Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270-HD3P
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 570
I'm wondering if i installed Clover incorrectly on the SSD drive with the wrong customisation when I was trying to install the NVIDIA drivers following Tonymacs guide.

No drives appeared in Clover to start up with, the putt the USB installer back in and get different menus every reboot, usually the install option along with my disk (named "mac OS") and recovery option. the last two options gives me the "forbidden" sign.

I chose the Installer option from the USB again and when I'm in verbose+single user mode it is now stuck on "creating RAM disk for /var/log"

Have I messed it up beyond repair or is there a way to get back in to my disk with the already installed HS?
Do I have to reinstall everything again and and the install Clover properly on my SSD to get the drives working?
Do I even have to connect the disk to a different PC to erase it again?

I'm wondering if i installed Clover incorrectly on the SSD drive with the wrong customisation when I was trying to install the NVIDIA drivers following Tonymacs guide.

No drives appeared in Clover to start up with, the putt the USB installer back in and get different menus every reboot, usually the install option along with my disk (named "mac OS") and recovery option. the last two options gives me the "forbidden" sign.

I chose the Installer option from the USB again and when I'm in verbose+single user mode it is now stuck on "creating RAM disk for /var/log"

Have I messed it up beyond repair or is there a way to get back in to my disk with the already installed HS?
Do I have to reinstall everything again and and the install Clover properly on my SSD to get the drives working?

No drives appeared in Clover to start up with,
The information given in the rest of your post supports this assumption.
The System SSD has an EFI partition that was created by the Disk utility from the USB Installer disk but that EFI partition does not seem to have a valid CLOVER EFI Bootloader apparently from some problem you seem to have encountered during Clover EFI installation. That is why whenever you booted your system disk alone without the USB Installer, you could not find the SSD system disk or the Recovery Disk .

the putt the USB installer back in and get different menus every reboot, usually the install option along with my disk (named "mac OS") and recovery option
Since the High Sierra USB installer has a valid Clover EFI boot loader [after all that USB Installer is the one that was able to Boot to Installation screen, format the SSD, provide it with the System files, and take it to the desktop to complete the installation with Clover installation and Graphics configuration]it could reach Clover Boot Manager Screen and display the icons of inadequately prepared System SSD named "Mac OS" and its Recovery HD.

the last two options gives me the "forbidden" sign.
That has to be expected.
Because they don't have a valid boot loader to take them to their destinations: System disk to Login screen and Recovery disk to Installation screen (like the USB installer)

Single User mode to be used with a System disk is to get a Command prompt to run commands to fix disk errors preventing boot like /sbin/fsck -fy. I doubt booting your USB installer in Single User Mode can serve any useful purpose.

What can you do from this point?
  • You got a good USB installer. Reboot with that
  • Reformat your SSD to ensure any corrupt files from that are removed and a good APFS is used to reformat it .
  • Reinstall macOS High Sierra on that formatted and named SSD.
  • DO NOT REMOVE the USB installer from the USB port until you get a fully installed SSD system disk with its own Clover EFI boot loader and its CLOVER folder contents , especially kext>Other folder has FakeSMC + Ethernet kext , its drivers64UEFI has required files including APFS.EFI , its config.plist is similar to the config.plist of your USB installer that has been booting perfectly plus the requirements for your GeForce GTX 1050 in the "System Parameters" section of config.plist : [√]NvidiaWeb [√]Inject System ID [ Yes ] Inject Kexts.
  • Install Nvidiaweb drivers and reboot as prompted.
  • On reboot spend a minute or two in CBM screen to make sure Options are very close to that of the USB Installer's Options [ because they were perfect for flawless booting]
  • Go to >Options
    • verify Boot Args: I suggest Verbose boot (-v ) and dart=0 . keep -v until you have an updated High Sierra system with all other applications you need and then you can stop using it. A verbose boot screen is the best way to diagnose and treat boot problems.
    • ACPI Patching:
      • Tables dropping->
      • Drop OEM_DSM- >
      • DSDT fix mask->
    • SMBIOS Product Name: iMac 14.2 (most desirable)
    • PCI Devices [√] USB Ownership [√]USB Injectio
    • CPU tuning ->
    • Graphics Injector -> make sure [√] Nwidiaweb
    • Audio Tuning
    • Binary patches->
    • System Parameters System Integrity Protection [0x0067]
  • Boot your System SSD or your "Mac OS"
  • If that booting>login >Desktop OK, make all updates and then eject your USB Installer
  • Reboot SSD without USB .
Hope this works out for you.
good luck.

