2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. SE
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

Just finished upgrading several machines to 10.11. I was already using Clover so everything went smooth after updating it and making the boot additions. However one machine seems to have a kernel_task running at ~50% of a core constantly. I'm looking for any thoughts on how to track this down.

I saw some things online about this possibly being related to ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin in Yosemite (although I didn't notice it running that), and tried disabling it for my system type (MacPro3,1), but it didn't seem to have any effect. So I put it back.

I don't see the kernel_task activity related to any running application in Activity Monitor, but I wish I could see more detail on what that kernel_task is. Anyone know a way?

At this point, I'm up for any suggestions. While it's not a showstopper it's pretty annoying as it bumps the fan up even when "idle."

Some machine info if it helps, but

Thanks!

-James

====

GA-P55A-UD4P with i7 3.2Ghz (reports as 2.93Ghz in About This Mac, not sure if that's just cosmetic?)
Latest Clover, using DSDT from TonyMac DSDT
Boot flags: -v dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 PCIRootUID=1 (I guess I can remove kext-dev-mode=1 as that has no effect now?)

Some Clover settings:

GenerateCStates: Yes
GeneratePStates: Yes
Drop OEM_DSM
XMPDetection to No
Check USB Inject
Check USB FixOwnership
Check High Current

High kernel_task CPU after upgrade to 10.11

I swear some times the act of posting for help is all it takes. ;) I decided to try and disable the nVidia Web drivers after seeing some suspicious things logged in Console. That did the trick. I have another machine using them with the same card (GeForce 640 GT) which is fine, so much be something with this different motherboard.

Anyway... problem solved in case anyone else hits it.

GA-P55A-UD4P with i7 3.2Ghz (reports as 2.93Ghz in About This Mac, not sure if that's just cosmetic?)
Latest Clover, using DSDT from TonyMac DSDT
Boot flags: -v dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 PCIRootUID=1 (I guess I can remove kext-dev-mode=1 as that has no effect now?)

Some Clover settings:

GenerateCStates: Yes
GeneratePStates: Yes
Drop OEM_DSM
XMPDetection to No
Check USB Inject
Check USB FixOwnership
Check High Current

Hi James,

I too am using a P55A-UD4P (currently using Chimera on 10.10) and was wondering if you could post a short how-to or some more info (kexts installed, audio fixes used etc) on how to switch to Clover and install El Capitan on this board.

In particular I would be interested in what you have done with regards to USB (especially USB 3.0) as this seems to be a particularly troublesome area when using this mobo on 10.11.

Others have reported limited success in updating and I was hoping to get some more information before attempting the update.

Thanks in advance
blu3_v2

Well, to start I can tell you that this is basically my "old" machine that has been through several OS X upgrades, and I don't use any USB3 devices with it. So I didn't really try any of the 10.11 USB fixes floating around. I do have USB2 working though.

I switched over to Clover during Yosemite to get Messages and FaceTime working properly (with proper serial numbers, etc), so updating to El Capitan was just a matter of updating Clover and adding those two new entries in the RT variables for me. I don't really have time for a super detailed How-To (and I'm sure I'd leave something out as it's been a while! :) ) but here would be the general flow that might be helpful. Clone things and use at your own risk! :

1) Getting EFI partition prepared:

At the command line:

disktutil list (use this to locate the EFI partition on your system drive and make note, something like disk0s1 or disk1s1 or whatever)
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1 (use whatever partition you located above with r in front!)

2) Install latest Clover (I used R3280)

During install steps click "Customize" button and configure:

- Check "Install Clover in the ESP"
- Check "Bootloader / Install boot0af in MBR"
- Check "Install RC scripts on target volume"

3) After install, copy current DSDT.aml from Extra into /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

4) Clover configuration. This is the most involving part. I've attached what I'm using as my current /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist (for El Capitan) with the SMBIOS section *removed* and MLB and ROM keys from RtVariables *removed* -- as they are unique to my system. You'll want to generate your own or move things over from your current SMBIOS.plist. I use Clover Configurator to edit and adjust things, it's very handy for mounting the EFI partition and making changes. NOTE: This is the config.plist I have in El Capitan, with those couple removals. To use it in Yosemite first, you'd have to add the kext-dev-mode=1 boot param Yosemite wants. And you should add your smbios info.

5) Kexts -- I've moved all my custom kexts from /System/Library/Extensions to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and removed all the 10.* directories from in there. To start I had:

FakeSMC.kext (necessary and should be most current for El Capitan)
RealtekRTL81xx.kext (for ethernet)
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext (added this long ago, forget why at this point :))
JMicronATA.kext (added this long ago, forget why at this point :))

6) Use Toledo's audio fix from https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC Basically download the audio_cloverALC-110.command and run it and Yes to everything. All audio works, survives updates, headphones jack, etc. :)

Note: This config.plist is setup to inject Nvidia since I use a GeForce 640 GT on the machine. It also also has a patch in it for TRIM support on SSDs, and would have some entries that Toledo's audio fix makes, but you'd still need to run his command.

Anyway, hopefully some of that helps.

-James

Attachments

• config.plist
    4 KB · Views: 189
Awesome guide.

Thanks for all of those details, they answered a few nagging questions I had.

I feel much more confident in upgrading now, will let you know if I run into any issues. Don't really want to spring for an upgrade yet as this PC still runs plenty fast enough for my needs. Hopefully if can survive this update as well as more in the future.

Glad to hear. Let me know how it goes.

I agree, it's been a great system for OS X. Plenty fast, especially when loaded with ram and an ssd. I'll be using it at home until something major dies I'm sure. :)

Good luck...

@blu3_v2 Just wondering how you made out trying to upgrade to 10.11? I am getting ready to make the same upgrade and my hardware is very close to yours. Any tips would be appreciated.

I am yet to upgrade to El Capitan on the hardware in my signature. I will report back once I have made the switch.

Apparently the NEC/Renesas USB3 problem has still not been solved, apart from that everything else should work without any issues using instructions found on the forums

I am having a similar issue and in my clover efi 10.11 folder there are no kexts, but nothing else is malfunctioning. The kernel_task is very high cpu/memory usage and shows high output on the network tab of activity monitor.

Have tried all the methods suggested above in this thread, and still no dice. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back