CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why my system wouldn't update from 10.3.4 to 10.3.5 and subsequently to 10.3.6. I followed directions per this forum and after reboot I would get this screen which reads (screenshot attached):

macOS could not be installed on your computer

An error occurred while loading the installer resources.
Quite the installer to restart your computer and try again.

1. Make sure your System Definition in SMBIOS is correct. If not, use Clover Configurator to generate the proper serial number as per instructions found here

2. Quit all applications, open up the Terminal and type:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Updates/*

followed by

sudo rm -rf "/macOS Install Data"

(this will get rid of any partial/incomplete updates you may have stored on your system while attempting to update)

3. Instead of going the usual App Store route, run the following command inside the terminal:

sudo softwareupdate --dump-state -i -a

This should attempt to install all available updates, and will log errors to /var/log/install.log

Once update is downloaded, you'll see a message in the terminal which tells you to Restart immediately.

NOTE: The machine reboots several times. Upon the first reboot, the install file should be selected by default. Then another reboot, and second time you'll have to reselect the same install file manually and proceed. The installation should then complete. Once it completes, it'll reboot once more and at this point, should automatically boot into your OS.

Attachments

• macOS update error.JPG
    macOS update error.JPG
    570.5 KB · Views: 2,110
  • Screenshot 2018-07-13 11.14.29.png
    Screenshot 2018-07-13 11.14.29.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 842
This is the error I'm getting trying to install but I'm coming from scratch... what can I do?

These steps resolved my issue updating to 10.13.6 after a fresh install. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back