Contribute
Register

[Solved] macOS could not be installed on your computer...installer resources error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H370M-DS3H
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This problem has been mentioned by diogodiasthx, but after several other issues, so I thought I was worth a new thread.

I am trying to do a new install of either High Sierra or Mojave. I have created the install file by the method explained by toro86 in this thread.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cted-mac-os-x-installer-is-incomplete.249330/

Creating the USB goes perfectly using Unibeast 8.3.2 for High Sierra and Unibeast 9.0.0 for Mojave.
The initial install from the USB works as expected. One surprise is that the USB has to be in a USB 2 slot, even though the latest USBInjectAll is in the Clover file.

After reaching the language page and completing the first stage of install, the computer restarts and I select the USB to boot from. At the Clover boot page, I select the hard drive and when it reaches the end of the "apple icon/bar graph", I get the message below.

"macOS could not be installed on your computer
An error occurred while loading the installer resources.
Restart your computer and try again"

This error occurs in both High Sierra and Mojave installs. I have started over several times, but this error is robust.

Can anyone help? I am probably doing something wrong.

I had something similar, might sound dumb but have you got any other drives plugged in? If so, try disconnecting them.

A strange suggestion, but I will try anything. Alas, same error message for both High Sierra and Mojave.

Any other suggestions?
Just saw exactly the same thing and disconnecting the other drive solved it.

OK, just for clarity. I currently have only the USB install drive and a single platter drive on the target computer. Am I correct in that is the configuration you are using?

With this configuration, I am still getting the error. I have prepared separate USB install drives for Mojave and High Sierra and have the same problem with both. Each install attempt is starting from the beginning, including erasing the target drive.

I've been having the same problem. At first I was doing a High Sierra -> Mojave in-place update, but kept getting a "disk is full" error at this same point. So I decided to do a fresh install and am now stuck with the installer resources error. I did notice the last thing the installer logs complain about before failing is not being able to find "/Library/Preferences/com.apple/ViewBridge.plist", not sure if it's important. any ideas?

EDIT:
Scrolling back up the log, I notice the following lines just before hiding the progress ui:

mountDiskImageWithURLString: (null)
mountDiskImageWithPath is NOT valid, not attempting to mount
Couldn't mount the payload dmg ((null)): Error Domain=com.apple.osinstall Code=-34 "An error occurred while loading the installer resources"

maybe something is wrong with the installer dmg?

Last edited:
Update: I found a workaround that at least worked for me.

From that error message, I pressed ctrl+command+shift+alt+H to get full control, opened terminal, and manually executed startosinstall targeting the proper volume. after that, the installation went fine

That's very cool. Could you lay out your specific terminal commands? I am a newby and don't know all the command structure.

Is it as simple as

startosinstall mojave

Thanks.

That's very cool. Could you lay out your specific terminal commands? I am a newby and don't know all the command structure.

Is it as simple as

startosinstall mojave

Thanks.

Let me try to remember how it worked...
first, run `mount`,
you should see something listed as mounted at /Volumes/<name of disk to install on>
remember what that was, you'll need it later

next, go to / (`cd /`),
run `ls` to see what folders are there, there should be one called 'install macOS Mojave.app', cd into it
cd into 'Contents/Resources'

If I've remembered the folders correctly, you should now be in the folder that contains startosinstall

recall the path we found in the first step, this is where you need it
now simply run `./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/<name of disk to install on>`

if it's not --volume, run `./startosinstall --usage` and it'll tell you the correct flag.

let me know if that works, or if I got the folder names wrong :p

yourgamesbeover,

Thanks for the help. I was able to get to /Volumes and find the target disk. I also was able to find the 'install macOS Mojave.app' on the root directory. I've been beating my head against the wall, but for reasons unknown, I am unable to 'cd' into the 'install macOS Mojave.app' directory. It shows in a root 'ls', but it acts like it is in a different directory. Maybe you will recognize what I 'm doing wrong, but I will keep trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back