Not open for further replies.

Dan

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA 7 Z97X
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 760
This is a weird one. My hackintosh works amazingly, I installed it 2 nights ago. However each morning after shutting it down and turning off all power it will not turn on unless I physically unplug the 20 pin connector from my motherboard and put it back in. As soon as it goes in, it turns on and loads perfectly. It won’t work however when I put the extra 4 pins in to take it up to the 24 pins required for the motherboard. Custom built pc 3 years old, only used a handful of times before converting to a hackintosh. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 3B7819FE-B3DB-46C9-A636-13612BA81195.jpeg
    3B7819FE-B3DB-46C9-A636-13612BA81195.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
This is a weird one. My hackintosh works amazingly, I installed it 2 nights ago. However each morning after shutting it down and turning off all power it will not turn on unless I physically unplug the 20 pin connector from my motherboard and put it back in. As soon as it goes in, it turns on and loads perfectly. It won’t work however when I put the extra 4 pins in to take it up to the 24 pins required for the motherboard. Custom built pc 3 years old, only used a handful of times before converting to a hackintosh. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there,

First instinct for this problem is the PSU.

What brand is it?

Sounds like an electrical short going on there...

Do you have access to another you could test with? They're expensive things otherwise and you don't want to buy one blindly if it isn't the problem.

:rolleyes:

Looks like you spent a lot more on the motherboard (GA-Z97X-Gaming 7) than you did on your power supply. There is no name brand on it. Says 780W which is highly questionable. As Utter Disbelief mentioned, it is most likely PSU related. Replace it immediately with something from Corsair or EVGA. Good 500W power supplies from a trusted brand are not that expensive these days. Even so, it's worth paying more for higher quality. Helps extend the life of most of the other parts in your build. Gives you peace of mind that they won't be damaged by a cheap, low quality PSU that doesn't even meet minimum specs for safety.

Screen Shot 13.jpg

Apologies for not replying but this was the stupidest tiny little thing that was the problem so I forgot to post. I have a powered USB that was plugged in. As soon as I unplugged it the unit powered on with no problems. I can only assume it was trying to pull power from the USB hub rather than the PSU.
I will be changing the PSU at some point soon by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back