Contribute
Register

[Solved] help needed with HS install/upgrade on 16,2 with M.2 SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Your error message had already indicated what went wrong:
  • The installer file you downloaded might be corrupt or had a missing DLL file. As a result your upgrade failed. That is the essence of that message.
  • Unfortunately, the failed upgrade installation made a mess of the original system disk.
    • It left behind some files in your system disk's root that would block any further attempted upgrade as happened to you.
    • It also left behind a useless "Installer icon" in your CBM screen
    • I advised you to remove the left over file bits and redownload the macOS Installer file .
    • I advised you to check the integrity of the file using md5 checksum or sha-1 before trying to perform another upgrade install with it or
    • better still a clean install using a newly created USB installer on the hard disk to make sure the disk has no further interfering files from previous install to cause another boot issue.
    • You had your own reasons not to pursue that.
  • I don't know of any other way to perform a 'post mortem analysis' of the prior upgrade crash or a need for that when the answer is already very obvious and supported by your current post that says
Well,
  • I tried several versions of the installer, and I am sure it was not the download: I had also tried with the download I used to create an USB stick with on a mac later. And that boots without panic.
  • When the installation fails, the kernel panic happens right in the beginning of the installation process. I do not think any files have been moved at that point.
  • The original system disk is not a mess - it is fine - I can still boot Sierra from it without any problems - the systems seems completely unchanged - despite the Installation folder in the root directory. I can remove that - and the Installer Icon disappears.
  • I did followed all your advice, and it did not help - no problem there - I am thankful for your comments - I know you are trying to help!
  • You had also mentioned that I might have something installed that is not compatible with High Sierra, causing the panic - and instead of doing a clean install, I wanted to keep my configuration, installation and everything instead of doing everything all over again. I guess that's a reason one can understand.
My question was therefore how can I find the incompatible software code - and that the cleanup_installer failed is something I had noticed before ;o) It just does not point me at anything useful.

I fear I'll have to do another clean install - I was quite glad that my system just worked - and I was able to install the last updates without problems...
Thanks for trying to help...
Rudolf

Well,
  • I tried several versions of the installer, and I am sure it was not the download: I had also tried with the download I used to create an USB stick with on a mac later. And that boots without panic.
  • When the installation fails, the kernel panic happens right in the beginning of the installation process. I do not think any files have been moved at that point.
  • The original system disk is not a mess - it is fine - I can still boot Sierra from it without any problems - the systems seems completely unchanged - despite the Installation folder in the root directory. I can remove that - and the Installer Icon disappears.
  • I did followed all your advice, and it did not help - no problem there - I am thankful for your comments - I know you are trying to help!
  • You had also mentioned that I might have something installed that is not compatible with High Sierra, causing the panic - and instead of doing a clean install, I wanted to keep my configuration, installation and everything instead of doing everything all over again. I guess that's a reason one can understand.
My question was therefore how can I find the incompatible software code - and that the cleanup_installer failed is something I had noticed before ;o) It just does not point me at anything useful.

I fear I'll have to do another clean install - I was quite glad that my system just worked - and I was able to install the last updates without problems...
Thanks for trying to help...
Rudolf

I was quite glad that my system just worked - and I was able to install the last updates without problems...

Very nice to know you were finally able to upgrade the System to macOS High Sierra without losing any of your prior software use. I was then wrong in my assumption that you would not be able to upgrade from 10.12.6 without removing the macOS Install Data folder from your disk. You can close the thread as [SOLVED] added to the title for others to read your post as a resource for that problem.

Very nice to know you were finally able to upgrade the System to macOS High Sierra without losing any of your prior software use. I was then wrong in my assumption that you would not be able to upgrade from 10.12.6 without removing the macOS Install Data folder from your disk. You can close the thread as [SOLVED] added to the title for others to read your post as a resource for that problem.

misunderstanding: My system works nicely with Sierra, but not with High Sierra, as I have described earlier.

The system disk is not a mess as you suggested, because it still works perfectly with Sierra.
The installation did not really do anything but panic early in the boot process, and I would love to know what is failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back