Contribute
Register

[solved] how to remap brightness control keys to Fn+Up and Fn+Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it. _Q11 is dimmer and _Q12 is brighter. Thanks, RehabMan.
What do "0x0205" "0x0285" "0x0206" "0x0286" mean ? Do they differ from machine to machine ? I used the patch on my Lenovo G470, but it didn't work. I have determined that _Q11 is dimmer and _Q12 is brighter on my machine as well.

What do "0x0205" "0x0285" "0x0206" "0x0286" mean ?

They correlate to PS2 make/break keycodes (e005/e085/e006/e086).
Note that it is better to use the "one shot" codes (0x0405/0x0406). The one shot codes allow for both make/break to be sent with a single Notify.

Do they differ from machine to machine ?

Not really.

I used the patch on my Lenovo G470, but it didn't work. I have determined that _Q11 is dimmer and _Q12 is brighter on my machine as well.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

They correlate to PS2 make/break keycodes (e005/e085/e006/e086).
Note that it is better to use the "one shot" codes (0x0405/0x0406). The one shot codes allow for both make/break to be sent with a single Notify.

Not really.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Thanks for your reply. Now I have tried to use your ACPIKeyboard.kext and patch the DSDT refered to your README in https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Keyboard , it works well!

ACPI shows _Q14 brighter _Q15 dimmer but when I patch the DSDT file and I reboot, _Q14 is OK, brighter but _Q14 is brighter too and shows "mute sound" for an instant.

My code:

into method label _Q15 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify (KBD, 0x0406)\n

end;
into method label _Q14 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify (KBD, 0x0405)\n
end;

Attachments

• debug_26329 clover.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 252
ACPI shows _Q14 brighter _Q15 dimmer but when I patch the DSDT file and I reboot, _Q14 is OK, brighter but _Q14 is brighter too and shows "mute sound" for an instant.

My code:

into method label _Q15 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify (KBD, 0x0406)\n

end;
into method label _Q14 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify (KBD, 0x0405)\n
end;

You should try patching _OSI for Win8 instead of Win7.

Attachments

• debug_24327.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 229
Use debug VoodooPS2Controller.kext and ACPIDebug.kext (with proper instrumentation of _Qxx methods) to debug.
I don't know why but it works!!

- I installed VoodooPS2Controller.kext and ACPIDebug.kext (with proper instrumentation of _Qxx methods) to debug.
- Reboot and the keys worked but inverted. I mean, Q_14 dimmer and Q_15 brighter.
- Checked the log in terminal and Q_14 still being brighter and Q_15 still being dimmer althougt them work inverted.
- I patched my DSDT changing Q_14 for Q_15 and withouht Qxx methods and DSDT debug methods.
- I deleted VoodooPS2Controller.kext (debug) and ACPIDebug.kext.
- I installed VoodooPS2Controller.kext (release).
- Reboot and VOILA! Working!

Attachments

• debug_89.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 252
I don't know why but it works!!

- I installed VoodooPS2Controller.kext and ACPIDebug.kext (with proper instrumentation of _Qxx methods) to debug.
- Reboot and the keys worked but inverted. I mean, Q_14 dimmer and Q_15 brighter.
- Checked the log in terminal and Q_14 still being brighter and Q_15 still being dimmer althougt them work inverted.
- I patched my DSDT changing Q_14 for Q_15 and withouht Qxx methods and DSDT debug methods.
- I deleted VoodooPS2Controller.kext (debug) and ACPIDebug.kext.
- I installed VoodooPS2Controller.kext (release).
- Reboot and VOILA! Working!

Marked solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back