Contribute
Register

[Solved] macOS could not be installed on your computer...installer resources error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success! I'm probably jumping the gun, but the install program is running, so I think I'm past this problem.

I had to learn how to cd into a directory with spaces in the name (Install macOS Mojave.app, for example). Once I figured that out, the method in terminal laid out by yourgamesbeover above works just fine.

Thanks for the help.

If I ever figure out how to change the title, I will add "Solved"

Hi! I get the same problem at installation.

It would have been nice to explain better your success for people like me who are not great at commands.

However I think my problem is elsewhere.

Actually my volume to find the OS installer is /Volumes/Mojave
When I 'ls' it I only get this
.IAP ProductInfo mac OS Install Data
which itselfs contains a librairy 20181109_203453.jpg

Do i do something wrong?

First of all, when you press ctrl+cmd+shift+alt+h , anything specific should happen ? a window pop-up or something?
I guess if I reach the console then it's OK!

Last edited:
Okay so @FabCa

First press `ctrl+cmd+shitft+alt+h`.
After that you can access your mouse. Now in the top bar click on Utilities and click on Terminal...
When a terminal opens up you can run type `mount` and press enter. You will see all the mounted disks. The one you will probably need is one of the disks starting with /Volumes/{drive_name}.
{drive_name} is the name you gave the drive when you formatted the disk in the disk utility.
If you know which one is your drive where you want to install mac os you can run `cd Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources`

Now you can run `./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/{drive_name}`

Thanks to @yourgamesbeover for pointing this out!

Been having the same problem and helped for me!

Hi! I get the same problem at installation.

It would have been nice to explain better your success for people like me who are not great at commands.

However I think my problem is elsewhere.

Actually my volume to find the OS installer is /Volumes/Mojave
When I 'ls' it I only get this
.IAP ProductInfo mac OS Install Data
which itselfs contains a librairyView attachment 364424

Do i do something wrong?

First of all, when you press ctrl+cmd+shift+alt+h , anything specific should happen ? a window pop-up or something?
I guess if I reach the console then it's OK!

You shouldn't cd to your `/Volumes/Mojave`
you should cd to `cd Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources`

Hello FabCa,

I am not very knowledgeable, but I will try and try to remember.

When you reach the error page, if you look at the top of the screen the drop down menu is only for restart options. When you press ctrl+cmd+shift+alt+h, that upper menu line changes to give you options including a "utilities" drop down menu. In that menu you will find "terminal".

Then use post #9 from "yourgamesbeover" as a guide in Terminal. First do the 'mount' command as he has described to find the volume name of your target install disk.

For the next part, you need to be in the 'root' directory which is just a \ at the command line prompt. You can use the command, 'pwd' (by the way don't use the ', just the letters) which will tell you your current directory. When you finish with the mount command, you will probably be 2 or more directories away from the root. You can use 'cd ..' to go up one directory. Repeat until pwd tells you are in root.

In root, you can do the 'ls -a' command which will show you all of the directories at this level, including hidden directories. When you are on root, one of those will be the Install macOS xxxx directory where the startosinstall is deep inside.

The first thing you need to know is the trick to change to directories with spaces in their name like "Install macOS." In a normal change directories command, you just have cd and the directory. For example, you can change from root to /Volumes with the command 'cd /Volumes'. If you want to change into Install macOS xxxx, the trick is to type cd "/Install then push tab on the keyboard. The system should automatically complete the directory name.

So now you need to get to the startosinstall program. You need to change directories several times to get to ;

/Install macOS xxxx/Contents/Resources

Inside that directory you will find the startosinstall program. Once there, run the program as explained in post 9.

That got the installation running. I did ended up running into another problem further into my install. My crash didn't seem to have anything to do with the process above. Good luck on your install. There is a lot for us newbies to learn.

Thanks so much guys @roelvdboom and @
lehmanhill

I forgot all about those basics, nice refresh here!

Ok so basically, for those who have followed the instructions in the installation guide, the commands are as follow :

First press `ctrl+cmd+shitft+alt+h`
Then into the terminal you must access the root by the following commands :
'cd ..' you must use this command twice or more until you the command 'pwd' gets you this result "/"

Then 'cd Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources'
then `./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Mojave' or if you named the target drive different `./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/{drive_name}'

Worked out for me! Now let's get to post install...

Note that you have to reboot 2 or 3 times before completing the install. Make sure to boot from your USB installer from the Bios to reach Clover, and then to boot from Clover you must boot from our target drive (Mojave on my exemple).

Thanks guys. I've been installing macOS on hackintoshes for a while and I've never had to go into Terminal to complete the install. This thread was very helpful.

Another thing I had to do different this time was convert my downloaded Install macOS from the Apple Store from a "stub" install file (22 mb) to a complete install file (6 gb) so I could make my Unibeast install USB. I used this thread to fix that:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cted-mac-os-x-installer-is-incomplete.249330/

Is that process the cause of the problem in this thread?

Is that process the cause of the problem in this thread?

Not sure. I had to do the same as you prior to create the installation USB but actually I don't see the reason why this would be related to the problem in this thread.

Thanks so much guys @roelvdboom and @
lehmanhill

I forgot all about those basics, nice refresh here!

Ok so basically, for those who have followed the instructions in the installation guide, the commands are as follow :

First press `ctrl+cmd+shitft+alt+h`
Then into the terminal you must access the root by the following commands :
'cd ..' you must use this command twice or more until you the command 'pwd' gets you this result "/"

Then 'cd Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources'
then `./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Mojave' or if you named the target drive different `./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/{drive_name}'

Worked out for me! Now let's get to post install...

Note that you have to reboot 2 or 3 times before completing the install. Make sure to boot from your USB installer from the Bios to reach Clover, and then to boot from Clover you must boot from our target drive (Mojave on my exemple).
Hey @FabCa, I tried this method however it gave me the following Error.

Error:could not get license agreement

I googled and some other place mentioned to use the following command.

./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/High\ Sierra/ --agreetolicense

This Error Occured

Error:-[OSISClient prepareOSInstaller:error:]_block_invoke, Couldn't communicate with a helper application.
Heler tool crashed...
Error:could not find target...

Any Ideas how this can be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back