ASUS Z170-PRO
CPU
Skylake i7 6700k
Graphics
ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My Situation:
After updating to High Sierra 10.13.4 from Sierra, I keep running into a kernel panic on boot. I can still boot to macOS with safe boot, but no luck without the -x flag.

My limitations:
• I can't access my boot drive's EFI partition when in safe boot.
• What I can do is access my unibeast flash drive's EFI partition through my spare hackintosh.

What I've done/tried with no success:
• Updated to the latest nVidia web driver (the one for 10.13.4).
• Updated Lilu.kext.
• Booting with webdrivers and then with VESA drivers, made no difference.
• Booted with iGFX, get a black screen after BIOS, can't get into clover.

Kernel Panic Details:
The kernel panic scrolls by at light speed. I was able to record it in slow motion with my iPhone, and enhance it with Premiere, although it's still a bit blurry.

A million thanks to anyone willing to help! Let me know if you need any other details.

-----------------------------------
SPECS
-----------------------------------
Processor: i7 6700k
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-Pro
GPU: ASUS GTX 1080Ti

Out of date Lilu.kext.

Lilu.png

On my flash drive's EFI Partition:
• So I checked Lilu.kext's package contents and opened info.plist with text edit. From what I could tell it was the latest version of Lilu which is 1.2.3
• Just in case I re-downloaded it from
https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases here and replaced it. I got the same kernel panic.

On my SSDs EFI Partition:
• I got an idea, and ghetto rigged my SSD to my working hackintosh. Erika, I was able to access its EFI partition. When I checked the Lilu.kext info there, instead of being 1.2.3 it was 1.0.0.

• I replaced that Lilu.kext 1.0.0 with 1.2.3 and... same kernel panic when attempting to boot off the SSD's clover.
(Although what I did discover is that with totally different hardware I was still able to boot into macOS in safemode on my working hackintosh which has integrated graphics, and no GPU.)

Discoveries:
• I'm fairly convinced Lilu.kext is not the culprit.
(I have a theory it shows up as 1.1.6 in verbose mode, but is still 1.2.3? Don't know for sure, just a guess.)

• I don't think the kernel panic is cause of a hardware incompatibility
(since it got the same kernel panic on two different machines, but was still able to boot in safe mode on both machines as well.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 1.00.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 1.00.05 PM.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 846
You have an old version in :
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ (or one of the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10. folders).
or /Library/Extensions/
or /System/Library/Extensions/
or cached.

Last edited:
or /Library/Extensions/
or cached.

Oh holy heck, you were right! So glad you thought of that. It turned out it was using the Lilu.kext from /Library/Extensions. I was able to boot on my working hackintosh without safeboot! Right now each time I start up my machine, i'm confronted with a "Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key or wait to continue." but at least I can get in without safe boot. I'll keep you updated with how it's going. Can't thank you enough!

or /Library/Extensions/
or cached.
Yup! Just hooked my SSD back up to my main hackintosh... and it works perfectly! Even that "Computer restarted because of a problem" message went away. I'm so happy! Thanks a million!

Conclusion:
Lilu.kext was totally the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back