1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
System:
GA-H77N-WIFI
i7-3770

This system has successfully run several versions of MacOS. I started the upgrade to High Sierra yesterday and am still plugging away at this. I successfully have High Sierra running on the hardware but my external drives are read-only. They are not NTFS formatted, they are HFS+ (Mac OS Extended, Journaled). One drive is my TimeMachine backup (attached 1TB 2.5" USB 3.0 drive) and one is my 8-Bay Drobo (connected over firewire 800). I can read the data on both devices fine, even restored my user profile from the TM backup drive. I don't have write access to either. If I get info on each drive and go to change permissions, I'm already listed as r+w. If I try to add myself, I can't. That tells me it's pulling the proper UUID. The box for 'ignore ownership' is checked but the first user in the list is 'fetching...' and can't be deleted. I've rebooted to the install USB to run disk utility and fix permissions on both drives, but all checks out fine. If at this point I'm better off wiping and reinstalling and NOT migrating, but instead re-installing all of my apps, that's fine. But I would like to know if there's something else I can do to fix permissions first. TIA!

Followed the steps here to check permissions - permissions on the Drobo are appropriately 'disabled'. However I still don't have write access to the root of the volume. I'm assuming this will solve my Photos library, Plex and Time Machine issues once I can get it resolved so I'd rather not reinstall the system just yet. Any additional help would be appreciated. Also it looks like I filed this under hardware issues, but it now appears to be more software/OS related. Mods - please feel free to re-classify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back