Contribute
Register

[solved] Mojave 10.14.1 update lost USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried but Ioreg doesn't register when I plug and unplug usb 2 and 3 devices. I'm afrad this mobo is one of those Rehabman says it doesn't work . But I can't figure out wich chip is handling usb3.

I tried but Ioreg doesn't register when I plug and unplug usb 2 and 3 devices. I'm afrad this mobo is one of those Rehabman says it doesn't work . But I can't figure out wich chip is handling usb3.

Reply in guide thread with problem reporting files.

Hi,

This doesn't work on 10.14.2. I'm a bit late on the Mojave bandwagon and only got the chance to install it recently and don't have access to 10.14.1.

RehabMan guide requires working in batch-15 to get around port limit, but that means I'll have to do it while occluding my keyboard and mouse?

Please help, how to enable port limit on 10.14.2?

Similar to Chiefbeats, my USB 3.0 ports (they are actually all USB 3.1 Gen 1 according to Dell specs) will only work with USB 2.0 devices. I have read through many forum posts, tried discovery, etc., but my SS ports never show up in discovery. IOREG only lists HS ports. When I exclude HS (using -uia_exclude_hs), but include the HS port my KB/mouse is on via boot flags (uia_include=HS08), my kb and mouse still do not work even though I included them on the boot arg list.

FBPatcher shows my USB controller is 0x8086:A2AF, so I have included XHCI-unsupported.kext in my EFI\Clover\kexts\other folder, but once booted, System Information/Extensions shows XHCI-unsupported.kext (0.9.2) as NOT LOADED. Why is this kext not loading?

Since trying to get things working, I have actually gone from bad to worse. It used to be my USB 3.0 flash drives would mount, but only operate at USB 2 speeds. Now, they don't mount at all. USB 2.0 flash drives mount in all my ports (2 USB 2.0 rear, 4 USB 3.1 rear, 2 USB 3.1 front, 2 USB 2.0 internal header used for BT card). I thought I had put everything back the way it was but still cannot mount a USB 3.0 flash drive.

The fact that IOREG does not show any SS ports keeps me from going much further.

Any ideas where to go from here? Attached are the debug files required.

Thanks.

Attachments

• debug_8945.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 213
Hello guys,
after my whole day research and million times of restart, I finally found a solution to this problem.

Tried this patch:
  • Mojave 10.14.0:
    • Name*: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
    • Find* [Hex]: 83FB0F0F 83030500 00
    • Replace* [Hex] : 83FB0F90 90909090 90
    • Comment: USB 10.14+ by PMHeart
    • MatchOS: 10.14
it did not work for me.

tried to install the latest usbinjectall.kext (October 31 2018 version)

did not work

Rehabman's custom SSDT
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

too complicated for me

Finally, I found this patch and it worked!

Comment: USB Port limit patch 10.14.1 18B45d (credits Ricky)
Name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
Find: 83 FB 0F 0F 83 8F 04 00 00
Replace: 83 FB 0F 90 90 90 90 90 90

if you have the same problem, give it a try!

Happy weekend! Cheers!

An additional patch is required to remove port limit: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/usb-port-limit-patch-for-14-1.268893/

I'm just now trying to absorb all this information, which is a little out of my range of expertise. Can it be as simple as finding an SSDT that someone has already written for my GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5?

I'm just now trying to absorb all this information, which is a little out of my range of expertise. Can it be as simple as finding an SSDT that someone has already written for my GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5?

Yes provided the ports they have enabled are the ports that you want enabled. It is really not as complex as it looks like it is. Read the Rehabmans guide and open the files need that need to be modified, it really makes a lot more sense when you are reading the guide while looking at what you actually have to do.

@RehabMan What do you think of this statement?

Some people say there might be memory error by allowing port number to go above 15. That is not true because AppleUSBXHCI actually read hardware registers to allocate memory, for example activeDeviceSet is constructed from Max Device Slots value in HCSPARAMS1. Port limit checks can be safely removed. People might wonder why the first place to limit ports is in AppleUSBXHCI not AppleUSBXHCIPCI. Well, AppleUSBXHCIPCI constructs ports property and calls super class (AppleUSBXHCI) method to enumerate ports. If ports property is defined, only ports listed will be constructed. If no such property exists, AppleUSBXHCI goes through all capabilities defined in the controller. That means by deleting all ACPI USB port definitions, all ports will be enumerated!

I just patched 10.14.3 and removed SSDT and everything seems to work perfectly. I had to keep USBInjectAll because I am using your BRCMXXX patches, otherwise I could have eliminated another kext.

Not that I am complaining about any of your work, I'm a huge fan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back