Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Missing IGPU trace with Intel Power Gadget

Recently I noticed that on all my Hacks Intel Power Gadget (IPG) was no longer showing a trace for the IGPU:-

Thank you @jaymonkey for sharing. Useful post.

As I have explained it in #528 with screenshots, on some systems Intel Power Gadget (IPG) does not show IGPU trace at all if not chosen appropriate Platform ID.

For example Coffe Lake desktop PlatfromID's are.
0x3E9B0007 (desktop, 3 connectors, no fbmem)
0x3E920003 (desktop, 0 connectors, no fbmem)
0x3E910003 (desktop, 0 connectors, no fbmem)
0x3E980003 (desktop, 0 connectors, no fbmem)

But only 0x3E9B0007 shows trace on Intel Power Gadget (IPG) and also IGPU appears on Activity monitor but still hidden on System Information.

My situation is that, if model is set to "Intel xxxx" intel power gadget works but istats not. istat only works when the model is exactly set to "UHD Graphics 630".

Exactly set to "UHD Graphics 630" or "Intel UHD Graphics 630"? Please be exact!

missing DRAM Power Consumption trace :

maybe due to
(a) hardware : different LPC sensors chip used (Gigabyte : ITE chip, Asus/Asrock :Nuvoton), or
(b) software : ACPI sensor software implementation (compared with CPU/GPU power consumption, the change in DRAM power consumption is so small, who will care this parameter)

@telepati,

That is correct, when a IGPU is used with iMac or MacMini SMBIOS it will always run at the max IGPU clock frequency. Normally the IGPU in a iMac is configured as headless and only used for compute functions so no need to regulate its power consumption as overall its very little compared to CPU power management.

As you can see on this screen grab from my Desktop Hack using SMBIOS iMac15,1 with HD4600 as headless :-

View attachment 436779
You can see that the IGPU is pegged at 1.25Ghz ... which is to be expected.

MacOS will only use IGPU power management when using a Mobile SMBIOS such as MacBookPro or MacBookAir which helps to conserve battery power.

Cheers
Jay

Thats not the case for headless 19,1 , IGPU fluctuates a lot from 0.15 to 1.25 something...

@jaymonkey
I am using imac19,1 smbios with i7-9700k in BigSur (platform id 3E980003 headless mode with Sapphire Pulse RX580 gpu)
If I add DGPU device property (Pro 580x), I don't see any trace of iGPU in intel gadget. When I use encoding in videoproc, it uses intel quicksync and I see activity in power gadget. After adding dgpu properties in opencore, it stays at zero. Any reason why?

@jaymonkeyIf I add DGPU device property (Pro 580x), I don't see any trace of iGPU in intel gadget. When I use encoding in videoproc, it uses intel quicksync and I see activity in power gadget. After adding dgpu properties in opencore, it stays at zero. Any reason why?

@tech1eguy,

Those Apple MPX modules are very device specific as such (although I'm not 100% sure) it is possible that by manually injecting the Pro 580X DGPU device properties MacOS has configured some elements of the video-toolbox API to match what a 2019 Mac Pro uses even though your using a iMac 19,1 SMBIOS. The 2019 MacPro does not have a IGPU and instead uses the T2 chip for non-pro video encode/decode such as H264 & H265)

It's not something i've come across personally but that would be my best guess .....

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back