Contribute
Register

[Solved] Mojave - BioStar Hi-Fi Z87x3d - Freezing and Hard Drive light on constant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi

I have recently did a fresh install of Mojave on my BioStar Hi-Fi Z87x3d motherboard (i7-4770k) and I am having issues with the computer freezing solid where the mouse will not move at all and the hard drive light is on constant. The only way I can get out of the freeze is to power the machine off and back on again. I am pretty sure that it is not a hardware issue because I can run Windows 10 on the same computer and I have no problems. I have ran 10.11 and 10.12 previously on this same computer with no freezing but as soon as 10.13 and 10.14 came out they started having issue freezing. I have never used any patched DSDT files with this setup and I am not sure if that is what I need to do now. What exactly do I need to gather to troubleshoot and fix this issue?

Thanks!
Ron

The most recent freeze generated this in console under System Reports:

Analytics_2018_10-27-075200_**********.core_analyitics

{"timestamp":"2018-10-27 07:52:00.17 -0700","bug_type":"211","os_version":"Mac OS X 10.14 (18A391)"}
{"_marker":"<metadata>","_preferredUserInterfaceLanguage":"en-US","_userInterfaceLanguage":"en_US","_userSetRegionFormat":"US","startTimestamp":"2018-10-17T01:12:55Z","version":"1.0"}
{"message":{"BogusFieldNotActuallyEverUsed":null,"Count":1},"name":"TwoHourHeartbeatCount","uuid":"7ad14604-ce6e-45f3-bd39-5bc186d92049"}
{"_marker":"<end-of-file>"}

Did I put this thread in the correct location?

Well I never did get any responses but I think that I may have solved the issue. In 10.13 and 10.14 I noticed that I had the issue with the freezing (with hard drive light on solid) and my 1TB HD was showing as not initialized. In 10.11 and 10.12 these issues did not happen so I searched for Mojave AHCI in the forum. The answer ended up being in the following thread...

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-disk-i-o-error-with-high-sierra.236300/

----------------------
Try Apple AHCIPort.kext v328 or Fix for ICH10.

Check [Solved] Drives not showing up in installer "Disk I/O error" and [Solved] ICH10R and High Sierra
----------------------

I ended up installing Apple AHCIPort.kext v328 using KextBeast in /Library/Extensions and this resolved the issue with my 1TB drive showing as not initialized and also seemed to fix the random freezing issue with the hard drive light getting stuck on. I will continue testing the machine for the week but it has gone 24 hours with no issues and that is a new record for my Mojave install.

Okay, I just wanted to give an update. This issue is indeed resolved after using AHCIPort.kext v328!

Thanks posting updates on your fix even though no one responded to your posts. I just ordered a i3-8100, because it came with a free BIOSTAR B360GT3S MoBo. I've been searching for biostar builds to see what I'm getting myself into, but I have yet to find any with an 8th gen chipset. It will only be my 2nd build and I cheated on the first one. I was able to use an efi from another build. I'm hoping to cobble together enough info from other biostar builds to not have to do to much trouble shooting on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back