Contribute
Register

[solved] Installing macOS Sierra on Kaby Lake (HD620)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 15 5567 (Clover EFI)
CPU
Intel Core i3-7100u
Graphics
Intel HD 620, 1366 x 768
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
Hi,
I have recently bought a brand-new Dell Inspiron 15 5567 (i3-7100u with HD620) notebook, and trying to install macOS Sierra ever since. But some study (basically this guide from @RehabMan and this thread), I was able to install 10.12.5 (on a external HDD for testing purposes). But following things are currently not working:
  1. QE/CI (as you will see in the screenshots, it says `display 4mb`)
  2. Touchpad is working, but the touchpad.prefpane says no touchpad is detected, RehabMan's ioio can be used.
  3. Battery isn't detected: perhaps need further study
  4. Wireless: need to replace
  5. Sound: supported, but not yet implemented
  6. Ethernet: Install RealtekRTL8100.kext
So, basically, my current problem is the QE/CI problem. But quick solution to other problems will surely help me.

The attachment contains Clover, ioreg, pci list and some screenshots.

Solutions:
1. QE/CI: Solved by enabling the minStolenSize patch alternative to the minStolenSize patch, uncommenting the #AddProperties located in the config.plist, and then first boot with an invalid ig-platform-id (i.e.. 0x12345678) and then boot again with the real ig-platform-id.
[Note: Instead of booting with an invalid ig-platform-id, IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext can be used]
[Note 2: After 10.12.6, KabyLake is natively supported, so KernelAndKextPatches/FakeCPUID and FakeID/IntelGFX are to be disabled or removed, instead use of one the ig-platform-id with corresponding kext patches (at KextsToPatch) located here]
2. Touchpad: I'm working on it, currently using RehabMan's ioio for enabling certain features (e.g. Running `ohio Clicking 1` will enable touch to click, and if you're like me, you'll make an startup daemon out of this.)
[Note: This is a I2C trackpad, so normal procedure (ie. simply installing VoodooPS2Controller.kext) won't enable the trackpad prefpane, see here for more info.]
[Note 2: For some weird reason, trackpad.prefpane is detected my touchpad again! (This has been a funny day!)]
3. Battery: Installed ACPIBatteryManager.kext
4. Wireless: Need to replace (didn't found a suitable half-mini PCIe card because of weird size)
5. Sound: See here (also, this thread, specially this post for more info)
6. Ethernet: Installed RealtekRTL8100.kext
7. Backlight: Followed this guide. Be sure to set config.plist/Graphics/InjectEDID=true

Or, a brief guide.

Attachments

• MBA6,2_06.02.17.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 613
Last edited:

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I have recently bought a brand-new Dell Inspiron 15 5567 (i3-7100u with HD620) notebook, and trying to install macOS Sierra ever since. But some study (basically this guide from @RehabMan and this thread), I was able to install 10.12.5 (on a external HDD for testing purposes). But following things are currently not working:
  • QE/CI (as you will see in the screenshots, it says `display 4mb`)
  • Touchpad is working, but the touchpad.prefpane says no touchpad is detected
  • Battery isn't detected: perhaps need further study
  • Wireless: need to replace
  • Sound: supported, but not yet implemented
  • Ethernet: need to install RealtekRTL8100.kext
So, basically, my current problem is the QE/CI problem. But quick solution to other problems will surely help me.

The attachment contains Clover, ioreg, pci list and some screenshots.

Seems like you booted without intel injection. You cannot expect working graphics without it.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i3-7100u
Graphics
Intel HD 620, 1366 x 768
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
Seems like you booted without intel injection. You cannot expect working graphics without it.

You mean that I should uncomment the Devices -> #AddProperties in the config.plist?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You mean that I should uncomment the Devices -> #AddProperties in the config.plist?

No. I mean you must insure you boot with config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=true. And don't uncheck it in the Clover GUI.
Because without that, none of the settings in Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX or Graphics/ig-platform-id have any effect.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i3-7100u
Graphics
Intel HD 620, 1366 x 768
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
No. I mean you must insure you boot with config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=true. And don't uncheck it in the Clover GUI.
Because without that, none of the settings in Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX or Graphics/ig-platform-id have any effect.
Oh, I think I have already done it, but without any luck:
Djc3uSo.png

Another thing that I forgot to tell you earlier that I had to select `Inject EFI Strings` in order to boot (otherwise it gives a AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer panic). I don't know if it has anything to do with it. Btw, my DVMT preloaded memory is 128mb (stated by Windows 10). I don't know if I need to change it (I don't have an option for this in BIOS).

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Oh, I think I have already done it, but without any luck:
Djc3uSo.png

Another thing that I forgot to tell you earlier that I had to select `Inject EFI Strings`

That option disables Inject/Intel.

in order to boot (otherwise it gives a AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer panic).

Likely panic due to incorrectly set DVMT-prealloc.
It is covered in the guide...

I don't know if it has anything to do with it. Btw, my DVMT preloaded memory is 128mb (stated by Windows 10).

You clearly didn't read the guide...
IMPORTANT!: Contrary to many of the guides you will read, Windows is NOT a valid way to determine what DVMT-prealloc is set to. There is no correlation, especially with Windows 10.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i3-7100u
Graphics
Intel HD 620, 1366 x 768
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
You clearly didn't read the guide...

I don't know if VRAM is the same as DVMT prealloc (VRAM is set to 64mb in BIOS and there's no option to change it). I did read the guide, the alternative to DVMT prealloc is, you said, is minStolenSize patch, which is included in the config.plist you have provided but disabled by default. I've tried enabling them, but without any luck.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I don't know if VRAM is the same as DVMT prealloc (VRAM is set to 64mb in BIOS and there's no option to change it). I did read the guide, the alternative to DVMT prealloc is, you said, is minStolenSize patch, which is included in the config.plist you have provided but disabled by default. I've tried enabling them, but without any luck.

VRAM is not the same.
If you're getting panic, DVMT-prealloc is probably 32mb (it is typical with Dell KabyLake so far).
Read the guide... it is possible to patch the framebuffer to accommodate 32mb. In fact, the patch is already present in the plists provided, you just need to enable it properly (boot with invalid ig-platform-id, rebuild caches, reboot).

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i3-7100u
Graphics
Intel HD 620, 1366 x 768
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
In fact, the patch is already present in the plists provided, you just need to enable it properly (boot with invalid ig-platform-id, rebuild caches, reboot).
I've tried with 0x00000000 before, which resulted in a kernel panic like the above one. Now, I've tried 0x12345678, it has booted but glitch still presents. I've also reinstalled macOS (10.12.1). The file bellow contains ioreg and config.plist file.
Do you have any suggestions?

Attachments

• MBA6,2_06.02.2017_2.zip
    531.2 KB · Views: 124

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've tried with 0x00000000 before, which resulted in a kernel panic like the above one.

As you should expect. Using zero results in the system using a default (which is not invalid).

Now, I've tried 0x12345678, it has booted but glitch still presents. I've also reinstalled macOS (10.12.1). The file bellow contains ioreg and config.plist file.
Do you have any suggestions?

You should not expect perfect graphics when using an invalid ig-platform-id.
The purpose of the invalid id is only to allow you to boot so you can rebuild caches.

Status
Not open for further replies.