Contribute
Register

[Solved] High Sierra Direct update stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also getting stuck on boot after High Sierra upgrade.

Booting verbose gives the error of...

...com.apple.WindowServer) <Notice>: Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

GA-Z170X-UD5-TH
NVME Samsung Evo 850 256GB
Nvidia GT 740

I have the exact same setup at work and home, upgrade at home went fine, this work computer is giving this error.

I've tried copying my EFI partition from the home computer and boot the work one with its clover configuration but it still gives the same error.

IMG_9950.JPG IMG_9951.JPG

I finally got the WindowServer error to go away by physically removing the GPU from my computer and booting with my Intel iGPU. It went past that screen finally and I was able to finish installing High Sierra. I then installed the new Nvidia drivers and then reinstalled my GPU and everything worked fine.

Remember to re-enable the Nvidia driver in Clover after you put the GPU back in.

I'm having this issue trying to do a clean install. Does anyone know what it's about?
IMG_1840.JPG

I finally got the WindowServer error to go away by physically removing the GPU from my computer and booting with my Intel iGPU. It went past that screen finally and I was able to finish installing High Sierra. I then installed the new Nvidia drivers and then reinstalled my GPU and everything worked fine.

Remember to re-enable the Nvidia driver in Clover after you put the GPU back in.

Can you explain more please? Thank you.

The issue is explained by Rehabman in this thread, with a software fix :
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/windowserver-service-only-ran-for-0-seconds.232900/page-2

Basically if you don't want to do "complex" manipulations in your files (I say complex cause I don't understand them, but since it's very well explained I guess one can just follow blindly), you can just remove your discrete GPU from your computer and use the integrated GPU (of your CPU) for installing High Sierra. The issue comes from the fact that we have iGPU + Nvidia GPU in the computer and High Sierra installer doesn't like it.

Once you're done installing, get Nvidia web drivers and connect your discrete GPU once again (and as Adar said don't forget to tell clover to use Nvidia, not the iGPU anymore).

Many thanks adar !
You save my day.

Now I have another problem: DVI and HDMI don't work together.
Do you have any idea ?

Just to indicate how I managed to update if other have the same setup as mine and some issues : I went into the bios, found the iGUP and put it on disabled, saved and reboot, then I got an error from the installer telling me it couldn't find the right bundle. So reboot back into Sierra, then I deleted the installer, redownloaded it from the AppStore, relaunched the install process and all went well =)

Installation hangs at about 90% and throws this image...

1E052C4D-F641-4CA7-B77A-DD11E8AE10E6.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back