Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] How do I display unique disk names in the OpenCore boot picker screen (Big Sur)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING
CPU
i3-8350K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am running Big Sur 11.0.1 using OpenCore 0.6.3. Using Carbon Copy Cloner, I back up my macOS boot disk (named Macintosh SSD) to three separate disks, which are all APFS formatted, bootable and named:
  • Daily M2 macOS Backup (internal M2)
  • Daily Backup (internal SSD)
  • Weekly Backup (external USB)
The problem is that in the OpenCore boot picker screen, here is what I see:

OpenCore Boot Screen.jpg

As you can see, it's impossible to tell which disk correlates to the actual boot disk I want.

Additionally, in Preferences>Startup Disk, all I ever see is the booted volume (Macintosh SSD, in my case). I never see any of the other bootable volumes. I've gone through the procedure here to no avail. I've also uninstalled/reinstalled and ran Intel Power Gadget, and it made no difference.

Other than this weirdness, my system is running perfectly.

Any ideas out there?

Last edited:
Well, I figured it out. It's a two-step process.

1) Go here for the procedure on creating custom files called
.disk_label and .disk_label_2x which both live in each disk's EFI/BOOT folder, using a utility called disklabel which is included as part of the OpenCore distribution. In using the disklabel utility, you can use whatever name you choose to identify your disk. Spaces are fine.

2) In each disk's EFI/OC/config.plist change the PickerAttributes to a value of 3 (which instructs the picker to use custom boot icons, 0x0001 and to use the disk label files created in step 1 above, 0x0002. Adding these two hex values gives you "3" for this parameter. (For details, refer to the OpenCore reference guide and search for PickerAttributes.)

Good luck!!

Well, I figured it out. It's a two-step process.

1) Go here for the procedure on creating custom files called
.disk_label and .disk_label_2x which both live in each disk's EFI/BOOT folder, using a utility called disklabel which is included as part of the OpenCore distribution. In using the disklabel utility, you can use whatever name you choose to identify your disk. Spaces are fine.

2) In each disk's EFI/OC/config.plist change the PickerAttributes to a value of 3 (which instructs the picker to use custom boot icons, 0x0001 and to use the disk label files created in step 1 above, 0x0002. Adding these two hex values gives you "3" for this parameter. (For details, refer to the OpenCore reference guide and search for PickerAttributes.)

Good luck!!
Thanks for the information! I'm not having success, and wonder if there's a quick solution.

So far, I've followed the provided link to the disklabel instructions, moved disklabel to the boot folder, navigated to the appropriate folder in terminal, and tried entering the command, "disklabel -e "Label" .disk_label .disk_label_2x". At this point, I receive the following terminal response (also see screenshot):

disklabel: (null) must be a disk device

Attachments

• 12_27_20__9_13_AM.jpg
    12_27_20__9_13_AM.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 580
Disregard my last question. The author (startergo) from the link provided at the beginning of this thread helped by explaining that I needed to use the sudo command for disklabel, as follows:

• sudo ./disklabel -e "YourLabel" .disk_label .disk_label_2x.

I do have a follow up question. I've been able to create the .disk_label files, using the procedure above. And, I changed the pickerattributes value to 3 in the config file. But, I don't see the new label in the OC bootpicker. Am I missing something?

I do have a follow up question. I've been able to create the .disk_label files, using the procedure above. And, I changed the pickerattributes value to 3 in the config file. But, I don't see the new label in the OC bootpicker. Am I missing something?
It's really hard to say. A mistake that I've made in the past is not selecting the proper boot disk in the BIOS. That is, selecting the boot disk that actually contains your changes.

The only other thing I could recommend is re-doing the entire procedure, step by step. Make certain that your .disk_label files are actually hidden (type command-shift-. (period) while in the Finder to toggle hidden file view), and that you only have the two files, in the right spot.

You also need to make certain you've completed the OpenCore GUI process here.

Thanks for responding. I can confirm the BIOS boot disk is the one that has the .disk_label files added, and I can confirm those files are there, by pressing cmd-shift-period. Those files are in the boot folder, with bootx64.efi and disklabel. I can also confirm I've completed the OC GUI process. Don't worry if you can't think of anything else. But, if something does come to mind, I'll be eager to try it out. Thanks!

Hello, I have the same problem with my Carbon Copy back up disc in my list of boot options. Both the drives now have the same name. Did you find a way of fixing this ? Thank you
Did you find a solution as I have the exact same issue after CCC ? Thanks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back