Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock X99 Extreme6
CPU
E5-2690 v4
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hey everyone,

This is an issue that I think will mostly affect people with laptops, because they are sometimes single channel machines, but I'm posting here to request some assistance investigating this problem. It seems that if your RAM is only connected to the B channel of the processor's memory controller, you may (will?) get a fast KP starting in OS X 10.11 kernels, with the message

Code:
zone_init: kmem_suballoc failed

displayed right away after the boot loader has started up the kernel. In other words, it's the first message the kernel spits out - depending on your BIOS, this could be followed by a restart or a hang (so it can be difficult to read the message: on my laptop there is no restart when in UEFI-only mode).

So anyway, it would be nice to get a couple people who have 10.11 installed (any beta version or the RC will do) to try booting with just a single DIMM installed, in one of the channel B slots. So far, from what I've found, there are reports of this problem occuring with a Sandy Bridge machine (https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/tickets/169/), and two Broadwell systems (myself and @TG12 with the latest Intel NUC). Maybe we can get a counterexample here. But, it may also be that El Capitan simply doesn't work in this configuration.

I have only tried Clover UEFI so far. Personally, I'm only interested in running UEFI systems anymore. I suppose, maybe Revoboot is another possibility?

Another question is, how common is it out there that a single channel laptop--many of the ultrabooks, for example--will have the DIMM connected to channel B instead of channel A? This might become something to watch out for in osx86 laptops.

Hey everyone,

This is an issue that I think will mostly affect people with laptops, because they are sometimes single channel machines, but I'm posting here to request some assistance investigating this problem. It seems that if your RAM is only connected to the B channel of the processor's memory controller, you may (will?) get a fast KP starting in OS X 10.11 kernels, with the message

Code:
zone_init: kmem_suballoc failed

displayed right away after the boot loader has started up the kernel. In other words, it's the first message the kernel spits out - depending on your BIOS, this could be followed by a restart or a hang (so it can be difficult to read the message: on my laptop there is no restart when in UEFI-only mode).

So anyway, it would be nice to get a couple people who have 10.11 installed (any beta version or the RC will do) to try booting with just a single DIMM installed, in one of the channel B slots. So far, from what I've found, there are reports of this problem occuring with a Sandy Bridge machine (https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/tickets/169/), and two Broadwell systems (myself and @TG12 with the latest Intel NUC). Maybe we can get a counterexample here. But, it may also be that El Capitan simply doesn't work in this configuration.

I have only tried Clover UEFI so far. Personally, I'm only interested in running UEFI systems anymore. I suppose, maybe Revoboot is another possibility?

Another question is, how common is it out there that a single channel laptop--many of the ultrabooks, for example--will have the DIMM connected to channel B instead of channel A? This might become something to watch out for in osx86 laptops.

If you're using Clover, are you using OsxAptioFixDrv? You may need to install this to get it working, and if that doesn't work, try OsxAptioFixDrv2 ... Also try running OSX w/o the memory in channel B and see if that helps (if you can remove it):think:

EDIT: Also, if you found a problem like this on the clover ticket site, it may be a bug and you might have to wait for the latest release of Clover..

If you're using Clover, are you using OsxAptioFixDrv? You may need to install this to get it working, and if that doesn't work, try OsxAptioFixDrv2 ... Also try running OSX w/o the memory in channel B and see if that helps (if you can remove it):think:

EDIT: Also, if you found a problem like this on the clover ticket site, it may be a bug and you might have to wait for the latest release of Clover..

Yes, I have been keeping up with the latest Clover developments, and have tried many versions of OsxAptioFixDrv. Same behavior with all of them. On my system, OsxAptioFixDrv2 hangs in both 10.10 and 10.11.

My laptop is currently busted, because I tried to hack the BIOS to reassign the single DIMM slot to channel A. Bad idea. So I won't be able to do any testing for a while. Hopefully, I can get it fixed eventually!

