2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Alright, I'm trying to set up my new Kaby Lake build:

i5-7600k
Z270 Motherboard (ASRock Z270 Pro4)
Samsung 960 Evo nVME SSD x2 (one has Windows 10 installed on it, the second is blank and awaiting OS X :)
GTX 980

I created my USB stick with UniBeast and a fresh copy of OS X from the Mac App Store. I think it's 10.12.4, but I'm not 100% sure - is there a way to check?

I configured the BIOS according to the recommended settings, enabled nVidia graphics, everything else was fairly default. I also entered the Kaby Lake CPU ID into config.plist.

I was going to use RehabMan's nVME patcher but sadly my Mac mini running 10.12 just kicked the bucket so I had to go with the config.plist KextsToPatch method (at least for installation). Unfortunately, my boot process freezes at the point pictured in the attached image. If I let it sit for 30 seconds, eventually I get the prohibited sign, and the screen text corrupts a bit. Once that happens "Still waiting for root device" appears in the background.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Photo 2017-04-04, 9 37 06 PM.jpg
    Photo 2017-04-04, 9 37 06 PM.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Alright, I'm trying to set up my new Kaby Lake build:

i5-7600k
Z270 Motherboard (ASRock Z270 Pro4)
Samsung 960 Evo nVME SSD x2 (one has Windows 10 installed it, the second is blank and awaiting OS X :)
GTX 980

I created my USB stick with UniBeast and a fresh copy of OS X from the Mac App Store. I think it's 10.12.4, but I'm not 100% sure - is there a way to check?

I configured the BIOS according to the recommended settings, enabled nVidia graphics, everything else was fairly default. I also entered the Kaby Lake CPU ID into config.plist.

I was going to use RehabMan's nVME patcher but sadly my Mac mini running 10.12 just kicked the bucket so I had to go with the config.plist KextsToPatch method (at least for installation). Unfortunately, my boot process freezes at the point pictured in the attached image. If I let it sit for 30 seconds, eventually I get the prohibited sign, and the screen text corrupts a bit. Once that happens "Still waiting for root device" appears in the background.

Any thoughts?

Since you're booting from USB... it is a USB problem.
Make sure you're using a USB2 stick.

Since you're booting from USB... it is a USB problem.
Make sure you're using a USB2 stick.

Ah wow I had read that disabling USB3 in BIOS can help things but I couldn't find that option. I guess using a USB2 stick would solve that issue. I will try that once I find one, thanks.

I ended up getting a USB2 stick and installing to the 960 evo successfully. Now begins the fun part of figuring out all the kexts!

• I started by installing Clover, and IntelMausiEthernet 2.2 to get Ethernet going (Ethernet works fine, not Clover though).
  • Still cannot boot directly from the installation drive, have to use USB
  • I downloaded the latest Nvidia Web Driver from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...ver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-03272017/ but it does not seem to work automatically upon reboot (tried with web driver on and off in clover)
  • Need to investigate which audio codec to use (actually optional since I plan to use nvidia audio mostly, does this work?)
  • Need to install patched nVME kext

One question: How do I mount the EFI partition to modify config.plist?

Last edited:
You can use Clover Configurator (Vibrant Edition) to mount your EFI partition and modify your config.plist, or you can use EFI Mounter v3 to mount your EFI partition, and a Plist Editor such as the editor included with XCode or commercial software such as Plist Edit Pro to edit your config.plist

Thanks. I was able to get the system to boot from the SSD.

However, I still can't Nvidia Web Drivers to work. I tried tip #6 in this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/ but now my screen goes black 75% through the boot process. (I can still boot by disabling nvidia web drivers in Clover)

Have you ever had this issue?

What video connection?
I had problem with DP, switching to HDMI solved the problem.
Not sure why or how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back