Contribute
Register

[solved] Just finished a fresh install on new 4540s and have a couple questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP ProBook 4540s (Chameleon)
CPU
i5 3210M/HM76
Graphics
HD4000, 1366x768
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Today I ended up purchasing this exact computer:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/403254/ProBook_4540s_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Brushed_Aluminum

The install went very clean, other than I had to do the "advanced/4k" hard drive thing, but that was straight forward and looked like a charm. Oh and I can't boot to the OSX HDD without doing -f, but I will figure that out later I think it's just rebuilding the cache, just haven't done that as I'm moving all my stuff over from my 10.6.8 installation via a time machine backup right now.

So I have a couple questions:

1. How do I figure out exactly what wifi card is in here, so I can know if I have to buy another one, or if I got lucky with the one in here?

2. I swear after I ran the HP Probook Installer, and rebooted, my color/brightness is all messed up. It looked better before I rebooted after that installation, unless i'm just going crazy. It looks pretty washed out now and not as crisp. Is this common or did I jack something up?

Well that is it for now, thanks.

Just finished a fresh install on new 4540s and have a couple questions...

Today I ended up purchasing this exact computer:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/403254/ProBook_4540s_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Brushed_Aluminum

The install went very clean, other than I had to do the "advanced/4k" hard drive thing, but that was straight forward and looked like a charm. Oh and I can't boot to the OSX HDD without doing -f, but I will figure that out later I think it's just rebuilding the cache, just haven't done that as I'm moving all my stuff over from my 10.6.8 installation via a time machine backup right now.

So I have a couple questions:

1. How do I figure out exactly what wifi card is in here, so I can know if I have to buy another one, or if I got lucky with the one in here?

2. I swear after I ran the HP Probook Installer, and rebooted, my color/brightness is all messed up. It looked better before I rebooted after that installation, unless i'm just going crazy. It looks pretty washed out now and not as crisp. Is this common or did I jack something up?

Well that is it for now, thanks.

@1: Apple menu > About this Mac > System information, then either under USB or PCI (or so, answer from memory)

@2: Under System Preferences > Disply > Color select the best matching color profile. Or better: create your own ("calibrate" the display). If you have a color perception issue (e.g. red-green weakness/blindness) let someone else do that and try the result. Also, the ProbokInstaller offers some preliminary color profiles to install.

And do the caches and for sure repair permissions asap.

dg

Okay thanks. I did notice that the color profiles were there and some looked better than the default ones. I tried the calibrate thing but I didn't like the results.

As far as building the cache, that is simply running Kext Utility and letting it do it's thing, right?

Okay thanks. I did notice that the color profiles were there and some looked better than the default ones. I tried the calibrate thing but I didn't like the results.

As far as building the cache, that is simply running Kext Utility and letting it do it's thing, right?

Kext Wizard. Onyx can do that too, and is a versatile tool in general.

Okay thanks. I saw the Kext Wizard application on the HP Probook installer as an extra. I will mess around with that.

Last night after I got it up and running, I tried to transfer my backup from my 10.6.8 install via the Migration Assistant, and it hung up with 1 minute remaining, for at least an hour, so I quit out of it. It ended up removing my admin user (since it was replacing the admin user account) and now I only have a standard account on there. So I can't try to migrate it over again or add any admin user. So I'm going to have to do a clean install again tonight lol.

Okay thanks. I saw the Kext Wizard application on the HP Probook installer as an extra. I will mess around with that.

Last night after I got it up and running, I tried to transfer my backup from my 10.6.8 install via the Migration Assistant, and it hung up with 1 minute remaining, for at least an hour, so I quit out of it. It ended up removing my admin user (since it was replacing the admin user account) and now I only have a standard account on there. So I can't try to migrate it over again or add any admin user. So I'm going to have to do a clean install again tonight lol.

Migration Assistant should be avoided. It causes all kinds of issues...

Migration Assistant should be avoided. It causes all kinds of issues...

Well I tried to first load up the data from the fresh OSX installation, when you first boot it up. And I had the same result where it hung up. So I turned off the computer, rebooted it back up, and it acted as if I had never copied anything over. So I just went on and then tried later on with Migration Assistant.

Apparently this is a pretty known issue after some googling. I did do a repair on the drive in disk utility, which was something recommended by someone who fixed their issue. So this time when I do a fresh install, I'm going to JUST move over the users and settings.

Then if that works I will try to move the applications and documents with Migration Assistant afterwards and see what happens.

Then hopefully I can install Win7 to the other partition lol.

So another question as I'm getting this up, in regards to the wi-fi card.

In my Bluetooth USB Host Controller it has product code 311d, vendor 0cf3.

How do I know exactly which Atheros card this is? Even with my googling I'm not having any luck.

EDIT:

I have another question. I installed Win7 on another partition, and it boots up fine. I installed it first, then OSX afterwards.

I've installed Chimera, twice now, to OSX. When I boot without the USB drive in, it simply goes right to Windows and I never see the boot screen to select which OS I want to load up.

Any idea what could have caused this?

So another question as I'm getting this up, in regards to the wi-fi card.

When you first boot the laptop press F1 to display System Information, look at the bottom for line called WLAN FCC ID
or
open the back cover and physically look at the mini PCIe card.

Google the numbers.

When you first boot the laptop press F1 to display System Information, look at the bottom for line called WLAN FCC ID
or
open the back cover and physically look at the mini PCIe card.

Google the numbers.

OK thanks. I just did that and looks like I have the Atheros AR5B255. Looks like it has the AR9485 chip in it. Is that one compatible or no?

I have another question too, other than the one as to why it won't boot up from the HDD directly.

When it is booting up, the screen looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/0yzp3Y5.jpg

Sorry for the dark picture, but as you can see the image is only showing on like 75% of the screen and it's squished. It is fine once it gets into OSX though.

Any ideas how to fix that too?

EDIT:

I also just noticed when I shut the screen, then open it back up, that the screen stays black and I can't get the display to come back on. Is there a way to fix this or is this just one of the quirks of this laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back