Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] High Sierra Installer on old mobo (Gigabyte P55-US3L rev1.0) no SATA during install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H110N
CPU
i5 6600
Graphics
HD530
Hi. I have and old box with P55-US3L + i5 750 + Intel SSD 240Gb

I used Mac Mini with Sierra to build a bootable USB (with the latest Unibiest) with High Sierra installer

I changed BIOS (no UEFI here) settings for AHCI, disabled XHD.

Clover boots fine

Installer boots fine

But there are no SATA drives in installer, not Disk Utility

I used Mac Mini to pre-format Intel SSD, but still no luck

I tried to use both "blue" and "white" ports on my mobo

BIOS shows Intel SSD correctly

I tried to search forums. Found about 3rd party SATA kext, but can't find a place to download it

OK. I solved it

First, I attached my SSD via SATA-to-USB dock and installed High Sierra on external drive
All went smoothly

I ran through Multibeast and was able to boot from USB drive

Next, I found this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nize-internal-hdds.232894/page-4#post-1620857
And changed KextsToPatch as specified. I didn't use neither 3rd party SATA tools, nor another AppleAHCIPort.kext

And I could boot from SATA and now everything works well

Thanks for posting the solved details! I'll try this myself.
I also have a P55 intel mobo.
I did a high Sierra install with the non APFS file allocation format command in Terminal as I was worried my old motherboard would not work with it.
This was all done when the SSD was plugged in via USB. updated security, installed correct graphics drivers, updated with multi East audio drivers etc.
When plugging SSD from usb directly to SATA on the motherboard, it boots in BIOS, loads these macOS boot window loading screen fine but just before it loads the OS, the apple logo changes to no entry sign and will not load further.
Works if plugged back into USB but not SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back