i3-2310M
Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello tonymac!
I recently had some bad luck with my first build (was sandy bridge) and I had to pull the trigger on some new hardware.
For my new build I chose a smbios of 18,2 on clover configurator because it most closely matches my new machine.
I have gone through the iMessage for iDiots guide and even read over the full guide many times, and have had no luck with iMessage.
Absolutely every time I get the please call message with a customer code.
(I even called apple and the senior rep couldn't fathom why I was still getting the message after they "activated" and wanted to forward the issue to software engineers)
On my last build I used ROM and MLB from my real MacBook and had iMessage working, but people seem pretty confident that it can be done using CC generated values. Can anybody give me some insight as to why I can't get it to work?? Is it that the serials I have tried are all blacklisted? is there another way to generate a serial?
One thing I have noticed is there is no shake week and whatever in CC anymore and I'm not sure how the serials are generated.
If I switch smbios to the same values as my last build will iMessage work and what will I loose (like turbo freq?)
TIA
funkthew0rld.

I use imac 18,2 as my smbios and my imessage works fine. did u look into emulating nvram? or does your mobo support native nvram? I remember I couldn't get it to work at first and I had to enable emulated nvram. switched to native nvram when I found out it would work

One thing I have noticed is there is no shake week and whatever in CC anymore and I'm not sure how the serials are generated.
Make sure you use the latest version of CC (currently 4.60.3.0)
Use the Generate New button to generate new serials.

sn.png

Since you have a new build I would NOT use those older smbios numbers again.

Go to the (In)Famous iMessage thread How to Fix iMessage

Or try the shorter An iDiot's Guide To iMessage

There are numerous issues covered in those two threads that will help you. Try one, check, rinse and repeat until it works out!

I got iMessage to work on my build by using the MLB and ROM fields under RtVariables and filling them with the variables from my REAL MacBook 5,1. The MLB is too short for a newer Mac and according to most guides this will result in a non working iMessage setup. But it worked for me, so its how I will run it for now. Thanks to the people who posted tips for me to try. Ill go and get a ssd for this this thing and forget about windoze.

Last edited:
The problem with using info from a real Mac is when you go to sell your Mac later on. You will have many issues that you might not be able to resolve. If you plan on junking it then you are probably ok as long as the real Mac info somewhat matches the hardware you are using. If you have a old slow Mac but are using it on a new fast Hack you might run in to problems with smbios mismatch and not be able to use all the available options.
This is not a recommended way to go.

The problem with using info from a real Mac is when you go to sell your Mac later on. You will have many issues that you might not be able to resolve. If you plan on junking it then you are probably ok as long as the real Mac info somewhat matches the hardware you are using. If you have a old slow Mac but are using it on a new fast Hack you might run in to problems with smbios mismatch and not be able to use all the available options.
This is not a recommended way to go.
I was reluctant to use it because my machine is quite dated, its the c2d MacBook unibody from 2008 and like I said it has too short of a MLB but its working for now so thats how I will leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back