i7-8700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[edit - sorry but this didn't file in the correct section, and I can't move or delete the post. Would some admin kindly move it to the High Sierra Laptop or Mac OS section, whichever is applicable? Thanks!)

Hi All! Thanks for this highly informative forum :)

The Issue:
- I've just installed a Gmyle expresscard34 USB3.0 adaptor on a MacBookPro-17" mid-2010, running High Sierra 10.13.2; but it fails to see any USB3 drives connected to the card.
- As well, MultiBeast installs FakeSMC.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext to /Volumes/Library/Extensions/ - BUT
- when FakeSMC.kext is in the /Volumes/Library/Extensions/ folder, the system hangs on startup (click thumbnail to see large pic).
kext hang.jpg

- If I move the FakeSMC to a /Unsupported subfolder, the computer boots normally.

How I installed:
- disabled CSRUtil while in Recovery Mode
- In Multibeast ver.10.2.0, under "Quick Start" - selected Legacy Boot Mode
- In /Drivers/USB, selected "3rd Party USB 3.0"
- In the "Bootloaders" tab, saw that "Clover Legacy Boot Mode" had been pre-selected
- In the "Customize" tab, changed the system definition to MacBookPro 6,1 (it was showing as "iMac 14,1")
- Build/Install/Reboot.
- No luck.

Observations:
- The installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext appears not to affect booting
- Other than the little icon in the menubar (pic), no recognition of the card or any connected USB drives/sticks
expresscard icon.png
- I checked the version of FakeSMC is current/latest to the version on RehabMan's cloud repository

Question:
- How can I get FakeSMC to work? Do I need it? If not, why is the card not recognizing any media?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Art

PS: FYI, although I'm somewhat of an initiate with terminal, I can follow instructions, and generally understand what I'm doing.

Last edited:
[edit - sorry but this didn't file in the correct section, and I can't move or delete the post. Would some admin kindly move it to the High Sierra Laptop or Mac OS section, whichever is applicable? Thanks!)

Hi All! Thanks for this highly informative forum :)

The Issue:
- I've just installed a Gmyle expresscard34 USB3.0 adaptor on a MacBookPro-17" mid-2010, running High Sierra 10.13.2; but it fails to see any USB3 drives connected to the card.
- As well, MultiBeast installs FakeSMC.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext to /Volumes/Library/Extensions/ - BUT
- when FakeSMC.kext is in the /Volumes/Library/Extensions/ folder, the system hangs on startup (click thumbnail to see large pic).
View attachment 313234

- If I move the FakeSMC to a /Unsupported subfolder, the computer boots normally.

How I installed:
- disabled CSRUtil while in Recovery Mode
- In Multibeast ver.10.2.0, under "Quick Start" - selected Legacy Boot Mode
- In /Drivers/USB, selected "3rd Party USB 3.0"
- In the "Bootloaders" tab, saw that "Clover Legacy Boot Mode" had been pre-selected
- In the "Customize" tab, changed the system definition to MacBookPro 6,1 (it was showing as "iMac 14,1")
- Build/Install/Reboot.
- No luck.

Observations:
- The installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext appears not to affect booting
- Other than the little icon in the menubar (pic), no recognition of the card or any connected USB drives/sticks
View attachment 313235
- I checked the version of FakeSMC is current/latest to the version on RehabMan's cloud repository

Question:
- How can I get FakeSMC to work? Do I need it? If not, why is the card not recognizing any media?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Art

PS: FYI, although I'm somewhat of an initiate with terminal, I can follow instructions, and generally understand what I'm doing.

Why are you trying to hack your Apple MacBook Pro 17" mid-2010 laptop?

This site is for non-Apple hardware that can't run macOS/OS X natively...

Why are you trying to hack your Apple MacBook Pro 17" mid-2010 laptop?

This site is for non-Apple hardware that can't run macOS/OS X natively...

Hi RehabMan - the ONLY reason is to run the Gmyle Expresscard34 USB3.0 adaptor. Several MacBook Pro owners have successfully done this, there is also a thread here on the /Mac Hardware/MacBook Pro section (sorry, I messed up in not OP'ing this in that section :))

It all began with this -

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi RehabMan - the ONLY reason is to run the Gmyle Expresscard34 USB3.0 adaptor.

I don't know why you think you need FakeSMC.kext for that.

Note that GenericUSBXHCI.kext is quite buggy esp. on later than 10.10.x
(must plug devices in multiple times, and should plug in prior to boot).

I don't know why you think you need FakeSMC.kext for that.

Noted! I discovered as much just now, reading through a bunch of posts here and on macrumors.

Looks like I only need to figure out why GenericUSBXHCI.kext isn't correctly loading, and that should bring me closer to goal.

Note that GenericUSBXHCI.kext is quite buggy esp. on later than 10.10.x
(must plug devices in multiple times, and should plug in prior to boot).

I think that was it - either that, or manually fixing the permissions on GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Rebooted, and it's working just fine :)

Tested a 1GB video file with a directly inserted Kingston G4 32GB USB Stick. Both Write and Read speeds are about 50% faster than the built-in USB host. Now that it's working, I'll investigate optimal speeds.

Thanks again for your help!!

Cheers,
Art

I think that was it - either that, or manually fixing the permissions on GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Rebooted, and it's working just fine :)

Tested a 1GB video file with a directly inserted Kingston G4 32GB USB Stick. Both Write and Read speeds are about 50% faster than the built-in USB host. Now that it's working, I'll investigate optimal speeds.

Thanks again for your help!!

Cheers,
Art
Hi artissmo, can you please tell me some details how you fixed the problem? I would really appreciate it.
I am trying to install a 3rd party USB 3 express card on my 2010 MacBook Pro and having a problem. After disabling csrtuil and running the multibeast, I rebooted it but it’s not booting up. Frozen with the apple logo at startup. What does it mean to fix the permission on GenericUSBXHCI “manually”? Thank you so much for your help!

You have to do that in terminal, from what I recall. The 3rd party usb card was a flop ultimately, it didn't work most of the time. Then in April my MacBook Pro started to die - GPU issues. I retired it and now use a hackintosh desktop instead.

My experience was a bummer overall, although my card DID work a few times. It's a Gmyle Express BC628, fyi. Got it off eBay for under $10.

If you take the card out, does the computer boot normally? In which case I think you may be stuck with an incompatible/defective card. From what I recall, the MacBook shouldn't even recognize a card there unless the driver's loaded.

Sorry I can't be more helpful! I'm generally really bad with Terminal and code-type stuff, and tend to forget instructions within hours of actually reading something up online and attempting to bulldoze a solution :D

If you did it in terminal... well then I have no idea how. Mine still doesn't boot even without the card inserted - it's a CSL express usb3.0 card from Amazon. Thank you anyway for taking time to reply!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back