the RAID card than with the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back