Contribute
Register

[Solved?] i5-8400 on H310 M-ITX: Advices appreciated on First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same motherboard and thought I'd add my voice here.

I'm actually using a very similar M.2 adapter with the same (I assume) Airport card in it and while it does work perfectly (wifi/bt/handoff/airdrop) it doesn't really fit well since it conflicts with what looks like some kind of serial port connector (or USB2 perhaps). It isn't really possible to screw it in tightly but I haven't really had issues with it. I suppose you could "trim" the connector pins down a bit if you really wanted to.

Since Mojave I must say the iGPU works really well, I'm currently using 1440p HiDPI on a 4k screen which wasn't possible in High Sierra. HW Acceleration in IINA seems to work well too. IIRC the HDMI is only version 1.4, which makes it kind of useless to me, so I haven't tried it.

One problem I do have is the Audio though, it worked fine in High Sierra using AppleALC/Lilu but since Mojave I don't get any audio devices. I haven't updated to 10.14.1 and the newest version of AppleALC though so maybe that'll fix it. Meanwhile I'm using USB Audio.

Whats the audio situation like for the other people with this board?

So I am going to jump in here with a suggestion on cooling.... Try the thermaltake engine 17.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKCQVXB/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I am working on a new Mac Mini build of my own using a Mini STX board (ASrock deskmini 310 to be exact). Plan is to have everything fit into the mini housing like my last build. Last build had thermal issues and the engine 17 was not available then. My hope is that this would be a cheap and easy solution (compared to a custom heatpipe cooler) to get halfway decent thermals on a 35 watt CPU (or 65 watt with some power management settings). The STX board (which I would highly suggest compared to a thin mini itx board) should allow for a bit more freedom of positioning in the case. I also hope to fit the original mac mini internal 85 watt PSU. I should be creating a build thread soon once complete more R&D...

On the software side, how is the 310 chipset working for people? That is the only thing giving me pause since it seems to require a bit more hacking to get working properly as compared to H370.

So I am going to jump in here with a suggestion on cooling.... Try the thermaltake engine 17.

I am working on a new Mac Mini build of my own using a Mini STX board (ASrock deskmini 310 to be exact). Plan is to have everything fit into the mini housing like my last build. Last build had thermal issues and the engine 17 was not available then. My hope is that this would be a cheap and easy solution (compared to a custom heatpipe cooler) to get halfway decent thermals on a 35 watt CPU (or 65 watt with some power management settings). The STX board (which I would highly suggest compared to a thin mini itx board) should allow for a bit more freedom of positioning in the case. I also hope to fit the original mac mini internal 85 watt PSU. I should be creating a build thread soon once complete more R&D...

On the software side, how is the 310 chipset working for people? That is the only thing giving me pause since it seems to require a bit more hacking to get working properly as compared to H370.

I hate to contradict you but the Noctua NH-L9i is a superior cooler assuming you have 37mm of height to use it. I even used one on a 95w i7 without issue at stock speed with the upgrade 92x25mm fan for a total height of 48mm

Well, this is sinking, and I am not sure if I should start a new thread...

Anyways, now I think I will be settled on i5-8500, and I will try the build anyhow. The big question now becomes:

Is it worth that $50 to $60 to upgrade from an M.2 SATA SSD to an M.2 NVMe SSD?

BTW, I plan to install High Sierra (not that I have any other choices w/ Coffee Lake).
Huh... YES

I hate to contradict you but the Noctua NH-L9i is a superior cooler assuming you have 37mm of height to use it. I even used one on a 95w i7 without issue at stock speed with the upgrade 92x25mm fan for a total height of 48mm

I agree completely but when you are trying to fit into the spacious 25mm height that is the Mac Mini Unibody like the OP states then you do not have many options. At best you might be able to fit the Engine 27 depending on where the CPU socket lies. If the CPU socket is closer to the middle of the case then you could possibly get away with the engine 27 due to the bottom panel providing extra height.

Hi guys, would really love to hear if anyone makes (or has made) any progress with the H310 chipset graphics outputs. I’m running a ASrock H310m-itx with an i7-8700. I have pretty much everything functioning correctly. I haven’t replaced my WIFI m2 card with a compatible card yet, but the Bluetooth on this intel card (attached on the USB bus) is fully functioning, along with all my usb3.1 ports and audio (inc audio on dvi) Currently I have full graphics acceleration, but only have output on my DP port. I have tried a handful of framebuffer port patchings and none seem to have helped make my HDMI or DVI port work.

I just got a thermaltake engine 17 from Amazon. Before I clicked on buy, I did measure the space from the motherboard to the case and it is about 17.5mm to 18mm. Well, the heatsink alone on thermaltake engine 17 is 17.1mm and there are some space between cpu and motherboard. Therefore, it is too height to fit into the Mac mini. At the same time, the bracket on the motherboard backside is too thick. I should be able to replace the bracket with some M3 nuts with plastic washers. By the way, I use an aluminum tray I got from seller in Taobao. This tray has 3mm stands on 4 corners for motherboard and that will raise the motherboard for sure.

Hi,
I decided that I will try to build a medium-duty machine (no gaming/intensive job/OC) that can fit into a Mac Mini enclosure to replace my veteran mid-11 MBA. Let's not talk about Mac Mini enclosure for a while (cooling is rather hard XD) but the key components themselves.

I will use this computer mostly for browsing and office/school work, but since I have a bad habit of hoarding tabs, I would need a rather big RAM. Also, I do some music composing, light 3D designing, and drawing as hobbies.

I have found out that ASUS recently launched a new Thin Mini-ITX motherboard, namely the Prime H310T. I could have gone with an H110 or Q170 MoBo, but 1) I want to use a newer CPU (Coffee Lake or Kaby Lake), 2) it seems that it is the best to match up the gen. of CPU and the chipset, and 3) gigabyte's MFH27AI is just a lie—I SPEND TWO DAYS GOOGLING AND ALL I FOUND WERE EUROPEAN SELLERS WITH NO STOCKS (FRUSTRATION INTENSIFIES). So, on a budget of around $800 and a cap of $1k, the components I am thinking is as the following:
  • ASUS Prime H310T, w/ Realtek RTL8111H & ALC 887 and UEFI AMI BIOS: most likely about $100
  • i5-8500: $205
  • intel stock cooler
  • onboard intel UHD 630 graphics
  • DDR4-2666MHz SoDIMM (16G) x1 (since I am so frustrated with my MBA's 4G memory): $190~
  • 500G WD blue M.2 SATA SDD x1: $110
  • DW1830 wifi+BLE card: $30~
  • 18V 250W home-brew PSU (based on a high-power LED power supply): $50~
I will either buy a cheap ITX case before I take care of the cooling for my ambitious plan or just let the whole computer run exposed for a while (since everything is secured onto the MoBo itself, I should be fine...right?).

As the motherboard is so new it is only available on eBay from Israel, I assume that no one tested if it's Hackintosh-compatible; so, probably all we can do is to read the spec page and hope it would work.

So then...
  1. How much faster is NVMe SSDs versus SATA ones? Should I add that add'l $50 to $60 to upgrade to an NVMe instead?
  2. I saw seldom mentions of i5-8500, nor is it in the buyer's guide. Should I just go with it, step down to 8400, or step up to 8600K? Or, any other CPU recommendations?
  3. Do you guys think this plan would work? Will I have any hardware that might be incompatible for Hackintosh?
Thank you so much for the help!

(If it won't, I'll probably just build a Windows machine somehow...)
hi, did you have a success using the h310t?
im trying to install the mojave but all i have is the apple logo. cant get to the install screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back