Contribute
Register

[Solved] High Sierra finally installed, but can't get back in on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually had the thought: I wanna do this again :)

I will definitely consider making a guide for my specific setup. I guess that means buying a new SSD since thats what i used and its the most apfs-friendly.

But right now, although I’m proud and happy, I’m also a bit exhausted after 40 hours work and frustration, just getting the last steps done with photos library, time machine backup etc.

I think its worth writing a full guide now that i think about it since it seems flawless at this point. I believe sleep/hibernate works (although not sure how to check it), no sudden reboots...yet. Bluetooth working with imessage and phonecalls. Good wifi. Graphics, sound. I just havent tried ethernet yet.

1. How is it to clone a disk in disk utility?
2. Does it have to be plugged via SATA og is USB connection sufficient?

I can google this, just wondering if any noteworthy warnings out there or major timesaving «tricks»

I actually had the thought: I wanna do this again :)

I will definitely consider making a guide for my specific setup. I guess that means buying a new SSD since thats what i used and its the most apfs-friendly.

But right now, although I’m proud and happy, I’m also a bit exhausted after 40 hours work and frustration, just getting the last steps done with photos library, time machine backup etc.

I think its worth writing a full guide now that i think about it since it seems flawless at this point. I believe sleep/hibernate works (although not sure how to check it), no sudden reboots...yet. Bluetooth working with imessage and phonecalls. Good wifi. Graphics, sound. I just havent tried ethernet yet.

1. How is it to clone a disk in disk utility?
2. Does it have to be plugged via SATA og is USB connection sufficient?

I can google this, just wondering if any noteworthy warnings out there or major timesaving «tricks»

As I said, Clonezilla, a Linux freeware [download from http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=stable] is the best Cloning software for any disk to disk cloning in Mac, Windows, and Linux, in my experience. I had done a short write-up in the Sierra Desktop Support Forum in response to a question. You can find my illustrated write up on this topic if you check https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-its-acting-very-strange.208298/#post-1379217
There I've given all the steps to create a Clonezilla Disk Cloner USB (in UEFI boot Mode) and how to use that. I elected to create the USB cloning Clonezilla in Windows 10 using Rufus because it seemed much easier to me. You can create in Mac or Linux but I have not tried it that way.

Clonezilla USB is one of the tools in my armamentarium to clone and save a disk before I do different kinds of experiments with the original in the System. After each update, I re-clone the disk and keep a spare to go into service right away if the disk in the Computer becomes unbootable for any major reason and I don't have the time to troubleshoot or the disk dies suddenly.

I have tried the "Restore" disk option with Disk Utility in OS X , but was very disappointed with results and gave up . I used to rely solely on Carbon Copy Cloner bought from Apple but Clonezilla is by far the best and it is a freeware (donation-ware):)

Hello , i have same motherboard like you, but i have a problem with audio , i dont found a solution, and i dont understand really good english ! (i'm french) if everyone can help me it will be cool !

Hello , i have same motherboard like you, but i have a problem with audio , i dont found a solution, and i dont understand really good english ! (i'm french) if everyone can help me it will be cool !
For assistance with Audio you should post in the Audio forum.
Read the 'sticky' guides first and be sure to comply with the Problem Reporting instructions or you will not get any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back