Graphics
onboard
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Since yesterday I've been having a very weird problem. When I open certain applications or webpages my hackintosh reboots instantly. The funny thing is that everything used to work fine and the issues started even though I didn't install any updates for OSX, Clover or the Nvidia Web Drivers...

The issue is reproducible. For instance, if I open Facebook and scroll down to the first video it will trigger a reboot. Similarly a reboot will happen if open specific content on ******. I can trigger a reboot using any browser, so it's not software specific. This makes me suspect that it's a graphics issue but I'm not sure so that's why I'm posting here. However, other applications that use the GPU intensively seem to work fine (e.g. I can launch and play Starcraft 2 for hours).

Things I have tried to fix the issue (nothing helped):
- Updated OSX to the latest version (10.12.6)
- Updated the Nvidia Web Driver (I have a Geforce 760)
- Updated Clover to latest version
- Disabled the Nvidia Web Driver and tried native drivers
- I can not reproduce the issue in Windows, so I don't think it's a hardware issue
- I checked the system logs but couldn't really find anything special before the crash occurs

Nothing has helped... I'm running out of ideas. I'm baffled because as far as I know nothing significant changed when the problems started. Anyone ever had similar problems?

Of course I had to find a solution minutes after starting this thread...
I will leave it here in case anyone else has a similar issue.

I did two things, rebooted, and it was fixed. However, I'm not sure which of the two was the solution, so I'm posting both:

1. I manually deleted all cache files from the system:
    • sudo rm -r ~/Library/Caches (delete user-specific cache files)
    • sudo rm -r /Library/Caches (delete system-wide cache files)
  2. I did a "cancel hibernate wake" in the Clover boot menu. This doesn't make too much sense as a solution since my system wasn't in a hibernated state, but you never know. Maybe it also clears some files that might have gotten corrupted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back