Intel HD Graphics 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello
I recently bought an HP Probook 4540s, and I plan to dual boot it with Windows 8 and Mac OS X Mountain Lion. I've used my Macbook to buy Mountain Lion, and have successfully put it on my USB through Unibeast. But the problem arises when I try to boot it from the USB. I've changed the UEFI Boot Order in my BIOS several times, and put USB Hard Drive, Generic USB Drive, and CD drive top of the list, above my hard drive. But it continuously boots into Windows 8, and doesn't even recognise the USB.

I've tried VMWare, and it works. But virtualization is not what I am looking for. Any ideas of what I should do next?

MY laptop specs are:
RAM - 4 GB (extendable to 16 GB)
Processor - Intel i3-3110M dual core 2.48 GHz
OS - Windows 8 64 bit
Chipset- Mobile Intel® HM76 Express
Internal drive- SATA II (7200 rpm) 320 GB
Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 4000
Wireless- Ralink 802.11b/g/n

I know Mac OS X works great with a 4530s...but is it the same with a 4540s?

HP Probook 4540s boot up

Hello
I recently bought an HP Probook 4540s, and I plan to dual boot it with Windows 8 and Mac OS X Mountain Lion. I've used my Macbook to buy Mountain Lion, and have successfully put it on my USB through Unibeast. But the problem arises when I try to boot it from the USB. I've changed the UEFI Boot Order in my BIOS several times, and put USB Hard Drive, Generic USB Drive, and CD drive top of the list, above my hard drive. But it continuously boots into Windows 8, and doesn't even recognise the USB.

I've tried VMWare, and it works. But virtualization is not what I am looking for. Any ideas of what I should do next?

MY laptop specs are:
RAM - 4 GB (extendable to 16 GB)
Processor - Intel i3-3110M dual core 2.48 GHz
OS - Windows 8 64 bit
Chipset- Mobile Intel® HM76 Express
Internal drive- SATA II (7200 rpm) 320 GB
Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 4000
Wireless- Ralink 802.11b/g/n

I know Mac OS X works great with a 4530s...but is it the same with a 4540s?
There is no workable solution to boot our systems when using UEFI mode. Clover bootloader, the only game in town, works only to some degree.
Can switch your boot to legacy BIOS mode ?
Rehabman has a guide for multiOS including Windows8
http://racerrehabman.wordpress.com/

HP Probook 4540s boot up

Thanks for the reply.
I've found out how to boot into the USB. I switched off 'SecureBoot' in my BIOS, and I changed my boot to UEFI (with CSM). Legacy mode works as well.
But now, I face a different problem. I boot into the USb, select the USB from the bootloader, and typed '-v'. It boots up showing a few hundred lines, which were going pretty fast. But then, it just restarts, and boots into the default Windows 8 OS. I tried the normal mode, and it doesn't even show the Apple logo.

Regards

HP Probook 4540s boot up

I too am having this issue. Regardless of how I boot up Unibeast, the apple logo flashes real quickly and then the system reboots. If anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated. This is a 4540s as Well, using Legacy, All Wakes disabled, updated firmware on BIOS.

HP Probook 4540s boot up

I too am having this issue. Regardless of how I boot up Unibeast, the apple logo flashes real quickly and then the system reboots. If anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated. This is a 4540s as Well, using Legacy, All Wakes disabled, updated firmware on BIOS.

What boot flags are you using? See sticky guide at top of the forum.

HP Probook 4540s boot up

I tried the "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x" without ""

I have checked all of this

No discrete graphics card
Disabled anything like "Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O" in BIOS,
Disable "Wake on LAN/Wake on USB." - Done
legacy boot is enabled.
Enable legacy boot in "Device Configurations" AND in "Boot Options" set "Legacy"

If I try -v as well it shows the lines of code for a bit and then reboots

I will try -s now. Haven't done that.

edit: -s had no different effect. Also max resolution is 1366x768.

HP Probook 4540s boot up

I tried the "PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x" without ""

I have checked all of this

No discrete graphics card
Disabled anything like "Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O" in BIOS,
Disable "Wake on LAN/Wake on USB." - Done
legacy boot is enabled.
Enable legacy boot in "Device Configurations" AND in "Boot Options" set "Legacy"

If I try -v as well it shows the lines of code for a bit and then reboots

I will try -s now. Haven't done that.

edit: -s had no different effect. Also max resolution is 1366x768.

Time to list your system specs. I know your laptop doesn't have an i3-3220 because that's a desktop chip...

For 4540s I would expect the resolution to be 1366x768... That is the native resolution of the LCD.

HP Probook 4540s boot up

My bad. I knew it was the ivy core. Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 2 cores).

Also in the guide it stated to do other things if you had an updated screen. I was just trying to assure you that I did not.

Could this be happening because I haven't swapped the Wifi Card out yet. I disabled it in the BIOS, and I ordered one from Amazon but will not be in until Tuesday.

Attachments

• HP 4540s.jpg
    HP 4540s.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 9,196
HP Probook 4540s boot up

My bad. I knew it was the ivy core. Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 2 cores).

Also in the guide it stated to do other things if you had an updated screen. I was just trying to assure you that I did not.

You might try some of the other flags (npci=0x2000 npci=0x3000) mentioned in the 10.8 guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Did you try with no flags? You could also pre-patch (extract in Linux, then use MaciASL on another computer) your DSDT and put it in /Extra/dsdt.aml on the USB.

I'm not sure why at this point some of these 4x40s are working and some are being more difficult...

HP Probook 4540s boot up

Could this be happening because I haven't swapped the Wifi Card out yet. I disabled it in the BIOS, and I ordered one from Amazon but will not be in until Tuesday.

Don't know, but not usually. But you could remove it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back