Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 6870
So after successfully getting SL to work on my new hackintosh, I have been attempting to install Lion. In the guide (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html) I get to step 4, the actual lion install, before I get the following kernel panic when booting the installer.

IMG_0571.JPG

From what I can tell from the searching I have done, the panic is indicating the problem lies with FakeSMC and IOPCIFamily. Others seem to have had this problem, but for whatever reason I have been unable to fix it. I don't know HOW to install the "fixed" kext files on the installer partition.
These two topics cover what I'm getting at, but don't quite explain everything.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=29460&hilit=kernel+lion+installer
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=28773&hilit=kernel+lion+installer+panic

Basically, the goal is to install the kexts from S/L/E in SL to \volumes\extra folder on the installer, but the \extra folder doesn't exist on the installer. Do I create a new folder?
Is there a way to run Multibeast on the Installer partition (not the snow leopard one which it defaults to)? Do I have to install the kexts manually? If so, where do I find the "fixed" kexts?

Maybe I was really close and just didn't repair permissions on the installer partition correctly, but the point is that I am a Noob and don't know how correctly and comprehensively fix this kernel panic.

-----------------
Hardware
gigabyte ga-z68mx-ud2h-b3
intel core i7 2600k
corsair vengeance 16gb ram
xfx radeon hd6870 1gb
h50 cooler
owc 120gb 6g electra ssd

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 658
Re: Lion Installer Boot causes Kernel Panic

Ok, so after researching other forums I was able to solve this problem. Exact steps laid out below. This assumes that you are at step 4 from the guide and xmove was successful.

1. Download KextWizard (google)

2. In Snow Leopard 10.6.8, use multibeast to download the kexts that showed up under "dependencies" in the kernel panic. These are the "good" kexts.
(mine were FakeSMC and IOPCIFamily)

3. Open KextWizard, go to Installation and chose "Installer" as the destination and system/library/extensions as location
4. Browse for the fixed kexts (FakeSMC was in Extras folder, IOPCIFamily was in system/library/extensions)
5. Click install
6. Go to Maintenance and check system/library/extensions (so everything works) on the Installer drive

Now that kernel panic should be gone the next time you boot the installer!

On installing lion---------
You're going to want to partition the drive and install lion as a fresh install on that partition. Why? Because after the installation the same kernel panic will show up on the new lion partition upon boot.

To fix that, boot into the old snow leopard partition (glad you saved it) and repeat steps 3 through 6 except with the Lion partition as the destination.

Reboot into lion, run multibeast with all the same options (and any other fixes) that worked with 10.6.8 and you are DONE!

Maybe get rid of the old SL and lion installer partitions once you are done transferring you data if you need to (use diskutility)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back