The information given in the rest of your post supports this assumption.
The System SSD has an EFI partition that was created by the Disk utility from the USB Installer disk but that EFI partition does not seem to have a valid CLOVER EFI Bootloader apparently from some problem you seem to have encountered during Clover EFI installation. That is why whenever you booted your system disk alone without the USB Installer, you could not find the SSD system disk or the Recovery Disk .

the putt the USB installer back in and get different menus every reboot, usually the install option along with my disk (named "mac OS") and recovery option
Since the High Sierra USB installer has a valid Clover EFI boot loader [after all that USB Installer is the one that was able to Boot to Installation screen, format the SSD, provide it with the System files, and take it to the desktop to complete the installation with Clover installation and Graphics configuration]it could reach Clover Boot Manager Screen and display the icons of inadequately prepared System SSD named "Mac OS" and its Recovery HD.

the last two options gives me the "forbidden" sign.
That has to be expected.
Because they don't have a valid boot loader to take them to their destinations: System disk to Login screen and Recovery disk to Installation screen (like the USB installer)

Single User mode to be used with a System disk is to get a Command prompt to run commands to fix disk errors preventing boot like /sbin/fsck -fy. I doubt booting your USB installer in Single User Mode can serve any useful purpose.

What can you do from this point?
  • You got a good USB installer. Reboot with that
  • Reformat your SSD to ensure any corrupt files from that are removed and a good APFS is used to reformat it .
  • Reinstall macOS High Sierra on that formatted and named SSD.
  • DO NOT REMOVE the USB installer from the USB port until you get a fully installed SSD system disk with its own Clover EFI boot loader and its CLOVER folder contents , especially kext>Other folder has FakeSMC + Ethernet kext , its drivers64UEFI has required files including APFS.EFI , its config.plist is similar to the config.plist of your USB installer that has been booting perfectly plus the requirements for your GeForce GTX 1050 in the "System Parameters" section of config.plist : [√]NvidiaWeb [√]Inject System ID [ Yes ] Inject Kexts.
  • Install Nvidiaweb drivers and reboot as prompted.
  • On reboot spend a minute or two in CBM screen to make sure Options are very close to that of the USB Installer's Options [ because they were perfect for flawless booting]
  • Go to >Options
    • verify Boot Args: I suggest Verbose boot (-v ) and dart=0 . keep -v until you have an updated High Sierra system with all other applications you need and then you can stop using it. A verbose boot screen is the best way to diagnose and treat boot problems.
    • ACPI Patching:
      • Tables dropping->
      • Drop OEM_DSM- >
      • DSDT fix mask->
    • PCI Devices [√] USB Ownership [√]USB Injection
    • CPU tuning ->
    • Graphics Injector -> make sure [√] Nvidiaweb
    • Audio Tuning
    • Binary patches->
  • Boot your System SSD or your "Mac OS"
  • If that booting>login >Desktop OK, make all updates and then eject your USB Installer
  • Reboot SSD without USB .
Hope this works out for you.
good luck.

Last edited:
Update:

So I managed to reinstall High Sierra again (I had to remake the USB).
But could NOT manage to boot back in after installing the NVIDIA driver.
I installed according to tonymacs guide
The of the two driver downloads (either the one ending with 114 or the one ending with 117) gave me an error and took me out of the process, the other gave an error but i could complete it (I guess one was an addon or a supplement package to the other?). It gave me the nvidia menu on the top menu bar so something was right.
Among the many errors passing by I ended up with the (attatched picture) looping until the pc shut off.

I will sum up my "loose ends":
  1. First I'm unsure if the customization during Clover install needs to be "perfect".
    I used a customization from here with
    [√] install for uefi booting only
    [√] install Clover in the ESP
    - drivers 64UEFI
    [√]OSXAptioFix2Drv-64
  2. Been searching on the forum about ethernet kext, but truth is, being a newbie, I don't know what i need, the different ethernet kext descriptions in the kext list mentioned Linux and other things that didn't seem relevant to me.
  3. I was very unsure while installing Clover on the SSD, I added fakeSMC, apfs and did what was told in "system parameters". But when reboot while crossing fingers I see a CBM way different then expected and I didn't quite understand the following segment, and remembering how the whole USB option setup was will take me a long time to memorize or take screenshots of, but if i need then I will do:
    • Go to >Options
      • ACPI Patching:
        • Tables dropping->
        • Drop OEM_DSM- >
        • DSDT fix mask->
      • PCI Devices [√] USB Ownership [√]USB Injection
      • CPU tuning ->
      • Audio Tuning
      • Binary patches->

It says Boot Args:nv_spanmodepolicy=1 and no idea how to enable "dart=0" (didn't find that option in CBM)

ACPI Patching:
    • Tables dropping->
    • Drop OEM_DSM- >
    • DSDT fix mask->

Does this imply that I have to do something in those menus?

