Contribute
Register

[Solved] High Sierra Direct update stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly, you need to check "inject INTEL" in clover boot ->option->graphics to enable the iGPU. And of course plug your display to the HDMI of the motherboard and not to the discret GPU (yeah, sounds stupid, but it cost me 2 hours once -_-)
No. I cant even get into bios. No output at all.

Anyway, i went back to make bootable usb, then bite my tongue and fresh install.
I have both intel and nvidia hooked up on 2 monitors. Dvi on intel and hdmi on nvidia.
Nvidia shows loading bar, then stuck (forever) once it hits ~70%
While contents show on intel monitor.

In 10.13, to use intel IGPU:
- BIOS needs to enable IGPU (not auto) and have initial output to IGFX (not PEGP or PCI), allocate at least 64MB of VRAM
- discrete can still be in the box
- config.plist: inject intel true, inject Nvidia false, nvidiaweb false, NO OTHER GRAPHICS STUFF (not nvda_drv, not nv_disable=1, no ig_platform_id, no 4 port patch or port/connector edits)
- connect monitor to DVI or DisplayPort (avoid HDMI for now) of IGPU

In 10.13 to use pascal:
- BIOS set IGPU to auto or disabled, have initial output to PCI/PEGP or whatever your bios calls it (not IGFX)
- config.plist: inject intel can be true or false, inject Nvidia false, NvidiaWeb true, NO OTHER GRAPHICS STUFF
- connect monitor to DVI or DisplayPort (avoid HDMI) of discrete GPU
- you SHOULD be able to boot without nv_disable=1 and get reduced graphics until you install the web drivers, but, failing that, consider booting with nv_disable=1

**THIS IS MY GENERAL EXPERIENCE and may not work on all systems

The point is, on 10.13, the only thing you should need to do to use IGPU is to enable it and make it primary in the BIOS (>= 64MB VRAM), and set inject intel true, and connect single monitor to IGPU (DVI or DP). If you have any other acpi patches in CLOVER/EFI/acpi/patched, any graphics kexts in kexts/other or any other graphics patches/settings in config.plist this MAY be the source of the problem for you.

The only thing you should need to do to use pascal is to make it primary in BIOS, set nvidiaweb true, and install web drivers (possible need to boot with nv_disable=1 to get to desktop to install web drivers first time)

Some folks are reporting that pascal on 10.13 for them requires lilu.kext and nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext, especially if using a SMBIOS that is less forgiving such as macpro6,1, imac17,* or imac18,*. I use iMac14,2 which does not require these things. But for folks that are having trouble installing High Sierra on a discrete gpu but have an intel IGPU, I strongly recommend getting things working on the IGPU first then worrying about the discrete gpu.

One question : I haven't change my config.plist since my first install of Clover 3 years ago, can it be part of the issue ? Does that file needs to be updated from time to time like Clover or the kexts ?

In 10.13, to use intel IGPU:
- BIOS needs to enable IGPU (not auto) and have initial output to IGFX (not PEGP or PCI), allocate at least 64MB of VRAM
- discrete can still be in the box
- config.plist: inject intel true, inject Nvidia false, nvidiaweb false, NO OTHER GRAPHICS STUFF (not nvda_drv, not nv_disable=1, no ig_platform_id, no 4 port patch or port/connector edits)
- connect monitor to DVI or DisplayPort (avoid HDMI for now) of IGPU

In 10.13 to use pascal:
- BIOS set IGPU to auto or disabled, have initial output to PCI/PEGP or whatever your bios calls it (not IGFX)
- config.plist: inject intel can be true or false, inject Nvidia false, NvidiaWeb true, NO OTHER GRAPHICS STUFF
- connect monitor to DVI or DisplayPort (avoid HDMI) of discrete GPU
- you SHOULD be able to boot without nv_disable=1 and get reduced graphics until you install the web drivers, but, failing that, consider booting with nv_disable=1

**THIS IS MY GENERAL EXPERIENCE and may not work on all systems

The point is, on 10.13, the only thing you should need to do to use IGPU is to enable it and make it primary in the BIOS (>= 64MB VRAM), and set inject intel true, and connect single monitor to IGPU (DVI or DP). If you have any other acpi patches in CLOVER/EFI/acpi/patched, any graphics kexts in kexts/other or any other graphics patches/settings in config.plist this MAY be the source of the problem for you.

