Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] How to fix crashed Mac after MultiBeast install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,
i have kinda same issue, i run pc efi 10.6 on my macbook pro, and maybe typed wrong codes on terminal while preparing the thumb drive and i just have a gray screen on my mac now and when i hold option button there is nothing to boot.
since i use snow leopard i dont have recovery option so dont know what to do really.

daniel_iversen said:
Hi there,

Thanks for all the help everyone (and thanks @roguedesigner).

The issue is now resolved, there was some late night "fun" I would have liked to have avoided :)

The solution, for anyone else who might have this issue;

- You don't need to reinstall OS X Lion (10.7.x) I think, I did in the end but that did not even work (still crashed at boot), it was a waste of time and in fact it made things slightly worse as I had to run a lot of updates in the end. After the install however I did;

- Boot in Recovery Mode (Hold Command+R on boot, this is only available in Lion AFAIK)
- Go to Disk Utility
- Mount your existing mac partition (the one with the real OS on it that won't start) if its not already (mine wasn't because I am using disk encryption, so in Disk Utility I have to "unlock" the drive first, typing in my password)
- Exit Disk Utility
- Go to Terminal
- Go to your /System/Library/Extensions folder on your main OS X partition (not the recovery one), for me (with my partition called "Macintosh HD") it was /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions
- create a backup folder somewhere and move ALL the kext files out of the "Extensions" folder.
- copy the Kext files from the Lion recovery partition to the OSX disk, e.g.;
Code:
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/* /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions
- also move the /Extra (in my case /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Extra) folder somewhere else
- Reboot while clearing the PRAM; shut down the Mac, start it holding [Option]+[Command]+P+R until you hear a sound and the laptop restarts itself again
- You are now in OS X started again!
- Re-Install the latest OSX Patch (in my case 10.7.2 - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1459)
- Reboot
- Install any other updates (Apple Menu -> Software Update)
- DONE!!

And so this is for if you accidentally install Multi Beast 4.1 (Multibeast 4.1 or 4.10?) and because there is now way (how to / how-to) uninstall Multi Beast. Also, Safe Mode does not work, it just hangs there.. so do the steps as I said. Shame there is no how to uninstall multibeast :)

Thanks again..

Cheers,
Daniel

PS: If you just try to remove certain Kexts sound will likely not work. You have to remove ALL of the ones and copy over the bare install ones as is described above..

Can you expand on the exact steps to take in terminal to do these steps:

Code:
- Go to your /System/Library/Extensions folder on your main OS X partition (not the recovery one), for me (with my partition called "Macintosh HD") it was /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions
 - create a backup folder somewhere and move ALL the kext files out of the "Extensions" folder.
[code]cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/* /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions
- also move the /Extra (in my case /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Extra) folder somewhere else[/code]

I don't really know terminal and I am stuck with a non working machine right now..

Thanks

Hello, I have thought the same thing to you for a stupid mistake I installed multibeast on my MacBookPro model of 2010 and will not start. PLEASE HOW CAN I REPAIR MY MAC? :eek: :( :eek: :?

Mate, you're a legend. Thanks so much for posting the fix. Worked a treat.

Really glad i came across this forum, like many of you id also made the mistake of installing Multibeast on my mac.

Ive followed the steps but every time i try to move files or create a folder i get the message :read-only file system. It seems my harddrive is set to read only and i don't have the permission to actually write files. I been online for hours trying to figure out how to go for read only to writeable.

Could anyone please shed some light on how to do this in terminal?

Thank you!

daniel_iversen said:
Hi there,

Thanks for all the help everyone (and thanks @roguedesigner).

The issue is now resolved, there was some late night "fun" I would have liked to have avoided :)

The solution, for anyone else who might have this issue;

- You don't need to reinstall OS X Lion (10.7.x) I think, I did in the end but that did not even work (still crashed at boot), it was a waste of time and in fact it made things slightly worse as I had to run a lot of updates in the end. After the install however I did;

- Boot in Recovery Mode (Hold Command+R on boot, this is only available in Lion AFAIK)
- Go to Disk Utility
- Mount your existing mac partition (the one with the real OS on it that won't start) if its not already (mine wasn't because I am using disk encryption, so in Disk Utility I have to "unlock" the drive first, typing in my password)
- Exit Disk Utility
- Go to Terminal
Code:
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/* /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions
- also move the /Extra (in my case /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Extra) folder somewhere else
- Reboot while clearing the PRAM; shut down the Mac, start it holding [Option]+[Command]+P+R until you hear a sound and the laptop restarts itself again
- You are now in OS X started again!
- Re-Install the latest OSX Patch (in my case 10.7.2 - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1459)
- Reboot
- Install any other updates (Apple Menu -> Software Update)
- DONE!!

And so this is for if you accidentally install Multi Beast 4.1 (Multibeast 4.1 or 4.10?) and because there is now way (how to / how-to) uninstall Multi Beast. Also, Safe Mode does not work, it just hangs there.. so do the steps as I said. Shame there is no how to uninstall multibeast :)

Thanks again..

Cheers,
Daniel

PS: If you just try to remove certain Kexts sound will likely not work. You have to remove ALL of the ones and copy over the bare install ones as is described above..

Hi, I am new in this forum. Please, can you tell me after writting in Terminal this command "cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/* /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions" what should I do? I have the same problem and I don't know anything about these kext files :(

Just did this. I tried the previously mentioned with no luck. I had to put the Lion installer onto a usb and do a install twice. It failed the fist time and when i tried to do the install from the recovery partion. Eventually it worked. Doing it from the USB was key though.

Friend your post was a life saver. I managed to boot, did the update and now everything seems to work ok. Do i have to make a clean installation of mountail lion or is it ok to leave like this?
Is it ok that we moved the extras folder?
Also with this fix is multibeast completely uninstalled or are there still files on my system?
thanks!

Hi Guys
I'm new to the terminal window but understand some commands, the basics but im not sure if Im typing the route correctly I've checked my window with pwb and its telling me Im in the /var/root folder but i cant find my /System/Library/Extensions folder

my hard drive is called ML OSX so i have tried

/cd/System/Library/Extensions/ML OSX enter and I get No such file or directory I am obviously not putting the right commands is as the normal commands such as ls, pwd seem to work. any help greatly appreciated

Hi Guys
I'm new to the terminal window but understand some commands, the basics but im not sure if Im typing the route correctly I've checked my window with pwb and its telling me Im in the /var/root folder but i cant find my /System/Library/Extensions folder

my hard drive is called ML OSX so i have tried

/cd/System/Library/Extensions/ML OSX enter and I get No such file or directory I am obviously not putting the right commands is as the normal commands such as ls, pwd seem to work. any help greatly appreciated

Try :
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back