Contribute
Register

[Solved] i7 4770k to i7 4790k - What changes are necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
I wanted to replace the i7 4770k cpu with an i7 4790k cpu. RAM will also get upgraded from 2x8GB DDR3 to 4x8GB DDR3 (Both Corsair RAM sticks). Everything else will stay the same, i.e. PSU, SSD & Mobo (Gigabyte Z87M D3H). What do I need to change inside my config.plist to make this transition?

I've attached my current EFI folder which works for the current configuration.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    35.8 MB · Views: 250
Last edited:
I wanted to replace the i7 4770k cpu with an i7 4790k cpu. What do I need to change inside my config.plist to make this transition?

@Lumberjack88,

Since your replacing the CPU with one of the same generation its really just a bump in CPU speed, as such there should be no need to change anything.

Having looked at your EFI I don't see a SSDT for Intel SpeedStep and your not using Clover to generate P and C states.

For i7 4790K I recommend you install the SSDT-XCPM hot patch :-

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/hotpatch/SSDT-XCPM.dsl

Which will enable the X86PluginType 1 ..
Recommend SMBIOS iMac15,1 which is what i use on my Haswell i7 4790K Hack and works very well.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Lumberjack88,

Since your replacing the CPU with one of the same generation its really just a bump in CPU speed, as such there should be no need to change anything.

Having looked at your EFI I don't see a SSDT for Intel SpeedStep and your not using Clover to generate P and C states.

i7 4790K supports HWP so I recommend you install the SSDT-XCPM hot patch :-

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/hotpatch/SSDT-XCPM.dsl

Which will enable the X86PluginType 1 for HWP ..
Recommend SMBIOS iMac15,1 which is what i use on my Haswell i7 4790K Hack and works very well.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for your response!

Where can I find the SpeedStep SSDT and how do i generate P and C states with clover (configurator?)?

In order to use both SSDTs, can I just enable Drop OEM inside clover configurator?

If I place these SSDTs (XCPM and Intel SpeedStep) in the ACPI/patched folder and if I generate P and C states, will the current 4770k still work? Just in case I'd need to power it up again...

@Lumberjack88,

As I stated in my last post you can use SSDT-XCPM to enable the X86Plugin Type 1 .... which gives slighter better performance than using a SSDT for C & P states (or using Clover to Generate them) on my i7 4790K system.

Just copy the code from the link i posted into MaciASL, compile it as SSDT-XCPM.asl and save in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched
Or download pre-compiled version direct from Toleda's Repo, extract and copy to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Lumberjack88,

As I stated in my last post you can use SSDT-XCPM to enable the X86Plugin Type 1 .... which gives slighter better performance than using a SSDT for C & P states (or using Clover to Generate them) on my i7 4790K system.

Just copy the code from the link i posted into MaciASL, compile it as SSDT-XCPM.asl and save in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched
Or download pre-compiled version direct from Toleda's Repo, extract and copy to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

Cheers
Jay

I downloaded the pre-compiled version and put it inside the acpi/patched folder. I've then changed the SMBIOS to iMac15,1, removed the apfs.efi and replaced it with apfsdriverloader.efi and I also updated the Clover bootloader to the most recent version. The system worked flawlessly (still on the 4770k build).

Now that I changed the RAM from from Kingston Hyper Fury X 2x8GB to Corsair Dominator 4x8GB and the CPU from 4770k to 4790k, I'm not able to boot the system. My Gigabyte Z87M D3H mobo with Firmware 9 (supports "latest" 4th gen Intel CPUs) recognizes both the RAM and CPU correctly (the BIOS settings were left unaltered, no XMP, overclocking etc.), but I always get a panic report during the boot process, even in safe mode.

Here's the boot report during normal startup:

oqz8ECt.jpg

I get a very similar report during the safe boot, too.

Why isn't it booting correctly? I didn't think that moving on from a 4770k to a 4790k would be such a big deal. Is it because of the internal GPU?

I solved this issue with a BIOS Firmware update to version 11. 4790k compatibility was only introduced after Version 10.

Thank you Jay for the help you provided!

