Contribute
Register

[Solved] Mac OS X High Sierra installation stalled. Help for newbie please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock z370 Extreme 4
CPU
intel core i7 8700k
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070ti Gaming 8192MB GDDR5
Hi,

Please can anybody help. I've been trying for a couple of days using unibeast to install High Sierra 10.13.4

UEFI Settings:
Set to Optimized Defaults
Disable SuperIO parallel and serial ports
Disable CSM
Enable XHCI Handoff (USB)
Check that AHCI is enabled
XMP profile 1

Booted up as far as the Clover screen and ticked fix ownership and inject for USB.

Thereafter it hangs halfway through mac install screen.

I attach a copy of verbose mode where it stops.

My build comprises of:

CPU : i7 8700k o/c at 4500MHz
mboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: GSkill DDR4 16GB dual channel o/c at 3700MHz
Chipset: z370
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070ti
SSD: Samsung 250GB Evo
HDD: 2 x Firecuda 2TB
PSU: RM 650X
Monitor: AOC Q3279VWF
H2O cooling: ZXT Kraken X62

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 114
Are you using an NVME drive from Samsung or a Sata SSD ?

Sorry I should have said; it's an NVME drive. I have Windows 10 installed on this. I was hopping to use one of the Firecuda HDDs to install osx on.
Try shutting down and then remove the NVME drive with Windows on it. Boot from the Unibeast installer and try again.

Try shutting down and then remove the NVME drive with Windows on it. Boot from the Unibeast installer and try again.
Didn't help unfortunately. I tried adding VT-d = Off too but no joy.
Attached is where I'm stuck in verbose mode.
Any ideas what to try next?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 114
Please can anybody help? I'm lost as to what to try next.
I have uploaded edited and annotated image of your Verbose boot screen.
  • Problem is from USB port File transfer failure
    • Please check your BIOS to make sure your USB controllers are ENABLED [USB Legacy Controller XHCI-hand Off , EHCI Hand- Off]
    • Check /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other to ensure USBInjectall.kexts present
    • Check /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist_USB section has [√] Inject [√]FixOwnership.
    • If needed, change your USB installer to a port in the back and switch ports until you find one that does not quit during install (trial and error)
    • Ideally, you should have a good USB Flash disk (for HS Installer) with a GOOD Flashing LED to show file transfer like16GB Lexar //SunData/Kootion or similar ones with a Very Good LED which would at this point fail to flash showing no file transfer.
  • Edited to add:
One more thing I noted in your hardware SPECS : you got two Graphics. Your Integrated Intel HD 630 and PCIE Nvidia that can at a later stage cause a "Graphics related Freeze" unless you REMOVE Nvidia and use Intel HD 630 with appropriate BIOS Graphics options and CLOVER/kexts/other and config.plist editing during initial installation on to the Hard disk and later following Nvidia Webdriver install, CLOVER editing , reboot>BIOS> changing Graphics to PCIE and Disabling previously used Intel HD IGFX option and DVMT -Pre-allocated Memory selection of 128M (or minimum64M) booting the System HS disk.

My advice is to start those changes now to prevent the expected 2nd boot failure now, rather than face the problem and troubleshoot at that time.

Attachments

• 1.USB Port File Transfer failure.png
    1.USB Port File Transfer failure.png
    936.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Thankyou. That did the trick and USB now happy. Furthest I've managed to get!

I am now unable to select any drive to install High Sierra on to, each one I click it says "This disk is locked".

Do I need to go back into Windows and format in a particular way or is there a setting in Clover I can amend?

Think I've found it. Didn't realise there is a disk utility in the installer to format with
I suggest you use your camera to make screen shots and upload to the Form those images to support and supplement your post based on your observation of what is happening on your monitor screen.
A picture is always worth a thousand words when it comes to computer troubleshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back