The only thing you should need to do to use pascal is to make it primary in BIOS, set nvidiaweb true, and install web drivers (possible need to boot with nv_disable=1 to get to desktop to install web drivers first time)

Some folks are reporting that pascal on 10.13 for them requires lilu.kext and nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext, especially if using a SMBIOS that is less forgiving such as macpro6,1, imac17,* or imac18,*. I use iMac14,2 which does not require these things. But for folks that are having trouble installing High Sierra on a discrete gpu but have an intel IGPU, I strongly recommend getting things working on the IGPU first then worrying about the discrete gpu.
Thabk you for the insight.

I set igpu as primary. Now everything is working off it now.
The problem is, if i boot with nothing checked but intel inject, it’ll keep restarting once the loading bar is almost finished.
But with nv_disabled=1, i get to finish loading, and see this loading i attached below.

Edit: wait. Actually, i havent been able to boot high sierra up after installation.
After installation, when i get asked to fill info and stuff, i installed nvidia wed driver. So i did, and it said something like “issue” and if i wanted to continue, and I did.
And now i havent gotten a single success boot up whether glitchy or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 306
I have the same issue, but after installing Nvidia Web Drivers for macOS 10.13. Like everyone mentioned the bar loaded half way and then the spinning circle appeared and started overlapping itself. I'm completely stuck.

P.S: I did a clean install with the usb. Did not upgrade from sierra. Hope we get this fixed.

UPDATE: Tried to boot with the Intel Integrated gpu (enabling it from bios and inject intel from clover) but the problem persists. I also tried uninstalling nvidia web driver through commands in terminal. Still no luck. Really hope this get fixed.

Last edited:
Only some people managed to get it to work through updating and they dont say anything except posting the “working” screenshot, and then disappeared into the mist.

I will get back to 10.12 tomorrow, and wait for proper update guide.

I had the same problem, the installation got stuck. The only thing that I hadn't done from the installation instructions was that I hadn’t copy the FakeSMC.key and all the rest keys multibeast installed on the System/Library/Extensions (at first I didn’t know where the FakeSMC.key was ).
Now that I’ve copied all the necessary files to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other the installation proceeds without any problem.

I had the same problem, the installation got stuck. The only thing that I hadn't done from the installation instructions was that I hadn’t copy the FakeSMC.key and all the rest keys multibeast installed on the System/Library/Extensions (at first I didn’t know where the FakeSMC.key was ).
Now that I’ve copied all the necessary files to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other the installation proceeds without any problem.
Update was a problem to me after I followed the guide. But fresh install worked for me.
After fresh installation, I was booted for the first time to fill info and stuff. Managed to get into High Sierra desktop fine. Immediately restart, and, doesn't what I do, I won't get into High Sierra ever again. It's either loading bar stops at ~60% or overlapping/freezing spinner, or bootloop.

To sum up:
- Update following the guide don't work.
- Fresh install works, but I can only get into high sierra one time after installation. Close my system and I never ever get into it again.
- I'm going back to 10.12

Update was a problem to me after I followed the guide. But fresh install worked for me.
After fresh installation, I was booted for the first time to fill info and stuff. Managed to get into High Sierra desktop fine. Immediately restart, and, doesn't what I do, I won't get into High Sierra ever again. It's either loading bar stops at ~60% or overlapping/freezing spinner, or bootloop.

To sum up:
- Update following the guide don't work.
- Fresh install works, but I can only get into high sierra one time after installation. Close my system and I never ever get into it again.
- I'm going back to 10.12

Yes the installation did not complete, and I never saw the high sierra desktop. I'm carbon coping back to my previous sierra instalation and wait a few days for a new procedure. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back