@Lumberjack88,

I was going to suggest a BIOS update .... but you beat me to it .. :)

My ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 Motherboard got an unexpected BIOS update which included updated Intel ME code for Haswell CPU's in mid 2018 since then I've been able to overclock my i7 4790K to 4.8Ghz. I only increased the Clock multiplier I did not play with any voltage settings ... I also used the BIOS options to use tighter memory timings again with out adjusting any voltages (Corsair Vengeance 2400 RAM).

Before the BIOS update.
GeekBench 4 results ... Single Core Score: 5339 .. Multi Core Score: 17201.

After the BIOS Update and BIOS Tweaks.
GeekBench 4 results ... Single Core Score: 5805 .. Multi Core Score: 20338.

Link to latest GeekBench Score :-
http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11432082

Thats a 18% increase in Multi Core performance for free, CPU is completely stable and max CPU temp is around 65-70 degs C when running Geekbench CPU stress test or CinieBench CPU test, I'm using Corsair H2 240mm Dual Fan AIO with Thermal Grizzly Conductanaught thermal paste between it and the CPU which is not de-lidded.

Considering that the system is around 5 years old I think this is a pretty good score, I could probably push the CPU a bit further by playing with voltages and i'm sure i could hit a stable 5Ghz if i de-lidded the CPU but I'm quite happy with the way things are and over stressing CPU's can result in in reduced life.

Since you have Nvidia dGPU and using SMBIOS 15,1 ... I recommend a 'Headless PlatformID' of 0X412000B for the IGPU.
  • Enable IGPU in the BIOS
  • Set dGPU as Primary
  • Install Lilu & WhateverGreen
  • Use Clover to set the Device Property 'AAPL,ig-platfrom-id' to 0B001241
  • Use clover to set the Device Property 'device-id' to 12410000
  • Remove all clover IGPU options/flags in Clover 'Devices' and 'GPU' sections
See this guide for full details :-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Happy Hacking
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Lumberjack88,

I was going to suggest a BIOS update .... but you beat me to it .. :)

My ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 Motherboard got an unexpected BIOS update which included updated Intel ME code for Haswell CPU's in mid 2018 since then I've been able to overclock my i7 4790K to 4.8Ghz. I only increased the Clock multiplier I did not play with any voltage settings ... I also used the BIOS options to use tighter memory timings again with out adjusting any voltages (Corsair Vengeance 2400 RAM).

Before the BIOS update.
GeekBench 4 results ... Single Core Score: 5339 .. Multi Core Score: 17201.

After the BIOS Update and BIOS Tweaks.
GeekBench 4 results ... Single Core Score: 5805 .. Multi Core Score: 20338.

Link to latest GeekBench Score :-
http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11432082

Thats a 18% increase in Multi Core performance for free, CPU is completely stable and max CPU temp is around 65-70 degs C when running Geekbench CPU stress test or CinieBench CPU test, I'm using Corsair H2 240mm Dual Fan AIO with Thermal Grizzly Conductanaught thermal paste between it and the CPU which is not de-lidded.

I'm not sure if I should try any overclocking at all. I only use the stock Intel fan for the CPU and this GA motherboard is not exactly an overclocker's dream...I could try to bump the clock multiplier a bit and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that it reboots and resets the bios settings during a stress test... or would advise against it with stock coolers?

And no, I'm not using the Nvidia 780 Ti on this Z87M D3H system. I'm only relying on the integrated GPU (HD4600 I think)...

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I should try any overclocking at all. I only use the stock Intel fan for the CPU and this GA motherboard is not exactly an overclocker's dream

@Lumberjack88,

Hummm yes the Intel Stock cooler is known not work work particularly well on over clocked CPU's especially if your using the stock thermal compound that is already applied .. best to stick with stock settings for now.

I'm not using the Nvidia 780 Ti on this Z87M D3H system. I'm only relying on the integrated GPU (HD4600 I think)...

Ok .. sorry i must have missed read your specs in your profile ... my bad, in that case stick with the default HD4600 IGPU PlatformID.

Cheers
Jay

@Lumberjack88,

Ok .. sorry i must have missed read your specs in your profile ... my bad, in that case stick with the default HD4600 IGPU PlatformID.

Am I using the correct PlatformID for the HD4600 IGPU setup in the uploaded EFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back