i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I am having a strange problem during the fresh installation Catalina 10.15.4.
"An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

IMG_8211.jpeg

My build is:
CPU: i9-9900k
MTB: ASUS ROG Maximus XI HERO Z390
Memory: Corsair Vengeance PRO 64 GB
Graphic Card: Sapphire RX 5700 XT OC
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
I have made couple of Hackintoshes before but this is my first build with RX 5700 XT.

Steps I have taken:
1. Use command "sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB" to create a new USB installation disk. And then copied EFI folders over to EFI partition

2. Change my BIOS setting
Load Optimized Defaults
Enable USB Hand Off
Disable VT-d

2. Use USB stick to boot up the computer and choose Clover option "Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina"

3. Add "agdpmod=pikera" to clover boot options

4. Boot into macOS Recovery Page

5. Choose Disk Utility to format my Samsung SSD as "Macintosh HD" with APFS file format and GUID partition scheme.

6. Then choose Install macOS Catalina, select HDD, then see the installation progress bar

Here's the furthest I can go. When my installation progress bar has 2 mins left, I see a screen with error says:
"An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

I've tried below to mitigate:
Terminal command to sync the timestamp trick as most google search result indicated. Doesn't work, same result.
Download Catalina installation image again and redo the USB Stick in case the image was corrupt. Doesn't work, same result.
Double check Samsung 970 EVO on the latest firmware. Checked and I actually also switched from 970 EVO plus to 970 EVO. Doesn't work, same result.
Check and and boot from each 16GB memory stick individually. Doesn't work, same result.

I am also trying some other people's EFI folder but no luck so far. Can someone please take a look my EFI folder and tell me if you have run into this problem before?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• i9900k Asus Z390 + RX 5700 XT.zip
    17.3 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
After couple of tries. Found out that Catalina 10.15.4 requires working NVRAM.
I applied SSDT-PMC.aml and switiching from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC, finally got the new Hackintosh up and running.

Attaching my latest EFI

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 172
Good day everyone! I have the same issue reported on this thread...
At this moment, I'm going to try the 'tweaks' posted here. I will reply after a try and if I'm still not successful, I will post my EFI folder in order to get proper help. See you guys in a moment. Thanks in advance!

SUCCESS!!! Thank you very much for the posted details. Cheers!

Challenge for you change it to OpenCore boot loader

@foster, thanks for your reply in another thread. I've followed your guidance and went through the OC gitbooks. the ACPI part is indeed quite challenging, I guess I am going to spend a bit more time on reading and practicing/experimenting.

Anyway, that's all the fun of building a Hackintosh isn't it?

I suspect with a couple tweeks of my efi mainly the agp...=pikera and SMBIOS settings you be up and running
I use Mac Pro 2019 setting - OC configurator i use it to generate my numbers for Mac Pro 7,1 it might break my config.plist so I don’t use it to edit yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back