Contribute
Register

[solved] HDMI Output (and video over USB-C) not working on ASUS Zenbook UX310UA with Intel HD 620

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can use one of your plist's patches for this platform, to use 306 as 105, right?

Assuming your laptop does not use 0105, yes.

Ok, using 306 as 105 worked! Finally! Thank you very much RehabMan! Now I'm only experiencing some flickering in the external screen, on the bottom of the screen, but I will see if this happens too with another screen and another cable. The most important part is that I now have HDMI output over the usb hub, as I wanted.

Ok, I tried with a different screen and different HDMI cable, and I still see a flickering in the screen. This does not happen if I use the HDMI directly in the HDMI port on the laptop. It is not the adapter either, I borrowed a different USB-C to HDMI adapter from a friend, and the same happened. I'm using the patch for 306 as 105.

I tried with other patches, none worked, I can only get video using 306 as 105. I don't know how to enable 306 with my ig-platform-id if that's needed. In ioreg I can see the external screen connected to 105, and it appears as a 04 port type (not HDMI). That is correct I presume.

A thing I can see is that I don't have any option to mirror or extend using the USB-C video output. Is this correct? With HDMI I can see the external screen in screen settings, and I can choose to mirror or extend. With the USB-C as it is now, I can't do that, I only get extend screen if the laptop's lid is open (internal screen is active), or use it as the internal if the laptop's lid is closed.

EDIT: Problem reporting files attached

EDIT 2: If I let the screen go to sleep by not touching anything for more than 10 mins, when I wake up the screen, the flickering is much worse, and it remains badly flickering until I go to the screen settings, and change for example 60Hz to 50Hz. After that, the flickering return to normal. It flickers, but not so much as after waking the screen. The difference is really noticeable. Then I can set it 60Hz again and no problem. But again, if I let the screen go off, when I touch a key on the keyboard or mouse to turn on the screen, the flickering is noticeably worse again.

Attachments

• debug_30295.zip
    12.8 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Ok, I tried with a different screen and different HDMI cable, and I still see a flickering in the screen. This does not happen if I use the HDMI directly in the HDMI port on the laptop. It is not the adapter either, I borrowed a different USB-C to HDMI adapter from a friend, and the same happened. I'm using the patch for 306 as 105.

I tried with other patches, none worked, I can only get video using 306 as 105. I don't know how to enable 306 with my ig-platform-id if that's needed. In ioreg I can see the external screen connected to 105, and it appears as a 04 port type (not HDMI). That is correct I presume.

A thing I can see is that I don't have any option to mirror or extend using the USB-C video output. Is this correct? With HDMI I can see the external screen in screen settings, and I can choose to mirror or extend. With the USB-C as it is now, I can't do that, I only get extend screen if the laptop's lid is open (internal screen is active), or use it as the internal if the laptop's lid is closed.

EDIT: Problem reporting files attached

EDIT 2: If I let the screen go to sleep by not touching anything for more than 10 mins, when I wake up the screen, the flickering is much worse, and it remains badly flickering until I go to the screen settings, and change for example 60Hz to 50Hz. After that, the flickering return to normal. It flickers, but not so much as after waking the screen. The difference is really noticeable. Then I can set it 60Hz again and no problem. But again, if I let the screen go off, when I touch a key on the keyboard or mouse to turn on the screen, the flickering is noticeably worse again.

Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

I didn't check anything else.

Nothing changed. New problem reporting files attached.

EDIT: After a reboot, the flickering was horrible, so I've changed to 50Hz and back to 60Hz, and returned to normal, flickering was there but not so bad. Then I was using it like this for some hours, and I decided to try changing the resolution. Switched to 1600 x 900, flickering persisted. Switched to 720p, flickering persisted. Switched back to 1080p (the external monitor default res), and flickering stopped 0_0

EDIT 2: Rebooted, and the flickering started again, so I went through the same process, switching resolution and Hz. I did it many times, sometimes the flickering got worse, some other times it got tolerable, and after like 20 times or so of changing screen res, it is gone again, no flickering.

Definitely something is wrong with the graphics implementation and not with hardware.

Attachments

• debug_14984.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
This is finally 100% solved.

I've updated to MacOS 10.13.6 (I was using 10.13.5, the update to .6 came out today), and I started to have problems, no signal over the USB-C again. So, I've found out I had to enable \System\Library\Extensions\AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext in ForceKextsToLoad again, and I realized I was using 0x591b0000 as my ig-platform-id (Intel HD 630), but my system has an Intel HD 620, not 630 (I know, it does not really matter, but it lead me to the solution). So, I've changed the ig-platform-id to 0x59160000 (Intel HD 620), and after rebooting the problem was ALMOST gone. I mean, flickering were still present, but it was almost non-existent. I decided to keep testing ID's for Kabylake, one of them caused KP at boot, others solved the flickering problem but the laptop's screen colors were weird, and one of them finally had it all: 0x591e0000 (Intel HD 615). External screen over USB-C works perfectly, no flickering. Laptop's screen shows perfectly fine too. I have full QE/CI acceleration, and System Info tells me I am using an Intel HD 620 with 1536mb regardless of using an ID for the Intel HD 615.

So, resuming, all the problems with graphics are solved now.

Last edited:
This is finally 100% solved.

I've updated to MacOS 10.13.6 (I was using 10.13.5, the update to .6 came out today), and I started to have problems, no signal over the USB-C again. So, I've found out I had to enable \System\Library\Extensions\AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext in ForceKextsToLoad again, and I realized I was using 0x591b0000 as my ig-platform-id (Intel HD 630), but my system has an Intel HD 620, not 630 (I know, it does not really matter, but it lead me to the solution). So, I've changed the ig-platform-id to 0x59160000 (Intel HD 620), and after rebooting the problem was ALMOST gone. I mean, flickering were still present, but it was almost non-existent. I decided to keep testing ID's for Kabylake, one of them caused KP at boot, others solved the flickering problem but the laptop's screen colors were weird, and one of them finally had it all: 0x591e0000 (Intel HD 615). External screen over USB-C works perfectly, no flickering. Laptop's screen shows perfectly fine too. I have full QE/CI acceleration, and System Info tells me I am using an Intel HD 620 with 1536mb regardless of using an ID for the Intel HD 615.

So, resuming, all the problems with graphics are solved now.

Marked solved.
Trying different ig-platform-id values always a good idea (trial/error).

Man, I don't know how you do it. I just changed my SMBIOS to MacBook Pro 14.1 and HDMI worked flawlessly, without needing to change anything. I'm always learning with you, thanks RehabMan.
Yeah I changed to 14.1 and all my HDMI issues went away! Unbelievable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back