Contribute
Register

[Solved] How to rebuild kextcache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok in short upgraded 15.2 to 15.4 but it crashes at the desktop or KPs. Checked my L/E folder and noticed I left Paragon ntfs kext in there before I upgraded. So I booted up from a backup off of a usb disk and deleted that kext from L/E just in case it was the cause of my instability and failure to boot but I need to rebuild the kext cache on that disk since I deleted that kext. If I type 'sudo kextcache -i /' in terminal it will work and rebuild the kext cache on the usb disk I booted up from correct? Need to rebuild kextcache on the internal original hard drive.

Thank you.

Sorry to be a pain.
you can use this to remove kext and caches from single user mode:
Code:
mount - uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf name_of_the_kext.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
shutdown -r now

Ok will try.
Probably will have to do:
"cd /Volumes/Catalina" first.
Then delete the caches manually from the right folder and
assume upon reboot will rebuild automatically.

Anyhow will figure it out.

Thanks for pointing me in right direction.

Much much appreciate your help.

Thank you

Ok will try.
Probably will have to do:
"cd /Volumes/Catalina" first.
Then delete the caches manually from the right folder and
assume upon reboot will rebuild automatically.

Anyhow will figure it out.

Thanks for pointing me in right direction.

Much much appreciate your help.

Thank you
yes, the cd /S/L/E may differ depending on your kext locations, sorry, it is the
that is probably the important part

yes, the cd /S/L/E may differ depending on your kext locations, sorry, it is the
that is probably the important part
Hello,

I have a similar problem; I am booting into a working fresh install of 10.4.6 (Volume "HDD1"), but want to rebuild the kext cache of "library/extensions" on a different, non working volume (Volume "HDD2"). How can I do this? The following terminal command:

is for the startup volume, correct? What is the correct terminal command for the non-startup volume?

Also, I am trying to rebuild the kext cache on Library/Extensions, not System/Library/Extensions. Is this the correct terminal command?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back