Contribute
Register

[solved] Mojave 10.14.1 update lost USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds pretty mean! People have work to do.

And if they spent 15 minutes fixing everything by properly implementing an SSDT they would have more time to work rather than keep searching for another answer when the correct answer has already been given, implementing an SSTD and usbinjectall.kext.

It means you made a mistake.
I cannot tell you what it was without details.
Debug folder attached. L/E folder attached. I couldn't attach S/L/E folder as it was too large.

Is there a way for me to submit a list of kexts in the S/L/E folder for you to review instead?

I also attached the kexts that I moved previously to L/E that broke my system. When I moved them to L/E, I believe I left them in S/L/E. I figured, after the fact, there was a problem with this, and I should have deleted them from S/L/E, I guess.

Attachments

• debug_7426.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
  • L:E.zip
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • Previously moved with crash.zip
    1 MB · Views: 75
Debug folder attached. L/E folder attached. I couldn't attach S/L/E folder as it was too large.

Is there a way for me to submit a list of kexts in the S/L/E folder for you to review instead?

I also attached the kexts that I moved previously to L/E that broke my system. When I moved them to L/E, I believe I left them in S/L/E. I figured, after the fact, there was a problem with this, and I should have deleted them from S/L/E, I guess.
Definitely do not install both to LE and SLE. Install all kexts you need to LE only. Read the laptop faq for correct kext install procedures.

Definitely do not install both to LE and SLE. Install all kexts you need to LE only. Read the laptop faq for correct kext install procedures.

Ok, I got everything moved over and it works.

Also, it finally clicked that all the kexts listed in the kextcache were kexts that needed to be moved. At first, I was wondering how do I know which kexts I should move and which kexts should stay. My only question is are the "invalid signature" messages ok to live with or is there a way to fix them?

At this point, is that about it? Debug attached.

Attachments

• debug_1030.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
And if they spent 15 minutes fixing everything by properly implementing an SSDT they would have more time to work rather than keep searching for another answer when the correct answer has already been given, implementing an SSTD and usbinjectall.kext.

I managed the SSTD/usbinjectall.kext fix, but to be fair the instructions move quickly and gloss over some stuff with the assumption that you are familiar with modding config.plist, as well as presenting multiple sample cases and relying on you to know which to skip. The actual fix is 15 minutes, but getting to that 15 minutes takes an hour if you're starting from zero... :)

It would be nice if the instructions started with a complete list of assets you'll need along with DL links, vs peppering those links into the text.

I strongly suggest downloading and using Xcode or similar to edit config.plist - makes the config.plist stuff MUCH easier.

Rehabman's custom SSDT
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

too complicated for me

Finally, I found this patch and it worked!

Comment: USB Port limit patch 10.14.1 18B45d (credits Ricky)
Name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
Find: 83 FB 0F 0F 83 8F 04 00 00
Replace: 83 FB 0F 90 90 90 90 90 90

if you have the same problem, give it a try!

Happy weekend! Cheers!
Thanks for starting this thread - I have been having odd behavior with my "Power Up 360/VR" build since doing a clean install of 10.14.1. I basically followed the same steps that I took to do my initial build (10.13.3 - and never updated until now). BUT, in 10.14.1, have discovered:
  • USB2.0 ports - behave as expected with 2.0 devices (and USB3 devices function properly at 2.0 speeds)
  • USB3.0 ports
    • USB2.0 devices behave as expected
    • USB3.0 devices fail to mount/not visible on desktop/not visible in Disk Utility
  • USB3.1 ports (1@ A, 1@ USB-C)
    • (A) port - works with 2.0, 3.0, and 3.1 devices!!!
    • USB-C port - works with USB3.1 devices
In a nutshell, USB3.0 ports don't work with USB3.0 devices. The good news is that (as a quick fix), your patch above works perfectly... for now. This will buy me some time to study RehabMan's method for making the SSDT for the injecctall kext.

My assumption was that, since USB3.0 didn't work, neither would USB3.1. Thankfully I was wrong on that one, but curious to know if anyone has an idea of the why...

Regardless, thank you @edisonleenan for the detective work and for the initial working solution, and thanks to @RehabMan for your tireless & unending work in making our little utopia here a better place!! :)
--BoomR

(PS to those of you who were wondering why I stayed on 10.13.3 for so long & haven't be updating. This machine is used in weekly production. And with all the mission-critical projects I'm working on, I just can't take the risk of breaking something & being out of commission. I still have my working 10.13.3 on a backup SSD that I'm actually running from the USB3.1 during this initial testing phase, and can reconnect internally if needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back