Contribute
Register

[solved] Mojave 10.14.1 update lost USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,
after my whole day research and million times of restart, I finally found a solution to this problem.

Tried this patch:
  • Mojave 10.14.0:
    • Name*: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
    • Find* [Hex]: 83FB0F0F 83030500 00
    • Replace* [Hex] : 83FB0F90 90909090 90
    • Comment: USB 10.14+ by PMHeart
    • MatchOS: 10.14
it did not work for me.

tried to install the latest usbinjectall.kext (October 31 2018 version)

did not work

Rehabman's custom SSDT
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

too complicated for me

Finally, I found this patch and it worked!

Comment: USB Port limit patch 10.14.1 18B45d (credits Ricky)
Name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
Find: 83 FB 0F 0F 83 8F 04 00 00
Replace: 83 FB 0F 90 90 90 90 90 90

if you have the same problem, give it a try!

Happy weekend! Cheers!

Thank's bro, it's work for me

Thank's bro, it's work for me

Works even better if you just create a custom SSDT, with the benefit of not having to go through the pain again when 10.14.2, 10.14.3, 10.14.4 etc etc are released.

Last edited:
Works even better if you just create a custom SSDT, with the benefit of not having to go through the pain again when 10.14.2, 10.14.3, 10.14.4 etc etc are released.

FWIW, this patch is now included in Mojave MultiBeast: Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit

I just did fresh install of Mojave on spare drive, ran new MB for Mojave, but *did not* do anything with USB. I then added patch from @edisonleenan in OP manually. USB works. Then went in via Clover Configurator and disabled the manual patch. Ran new MB, but selected *only* Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit. Rebooted. USB works this way, too.

Finally, opened my config.plist with Clover Configurator. Compared both patches - identical (1st patch with BS_ is manual patch added by me):
USB stuff.png
(PS - no profanity intended...those are my initials) :headbang:

BUT, unless you create a custom SSDT, on the next update to 10.14.2, your USB3 ports are likely to be broken again.

You will then have to go hunting the internet to find what the next patch is or wait until Multibeast has been updated and then rerun that.

Why not take 15 minutes to create the SSDT and be done with the hassle of it breaking on every update. You do need the patch in there to start with while you create your SSDT but it can then be deleted and forgotten about as you won't need it updating any more.

You do need the patch in there to start with while you create your SSDT

Not really.
My guide procedures do not require defeating the port limit.

Not really.
My guide procedures do not require defeating the port limit.

Granted, but it does make it a lot easier, IMHO, as you don't need to do them in batches of 15 if you can see them all at once, and makes it easier for the newbie, like me.

Either way, creating the SSDT is the best way forward, and is a lot easier than it looks, just follow your guide on how to do it.

Granted, but it does make it a lot easier, IMHO, as you don't need to do them in batches of 15 if you can see them all at once, and makes it easier for the newbie, like me.

Yes, assuming you have a port limit patch for your version...
But the guide, as written, does not depend on it, and does not recommend it either.

Either way, creating the SSDT is the best way forward, and is a lot easier than it looks, just follow your guide on how to do it.

Yes.

You will then have to go hunting the internet to find what the next patch is or wait until Multibeast has been updated and then rerun that.

FWIW, I'm not one of those guys who has to stay on the bleeding edge and upgrade the instant a new point release comes out (and that is not meant as a put-down). I usually wait for 2-3 point releases before I even consider updating. I use my CustoMac for paid production work, and some of my pro audio & video apps take a while before they can get tested & caught up with the latest versions.

So **for me** - this method should suffice for now. Not saying that I will never follow the recommended process & use RehabMan's guide/procedures, but this keeps me up & running until the next fire drill is over... cheers!
--B

Hello, I can't make those patches work on my Z170XP-SLI mobo. Do you have any idea to get it right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back