• CPU tuning ->
    • Audio Tuning
    • Binary patches->

Do I have to do something in "CPU tuning"?
    I could do [√]Inject NVIDIA and [√]Use NVIDIA web drivers, but not [√] Nwidiaweb as written like that in graphics injector.
    Audio tuning, binary patches...do anything special in those menus?
    System Integrity Protection [0x0067] was [0x03FF] but eventually found out how to adjust the checklist in it so it became [0x0067]. (picture attatched)

Attachments

• IMG_6520.jpg
    IMG_6520.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6522.JPG
    IMG_6522.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Update:

So I managed to reinstall High Sierra again (I had to remake the USB).
But could NOT manage to boot back in after installing the NVIDIA driver.
The of the two driver downloads (either the one ending with 114 or the one ending with 117) gave me an error and took me out of the process, the other gave an error but i could complete it (I guess one was an addon or a supplement package to the other?). It gave me the nvidia menu on the top menu bar so something was right.
Among the many errors passing by I ended up with the (attatched picture) looping until the pc shut off.

I will sum up my "loose ends":
  1. First I'm unsure if the customization during Clover install needs to be "perfect".
    - drivers 64UEFI
    [√]OSXAptioFix2Drv-64
  2. Been searching on the forum about ethernet kext, but truth is, being a newbie, I don't know what i need, the different ethernet kext descriptions in the kext list mentioned Linux and other things that didn't seem relevant to me.
  3. I was very unsure while installing Clover on the SSD, I added fakeSMC, apfs and did what was told in "system parameters". But when reboot while crossing fingers I see a CBM way different then expected and I didn't quite understand the following segment, and remembering how the whole USB option setup was will take me a long time to memorize or take screenshots of, but if i need then I will do:

dart=0 (didn't find that option in CBM)

I could do [√]Inject NVIDIA and [√]Use NVIDIA web drivers, but not [√] Nwidiaweb as written like that in graphics injector.
    System Integrity Protection [0x0067] was [0x03FF] but eventually found out how to adjust the checklist in it so it became [0x0067]. (picture attatched)
First I'm unsure if the customization during Clover install needs to be "perfect".
- drivers 64UEFI
[√]OSXAptioFix2Drv-64
  • This looks OK.
    • This makes your CLOVER to boot in UEFI mode and use OSXAptioFix2Drv-64 to reach the CBM without a Kernel Panic at the Pre-CBM stage of booting . It has apparently accomplished that mission.
  • It is always good to check the contents of drivers64UEFI through EFI> EFI>CLOVER > drivers64UEFI soon after Clover installation [ EFI Partition will usually be mounted automatically on to the desktop and it is easy to verify the contents of CLOVER and sub-folders without having to use an EFI Mounter like CCV or EFI Mounter V3]
    • Please note CLOVER on its own might add other drivers to the "drivers64UEFI" folder in addition to the one you had checked [√] above.
    • What are needed and what needs to be removed, what new one has to be added depends on the hardware and problems if any during boot.
Been searching on the forum about ethernet kext, but truth is, being a newbie, I don't know what i need, the different ethernet kext descriptions in the kext list mentioned Linux and other things that didn't seem relevant to me.

I was very unsure while installing Clover on the SSD, I added fakeSMC, apfs and did what was told in "system parameters". But when reboot while crossing fingers I see a CBM way different then expected

• The icons on the CBM will depend upon the disks currently attached and Powered from the Motherboard.
  • The way the Icons look depend up on the "Themes" folder contents of CLOVER loaded during the current boot.
    • "Themes" folder contents are editable just like you did with "drivers64UEFI" folder where you checked and added . In this case you have to Right click and Send to Trash unwanted themes and add wanted ones downloaded from the Net or Self-created ones.
  • The only way I can appreciate what you found "different" is to get a Photo of CBM uploaded to this forum.

and I didn't quite understand the following segment, and remembering how the whole USB option setup was will take me a long time to memorize or take screenshots of, but if i need then I will do:

I was just reminding you that all the things you have already set up in CLOVER and config.plist (since you might not have edited config.plist using an editor like CCV, the options currently there must be default ones) will be affecting the various menus under CBM >Options and sub-menus. You get a last minute chance to check and make sure all are OK or get a chance to temporarily enable or disable by check/uncheck . I made a few very critical ones in Bold only for emphasis.
Example : config.plist >Boot >Args: ----- is where you will insert Boot Flags like -v or dart=0 [ This is required for MoBo with no option to Disable Vt-d in the BIOS . Also , there is NO harm in typing in dart=0 even if you have made Vt-d= DISABLE in BIOS] If you are unsure of BIOS choice of Vt-d =Disabled , you may type dart=0 in CBM>Boot Args: -

As I indicated , I don't have your MoBo to test what specific options it needs to configure CLOVER's contents and config.plist to make it boot without problems. Therefore I won't be able to give precise answers.

In general, NOT making any selection in ACPI section of config.plist (leaving items blank) to begin with and adding as needed for Boot problems is the best way. If anyone else has a well documented guide for CLOVER contents and config.plist editing for your Board +CPU+Graphics, that would be the ideal. Otherwise you will have to 'tinker' and find the best setup by trial and error.
In CBM you can verify current default ACPI options in the various sub-menus . You may check or uncheck and see how it affects booting. Once you find the right options , you can then mount EFI Partition of your System Disk to the Desktop using Clover Configurator V (CCV) and navigate EFI>EFI>CLOVER>config.plist and Rt click >Open with CCV and go to various Menus from the Left Panel and do [√] or uncheck . The uploaded image will show the menus on CCV's Left Panel .

I made a Typo on NvidiaWeb and my apologies for the error. I have edited it after you reminded me. Thank you for that

If you had checked config.plist of your CLOVER using Clover Configurator Vibrant http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-mac.php?version=vibrant and gone to its menu "Rt Variables" and checked, you could actually see what it had as default and edit by typing in [0x67 ] for CsrActiveConfig which will show up as SIP [0x0067]
See attached image

For NVIDIA GTX 1080 post install, please read https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-high-sierra-10-13-0-378-10-10-10-15.225522/ and check if the steps indicated there are followed. I am sorry, I don't have that card to test and give any specific help.

Edited to include:

In CBM Uncheck [ ]Inject Nvidia but [√] Use NVIDIA web drivers

Attachments

• CONFIG.PLIST_CCV_SIP.png
    CONFIG.PLIST_CCV_SIP.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Thank you so much again!
After too many adjustments to mention, and following some more leads and searching for successful installs for my motherboard along with a KabyLake guide I've finally rebooted without USB. I still gotta install the graphic drivers, a bit nervous, so saving that for next session.

Thank you so much again!
After too many adjustments to mention, and following some more leads and searching for successful installs for my motherboard along with a KabyLake guide I've finally rebooted without USB. I still gotta install the graphic drivers, a bit nervous, so saving that for next session.
Glad that you got a bootable High Sierra System.
Post install graphics troubleshoot is not as hard as the Installation.
I will be delighted to see the Title of your post prefixed with [SOLVED] very soon.

@cmn699

Super happy! Solved!

NVIDIA drivers installed following the exact steps from Stork's post under the thread.
This was after I got locked out of HS from doing it the "quick" way that gave issues to so many.
So relieved I could boot in recovery mode with the USB and disable the drivers with terminal when it failed at first.

Audio also installed through a guide for Kaby Lake. Very relieved I only had to change a number in Clover and then restart.

As a bonus my bluetooth works too :)
Hope it even works with iMessage as well.

@cmn699

Super happy! Solved!

NVIDIA drivers installed following the exact steps from Stork's post under the thread.
This was after I got locked out of HS from doing it the "quick" way that gave issues to so many.
So relieved I could boot in recovery mode with the USB and disable the drivers with terminal when it failed at first.

Audio also installed through a guide for Kaby Lake. Very relieved I only had to change a number in Clover and then restart.

As a bonus my bluetooth works too :)
Hope it even works with iMessage as well.

Congrats :clap:. I saw the [SOLVED] Prefix to the Title when I checked your post this morning.

Since your installation steps took a lot of twits and turns, it may benefit you, if you install it on another blank disk and record the right steps (omitting the detours and wrong steps) and create your own Installation manual including screen shots. If that is not worthwhile , at least clone this perfectly working system disk on to a blank one using a freeware like Clonezilla to avoid having to go through the same Installation problem if the system suffers a major mishap and becomes unbootable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back