If anyone wants to help out with a test like I described, we can learn more about the issue, I think. It's much appreciated!

update: Thankfully, I got my system working again using a more thorough CMOS reset. For the topic of getting OS X 10.11 working on channel B systems, suggest for now right over here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/172560-lenovo-s41-10-11-el-capitan.html

I'm having this problem with a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H rev 1.1, with a Xeon E3-1275V2

I'm having this problem with a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H rev 1.1, with a Xeon E3-1275V2

Thanks for the report. And does it goes away with the RAM in a channel A slot?

I've figured out the solution to this problem! You just have to fill out the "Memory" key in the SMBIOS section of Clover's config.plist and it works fine. For me it looks like this:

Code:
                <key>Memory</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>Channels</key>
                        <integer>1</integer>
                        <key>SlotCount</key>
                        <integer>1</integer>
                        <key>Modules</key>
                        <array>
                                <dict>
                                        <key>Slot</key>
                                        <integer>0</integer>
                                        <key>Size</key>
                                        <integer>16384</integer>
                                        <key>Frequency</key>
                                        <integer>1600</integer>
                                        <key>Type</key>
                                        <string>DDR3</string>
                                </dict>
                        </array>
                </dict>

Otherwise, I used the standard installer-stage config.plist for my graphics hardware.

I've figured out the solution to this problem! You just have to fill out the "Memory" key in the SMBIOS section of Clover's config.plist and it works fine. For me it looks like this:

Code:
                <key>Memory</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>Channels</key>
                        <integer>1</integer>
                        <key>SlotCount</key>
                        <integer>1</integer>
                        <key>Modules</key>
                        <array>
                                <dict>
                                        <key>Slot</key>
                                        <integer>0</integer>
                                        <key>Size</key>
                                        <integer>16384</integer>
                                        <key>Frequency</key>
                                        <integer>1600</integer>
                                        <key>Type</key>
                                        <string>DDR3</string>
                                </dict>
                        </array>
                </dict>

Otherwise, I used the standard installer-stage config.plist for my graphics hardware.

you are brilliant !
I had a problem with ram and El Capitan see this topic :http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...os-x-el-capitan-x58a-ud3r-11.html#post1118167
Your solution resolve my problem but I have six slots of memory and I've written my config.plist like this :
<key>Memory</key>
<dict>
<key>Channels</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>SlotCount</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>Modules</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>3</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
</array>

</dict>

Everything is working but in About this mac the tab memory says there is no slots of memory ( see attachments )
Maybe I wrote config in a wrong way. What do you think about ?
Thanks for your genial idea

Attachments

• about this mac.png
    about this mac.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 683
  • activity monitor.png
    activity monitor.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 628
  • ram.png
    ram.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 613
I'm glad it helped! Your config looks good, although in your case you may want 'Channels' equal to 3. I think that comes into play (at least regarding display of the info) when there's more than one slot.

you are brilliant !
I had a problem with ram and El Capitan see this topic :http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...os-x-el-capitan-x58a-ud3r-11.html#post1118167
Your solution resolve my problem but I have six slots of memory and I've written my config.plist like this :
<key>Memory</key>
<dict>
<key>Channels</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>SlotCount</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>Modules</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>3</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Slot</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>Size</key>
<integer>4096</integer>
<key>Frequency</key>
<integer>1333</integer>
<key>Type</key>
<string>DDR3</string>
</dict>
</array>

</dict>

Everything is working but in About this mac the tab memory says there is no slots of memory ( see attachments )
Maybe I wrote config in a wrong way. What do you think about ?
Thanks for your genial idea
Hi, could you upload latest config.plist?
I have the same configuration as yours MSI X58 Pro-E + Core i7-930

Hi kylec,
I think I have the very same problem! I'm trying to install El Capitan on an HP notebook (model 15-ac191nl, i5 5200 @2.2GHz, HD 1TB, 8Gbyte RAM, Radeon M330), I was not able (the installer crashes). I installed linux instead and, from what I see from acpi tools, I've probably the same channel B problem.

I'd like to give a try to your solution, but I have a very stupid question: how can I replace the (manually edited) config.plist in my USB boot stick? Where is the EFI/ directory located, and all the support files? I've created the USB boot stick with the standard clover installer, I can see just the HFS+ partition containing the El Capitan installer... Are the support files contained in the PBR? Or in some invisible partitions? And how can I mount them in order to manually modify/edit the config.plist?

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back