Contribute
Register

[Solved] High Sierra Direct update stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jbartolozzi, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Hi, not sure wether you fixed it, but in case: you shouldn't enable the iGPU, it's the multi-GPU setup that is creating an issue from my understanding. So basically try in your BIOS to disable both the iGPU and 1 card (I don't know if the SLI cable will be an issue or not) and see if you can install like that. Or disable both cards and go with the iGPU for the install (of course plug your display on the iGPU in this case). If your BIOS can do that, you should be fine. Otherwise you can go back to Rehabman post, there is a way to do it without BIOS intervention nor physical removal, but that's much more complicated than what I just indicated (requires specific injection technics).

I'm afraid my BIOS doesn't allow disabling of any cards. :(
Which Rehabman post are you talking about?

Also, I thought about this. How about if I add the Nvidia drivers on the USB install volume? This way the installer should run just right off the bat. How do I do that? I couldn't find a driver folder on my USB stick.

I just finished a clean install of High Sierra on my Gigabyte Z170-HD3P. I was able to successfully install it by removing my nVIDIA GTX 660 (as I was having the same issue of being stuck in the installation when my graphics card is connected), and using the built-in Intel graphics. I copied the kexts and my config.plist from my Sierra hard drive and transfer it to the EFI of my High Sierra (after installing Clover), and everything is working fine as my old Hackintosh Sierra setup. (=

I just finished a clean install of High Sierra on my Gigabyte Z170-HD3P. I was able to successfully install it by removing my nVIDIA GTX 660 (as I was having the same issue of being stuck in the installation when my graphics card is connected), and using the built-in Intel graphics. I copied the kexts and my config.plist from my Sierra hard drive and transfer it to the EFI of my High Sierra (after installing Clover), and everything is working fine as my old Hackintosh Sierra setup. (=
For those of us with no integrated graphics, I wonder if an amd card would work?

i had the same problem upgrading from el capitan, after a few hours of trouble shooting I found the problem........put fakesmc into the "other" folder like the instruction says. A lot of people think they already have that in the EFI partition when it is not....i was one of those, heh

Shouldn't this be addressed in Clover, automatically? Removing the card is impossible for people with watercooling, and not all BIOSes support PCIe card disabling. There should be an option implementable on Clover, otherwise all of future point and security updates of High Sierra will be totally screwed. Basically every time Web Drivers won't kick in.

So I managed to make the system boot after removing the GTX card and using the integrated graphics. I uninstalled the old NVidia drivers and reboot, then installed the new drivers and reboot again. Now the login screen appears in the adequate resolution (so it's using the NVidia Web Drivers) but neither the keyboard nor the mouse is working, so I can't log in or do anything. Any ideas?

@jbartolozzi I am not sure if there isn't a built-in graphics, that you will be able to pull it thru, but there should be a workaround somehow. Probably, as MadMac1969 mentioned, that it may be addressed in Clover.

@naroh If the keyboard and the mouse aren't working, it is most likely a USB issue, a configuration or some sort.

Best is to always have a backup drive when upgrading - just to test first. I did not touch my old Sierra drive, and installed High Sierra on another drive. (=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back