RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I did a clean install of High Sierra exactly as per the guide posted on this site:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/#download

So far everything seems to work fine, except that I can't mount drives other than the boot drive. High Sierra recognizes that the drives exist; however, sees them as not being initialized. If I attempt to initialize a drive, it states that it can't write to the last block.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You
Troy

If you are having trouble I would just do it using terminal.
You can just google instructions "format disk using terminal" or some variation and find instructions on how to do so

If you are having trouble I would just do it using terminal.
You can just google instructions "format disk using terminal" or some variation and find instructions on how to do so

I appreciate the suggestion; however, I think it's going to require something more than that. It's recognizing the existence of, but not allowing me to mount exFAT & NTFS drives that are already formatted and have data on them. These drives were previously accessible when running macOS Sierra. There have been no hardware changes.

I appreciate the suggestion; however, I think it's going to require something more than that. It's recognizing the existence of, but not allowing me to mount exFAT & NTFS drives that are already formatted and have data on them. These drives were previously accessible when running macOS Sierra. There have been no hardware changes.
In your initial post #1 you stated
I can't mount drives other than the boot drive. High Sierra recognizes that the drives exist; however, sees them as not being initialized. If I attempt to initialize a drive, it states that it can't write to the last block.

• That suggests there are bad sectors in those disks.
  • See if you can connect the disks to Windows and recover your data ASAP.

In your initial post #1 you stated

• That suggests there are bad sectors in those disks.
  • See if you can connect the disks to Windows and recover your data ASAP.

I don't think it's that. I think it's something in either my selection of kexts or Clover settings. If I move the drive to a system with exactly the same hardware, but running macOS Sierra, it recognizes the drives, mounts them and I have access to the data without any problems. The drives are HGST 3 & 4 TB drives and I've tested several of them.

By no means am I dismissing any suggestions, I'm checking even that which I would otherwise assume to be obvious.

Thank You
Troy

Last edited:
I don't think it's that. I think it's something in either my selection of kexts or Clover settings. If I move the drive to a system with exactly the same hardware, but running macOS Sierra, it recognizes the drives, mounts them and I have access to the data without any problems. The drives are HGST 3 & 4 TB drives and I've tested several of them.

By no means am I dismissing any suggestions, I'm checking even that which I would otherwise assume to be obvious.

Thank You
Troy

I've done some more testing and it's definitely something relating to my new Clover/High Sierra install. I've moved the inaccessible drives to a different system running macOS Sierra and also moved a boot drive running macOS Sierra to this system and am able to access the drives without any issues.

I'm thinking it's got to either be a kext issue or a Clover config issue, any suggestions?

Thank You
Troy

I've done some more testing and it's definitely something relating to my new Clover/High Sierra install. I've moved the inaccessible drives to a different system running macOS Sierra and also moved a boot drive running macOS Sierra to this system and am able to access the drives without any issues.

I'm thinking it's got to either be a kext issue or a Clover config issue, any suggestions?

Thank You
Troy

I had MB BIOS settings with SATA HD Hot Swap Enabled, which worked fine with previous Clover/macOS Sierra install, but doesn't seem to work with new Clover/macOS High Sierra install. I'll have to do more testing, but initially looks like the issue is with Clover. Under previous install I would see other drives in Clover Boot Menu with Hot Swap enabled, under new install I only see other drives with Hot Swap Disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back