Contribute
Register

[Solved] macOS could not be installed on your computer...installer resources error

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kcyyk, please update your profile (account details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card(s).
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

Let me try to remember how it worked...
first, run `mount`,
you should see something listed as mounted at /Volumes/<name of disk to install on>
remember what that was, you'll need it later

next, go to / (`cd /`),
run `ls` to see what folders are there, there should be one called 'install macOS Mojave.app', cd into it
cd into 'Contents/Resources'

If I've remembered the folders correctly, you should now be in the folder that contains startosinstall

recall the path we found in the first step, this is where you need it
now simply run `./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/<name of disk to install on>`

if it's not --volume, run `./startosinstall --usage` and it'll tell you the correct flag.

let me know if that works, or if I got the folder names wrong :p

Thank you very much. It helped me.

Hi, anyone can help I already try ylx command. Not working for me. I don't know what wrong on my command.
Please modify your command :

cp -rf /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedResources/* /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/macOS\ install\ data/

Please notice the space and the difference of "/" and "\" in the command.
Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Also I think the target folder is: "macOS Install Data" not "macOS install data". At least that's what I found on my side.

A couple of appendings from my experience(though I have not resolved it yet):
1. In some installer apps(I am using Mojave 10.14.5 from appstore), the folder that contains the necessary files is named as SharedSupport rather than SharedResources as @Ylx mentioned.
2. Actually, all the space and slash hassles can be dodged by typing a few letter and press tab for the terminal to auto-complete for you.
3. You can also find several installers in /Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/MacOS/, they seem also do the main installing stuff.
4. If you run into server issues when running either the installer I mentioned or the one @yourgamesbeover said, some msg like: cannot link to some verification/restore server, try to have internet access. If you are like me having an Intel wireless network card, find a wired internet you can use.

Ok, now the problems I still have are:
1. Running the ./startinstall command gives me a breakdown after 80% or so preparation.
2. Running the installer with GUI works fine, but afterwards it asks for a reboot and after the reboot things still the same as the beginning.

Things I have already tried:
1. Format the target drive to be APFS.
2. Using the clover on my SSD rather than the one in the portable drive.
3. Redownload a third-party image and burn it to the portable drive using the command `createbootablemedia` from the installer.

I don't have a screwdriver at hand and that is why I want to stick to the method from this thread, rather plug in and off my HDD like said in other threads. If anyone could shed some light on my situation, I will appreciate it very much.

A couple of appendings from my experience(though I have not resolved it yet):
1. In some installer apps(I am using Mojave 10.14.5 from appstore), the folder that contains the necessary files is named as SharedSupport rather than SharedResources as @Ylx mentioned.
2. Actually, all the space and slash hassles can be dodged by typing a few letter and press tab for the terminal to auto-complete for you.
3. You can also find several installers in /Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/MacOS/, they seem also do the main installing stuff.
4. If you run into server issues when running either the installer I mentioned or the one @yourgamesbeover said, some msg like: cannot link to some verification/restore server, try to have internet access. If you are like me having an Intel wireless network card, find a wired internet you can use.

Ok, now the problems I still have are:
1. Running the ./startinstall command gives me a breakdown after 80% or so preparation.
2. Running the installer with GUI works fine, but afterwards it asks for a reboot and after the reboot things still the same as the beginning.

Things I have already tried:
1. Format the target drive to be APFS.
2. Using the clover on my SSD rather than the one in the portable drive.
3. Redownload a third-party image and burn it to the portable drive using the command `createbootablemedia` from the installer.

I don't have a screwdriver at hand and that is why I want to stick to the method from this thread, rather plug in and off my HDD like said in other threads. If anyone could shed some light on my situation, I will appreciate it very much.

I am also getting the same problem. I did the same what you have done. but still, the problem is there. =(
need help

Last edited:
I am also getting the same problem. I did the same what you have done. but still, the problem is there. =(
need help
Finally, I just uninstall the harddrive and redo all procedures:crazy:, and get it installed at last

Let me try to remember how it worked...
first, run `mount`,
you should see something listed as mounted at /Volumes/<name of disk to install on>
remember what that was, you'll need it later

next, go to / (`cd /`),
run `ls` to see what folders are there, there should be one called 'install macOS Mojave.app', cd into it
cd into 'Contents/Resources'

If I've remembered the folders correctly, you should now be in the folder that contains startosinstall

recall the path we found in the first step, this is where you need it
now simply run `./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/<name of disk to install on>`

if it's not --volume, run `./startosinstall --usage` and it'll tell you the correct flag.

let me know if that works, or if I got the folder names wrong :p

Hi

after cd

Have a same problem. when I write `cd install macOS Mojave.app` it says no such file or directory. what I did wrong

what i need to do next

I wrote -

cp -rf /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/* /Volumes/High\ Sierra/macOS\ install\ data/ . nothing happens. ready for new command. I checked in High Sierra there's no SharedResources, just resources

Attachments

• 20190719_110610.jpg
    20190719_110610.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 235
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back