Contribute
Register

[Solved] High Sierra Direct update stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could remove the SSD, update it on a Mac, install Nvidia Web drivers and it should then run, but won't I be exactly in the same situation ad each point or security update?

Sooo finally I fixed the issue, whatever it was. I did it by removing the SSD, connecting it to my laptop and adding the USBInjectAll.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext to EFI > kext> Other (GenericUSB... was in L/E).

With that, the keyboard and mouse started working, but after login in the system only showed the wallpaper (an older one idk why) but nothing else. So I booted in recovery and used the USB installer I created previously with High Sierra — which wouldn't load from Clover, I don't know why again — and started the install app from the Console.

After that, I could log in, install the NVidia drivers and now everything looks fine.

Hi, not sure wether you fixed it, but in case: you shouldn't enable the iGPU, it's the multi-GPU setup that is creating an issue from my understanding. So basically try in your BIOS to disable both the iGPU and 1 card (I don't know if the SLI cable will be an issue or not) and see if you can install like that. Or disable both cards and go with the iGPU for the install (of course plug your display on the iGPU in this case). If your BIOS can do that, you should be fine. Otherwise you can go back to Rehabman post, there is a way to do it without BIOS intervention nor physical removal, but that's much more complicated than what I just indicated (requires specific injection technics).

Unfortunately my BIOS does not support PCIE card disabling, otherwise I'd have fixed it.
I'm at my wits' end and rehabman's posts are incredibly technical at least for me.

I need some help.

Hi
I'm having the same issue with my Sierra laptop. The problem is I do not have an option
in BIOS/UEFI to select between Nvidia/intel and of course cannot remove nvidia GPU
(its soldered on motherboard). I was wondering if applying a DSDT patch in Clover
that could disable nvidia GPU could make it work.
I think there are patches to disable it in order to save energy and extend battery life,
haven't tried them though

I could remove the SSD, update it on a Mac, install Nvidia Web drivers and it should then run, but won't I be exactly in the same situation ad each point or security update?

You might still be in the same situation as with the display issue...but I know, nothing will be there to prevent you from upgrading it with a real Mac. (=

Alrighteeee - got it working. This time I disabled intel graphic, update clover, install high sierra without converting to AFS.

Now everything works except audio. GA H87m HD3

Help me out, guys

Hi

Finally, got it working!
All I did was to apply the DSDT patch that disables the Nvidia GPU.

Yeah I got this. Once it starts to overlap itself you're done. Boot with -v (verbose).

I do not recall how I fixed this issue. What is your graphics setup? Are you installing on top of a working Sierra, with working Nvidia web drivers? If so how did you disable the web drivers, boot nv_disable=1?
Do you remember how to fix? Apparently I cant find a fix anywhere. Thanks.

Do you remember how to fix? Apparently I cant find a fix anywhere. Thanks.
what i did was disabling intel GPU in bios while i'm still on Sierra, delete downloaded High Sierra file and redownload with intel GPU disabled (I only have nvidia GPU at this time). Install/Update (following tony's tutorial) with terminal without converting APFS. And then update just goes smoothly without any problem.

The only problem for me right now is that sometime the machine detect my speakers, sometime don't. A pair of external speakers, built-in speaker on monitor, sometime the machine just dont detect both and i have to reboot. Everything else is fine.

SOLVED.

Had this problem myself with hanging on the USB load during install. I didn't even consider that it was my GFX card that was the problem (an older 750 TI, had no issues with it on el capitan).

I solved the problem by removing the card and using the motherboard GPU. Took only about 5 min to load from USB to the install screen for HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back