Graphics
Vega 64 LC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've downloaded the security update from the App Store:
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 5.40.34 PM.png

After downloading, it prompted me to reboot, which I did. It rebooted everything went fine seemingly, but I noticed that the update was still in the App Store "Updates" tab.

When I did another reboot today, that's where I got into this screen (only for representative purposes - that's not my machine):

Installation-Log-photo-1800x0-c-default.jpg

I managed to get back into my system by booting the hackintosh drive, but it's veery slow, and I have to manually choose it, otherwise my computer wants to boot into an install drive.

Has anyone experienced this, too? How can I fix this?

Same issue here and I'm searching also for a solution. On my end after running the update and the 1st reboot I can boot from the install drive but after the 2nd reboot the installation drive is gone and my OSX drive is also gone. Each new try to load the update in the clover ends in the same loop.

Edit: After deleting the "install update macOS" folder in the OSX root folder, which was created while downloading the update, my OSX drive came back in the clover. This will not solve the update issue but the system is back in service.

Last edited:
Edit: After deleting the "install update macOS" folder in the OSX root folder, which was created while downloading the update, my OSX drive came back in the clover. This will not solve the update issue but the system is back in service.

Let me try that. Thanks for your answer... glad I'm not alone.

Let me try that. Thanks for your answer... glad I'm not alone.

Deleting that folder in the root folder fixed the delayed boot, and removed the install partition. Problem solved.

It has left me no peace to look for a solution to this issue while installing this update. The main problem with installing this update is that it requires a restart on an iMAC instead of a reboot. I found on Youtube a Video, which is showing a way to install the update on the terminal.

Please note: Disable the Nvidia Web Driver and set it back to the Default maxOS Graphics Driver before you are starting the update to avoid the physically removal of the Nvidia graphics card from your box. Otherwise the OSX will not boot because it needs an update of the Web driver. ;)

Code:
softwareupdate -i -a --restart

After adding the recommended parameters to the softwareupdate, the updates install and the iMac Pro shuts down as expected. After the shutdown I used the new added OSX-Install boot-entry in the clover-menue and the install hast started. While the installation it needs a 2nd reboot - back in the Clover Menu I used the OSX-Install boot-entry again and I was able to finish the installation. After the next required reboot - back in clover - the OSX-Install boot-entry was removed I used the main OSX boot entry. Back on the dashboard do the recommended Nvidia Web Driver to the latest build. Done.

After adding the recommended parameters to the softwareupdate, the updates install and the iMac Pro shuts down as expected. After the shutdown I used the new added OSX-Install boot-entry in the clover-menue and the install hast started. While the installation it needs a 2nd reboot - back in the Clover Menu I used the OSX-Install boot-entry again and I was able to finish the installation. After the next required reboot - back in clover - the OSX-Install boot-entry was removed I used the main OSX boot entry. Back on the dashboard do the recommended Nvidia Web Driver to the latest build. Done.

Thank you. I was having the same issue trying to install Security Update 2019-003, but your post made it possible.

Thank you. I was having the same issue trying to install Security Update 2019-003, but your post made it possible.
I had an issue with the 2019-003 security update too, and this post didn't help me. Downloading the patch from apple's site rather than updating it through the appstore worked though. The update was shown as a high sierra image in clover instead of mojave.

I've been hunting for a solution to the security update failure on High Sierra 10.13.6 for days...
Although the update you had trouble with was 2018-003, I thought it might apply to 2019-003 as well.
Sure enough, your post helped solve my problem, too.
Curiously however, security updates 001 and 002 rebooted 2x each, but 003 rebooted 3 times.

It has left me no peace to look for a solution to this issue while installing this update. The main problem with installing this update is that it requires a restart on an iMAC instead of a reboot. I found on Youtube a Video, which is showing a way to install the update on the terminal.

Please note: Disable the Nvidia Web Driver and set it back to the Default maxOS Graphics Driver before you are starting the update to avoid the physically removal of the Nvidia graphics card from your box. Otherwise the OSX will not boot because it needs an update of the Web driver. ;)

Code:
softwareupdate -i -a --restart

Damn this worked for 2019-003...
1. Disabled Web Driver
2. Reboot 1: Preboot Drive selected
3. Reboot 2: Preboot Drive selected
4. Reboot 3: Regular Macintosh HD Drive selected (with nv_disable=1 boot flag)
5. Voila.

Thanks!

Same steps again for 2019-004:
1. Disable web driver on Nvidia Control Panel
2. In Terminal: softwareupdate -i -a --restart
3. 1st reboot: pre-selected Install MacOS drive (w/ nv_disable=1 for good measure)
4. 2nd reboot: pre-selected Install MacOS drive (nv_disable=1)
5. 3rd reboot: regular MacOS Boot Drive (nv_disable=1)
6. Success --> update NVIDIA Web Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back